How do you pick your carry ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by rolltideray, Jul 4, 2010.

1. rolltideray

rolltideray XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to know how everyone picks their carry ammo.
    I usually look at ballistic information on the web, watch you-tube videos and run a box of ammo through my gun to make my decision. I am interested in more in depth testing of my ammo in the future.

2. Taildraggerdave

Taildraggerdave XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I usually chrono the loads as well to see how they do in MY gun verses what the factory said it did in their test barrel. Then compare that with the fps and energy data that I'm looking to get.

I suppose you could also test whatever load you liked in wet phone books or consumer grade ballistic gelatin.

Take care,
    Dave

3. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    Tough to go wrong w/ what your local PD carries. THey often use well tested rounds. Regardless, you should always test fire your chosen ammo in YOUR gun, 50rds min from fully loaded carry mags. If you are just curious, wetpack testing is easily done by the backyard scientist.

4. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +237 / 4
    I read this:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

It's by one of the foremost experts in the field of terminal ballistics. He's done the ballistics testing, he knows what he's talking about.

Then, I choose one of the suggested loads in the caliber, take it to the range, and try it out. If it runs 100%, and shoots with what I deem acceptible accuracy and control, I say it's good to go.

I also tend to choose the heavier bullets for any given caliber; they tend to have a slight edge in penetration, and still expand properly.

The suggestion of going with what the local PD runs with is also not a bad idea, as long as your pistol likes it.

But the bottom line is--you've gotta shoot it first, and verify it's reliability. Checking for expansion and stuff is fun, and I won't dissuade anyone from doing it (done it plenty m'self), but any modern, premium JHP is gonna expand just peachy.

FWIW, I mainly run with 9mm and .45 for my carry calibers; I like 147gr HST, Gold Dot, and Ranger-T in 9mm, and 230gr .45 pills in the same makes. They all run 100% in my carry pistols, and I can usually find one of them when I'm in the mood to buy more carry ammo.

5. aaron1984

aaron1984 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I usually go for speer gold dot's if I can't get those I grab corbon's but I do have some winchester white box for SHTF situations and some PDX's in my backup stash.

6. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    +1 on both of these, youtube is the worst place to get information on carry ammo, I wouldn't choose a doctor from information on youtube nor a baby sitter.

7. sdprof

sdprof XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +300 / 1
    Given that the two factors that really matter, from what I've read here and elsewhere, are will it go bang every time you pull the trigger, and can you place the shots on the target, I think the all the measurement and hoopla of bullet x versus bullet y is of less concern. Really, do two quality bullets of similar characteristics differ in the tests by more than, say 5-10%?

So I've chosen a round I can afford to shoot regularly, and there's an FMJ round from the same maker that's similar enough to give me more practice for my buck.

Added to that is the bonus that my chosen round is made locally by a well respected company, and I can buy it at the LGS for prices not far off from the cost of other name brands at WallyWorld. So more of my money stays within my town's economy.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

8. Tpop9

Tpop9 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Isn't this hard to do since some LEO ammo is sold exclusively to PD only? And rarely does a shop sell LEO ammo to the general public. Take for instance the Winchester SXT, hard to find a shop that'll sell it to the GP.

9. rolltideray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tpop9 I'm just down the road in Scotsboro, AL. I usually hit up Larry's about twice a month to use the range, but have not found any LEO ammo there. I have bought some online at ammunitiontogo. It did cost a little more due to the shipping but if you buy a few boxes the shipping cost is not as bad.

10. Reyort

Reyort XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I run mine through as real world tests as I can. I put together wet packs with various barriers in front of it and measure expansion and penetration. Right now Remington's Golden Saber has good marks. Hornady's XTP's did not do so well. One thing I learned is shot placement is king above all else.

11. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I check the ballistics tests, and run a couple hundred through my gun to test for reliability. I've ended up with Corbon DPX in 9mm and .40 S&W, and Buffalo Bore in .357 mag. Using what the local LEOs use MIGHT be a good idea, depending on the reason they use it. They have different needs and criteria than we do. Same with the FBI - their word on ammo ain't from God. Some agencies might even use an ammo because the manufacturer gave them a killer deal just to say, "XXX Agency uses our ammo."

12. fredj338

Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    WEll there are other rounds. the RGS, XTP & SGD are sold at most gunshops. Besides, the vast majority of serious shooters are ordering their ammo on line for best prices. Many of the current LEA rounds are sold to the public, yes it's legal.
    This is very true. Too many shooters, even experienced ones, will get all worked up about this or thant "best" JHP round. Consider that the diff n "best" & pretty good is measured in 1000 of an inch, it's more about your ability to place rounds & that the rounds are 100% in your gun. The rest will sort itself out IMO.

13. simboden

simboden XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My motto: silver at the Olympics is still pretty dang good.

14. fredj338

Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    That used to be pretty much true, but not raelly for the last 20yrs or so. Agencies get sued, both by victims & their own officers if something goes terribley wrong. Even the small agenecies will buy quality ammo that the larger agencies buy. Every civilian has access to Speer GoldDots or most anything else that any LEA carries. You just may have to look around for it. Whatever you do, never buy just becasue the guy at the gunshop or range says it's "the best". Most of them have never shot anything but paper.:roll:

15. rolltideray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I learned very fast not to listen tho the gun shops. When I bought my pistol they talked me into buying Pow'R Balls for 30 dollars. Should have waited.