How did you go about getting insurance when you started carrying?

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by ksbsnowowl, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ksbsnowowl

ksbsnowowl XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Waiting on my CCW approval, and I'm trying to look into getting personal liability insurance. I e-mailed my insurance agent last weekend, and he still hasn't responded...

So, how did you all go about getting your liability insurance?

Edit: Finally got in contact with my agent's office, and the lady I talked to said it is unclear if an umbrella policy would apply for a justified shoot. Her husband and friends have their CCW permits, and they actually looked into this, and the broker they were researching through said the policies say nothing for or against coverage, so it's really a matter of how lawyers would want to interpret the policy if the situation came up....

Grrr...

2. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    "Insurance? We don't need no stinkin' insurance." Actually, never thought of it. Would it cover a civil suit? Seems to me you're opening a can of worms best left closed. The insurance company might decide to jack your rate now.

3. nickb

nickb XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I've yet to read a policy that excludes use of a firearm specifically. They exclude coverage for "intentional harm" you cause. But they usually give coverage back when said harm is caused in self defense.

The give back above pertains to civil issues only. I've not seen a policy that will defend you if you are brought up on criminal charges. (Maybe NRA, but probably only some form of reimbursement if you are acquitted.)

BTW. It's not up to the lawyers. It's up to the judge and jury, which is why it's tough to get a clear answer on the matter. Each case is going to be a little different and you won't know what's what for sure until it's over.

You may want to compare what your agent can provide to what the NRA offers. It may be worth having both.

The best advice I can give is this. Read both policies yourself and talk to an attorney that does that kind of work.

4. mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's what is lovely about certain states. I've not read this anywhere, but during my CCDW class, the instructor noted that if you ever get in to a situation where you have to defend yourself, and it is JUSTIFIED, you cannot have civil charges filed against you. That is, of course, in Kentucky.

5. ksbsnowowl

ksbsnowowl XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Just this past week, here on XDtalk, I read a post where someone in Arizona performed a justified shoot, and even though the state has civil immunity, they were charged anyway.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/164977-bar-grill-guns-4.html#post2677521

6. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Your instructor misled you. This is America. Anyone can sue anyone at anytime about anything in any state. Whether it's heard depends on the judge, the lawyers, and maybe the phase of the moon...
    Regards,
    Bushy

7. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +267 / 12
    I got mine through the NRA. Their vendors have policies for every contingency.

8. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +267 / 12

As an NRA Certified Instructor my assessment of your instructor would not be as kind. In every one of my classes (nwohioccw.com) I have a criminal defense attorney do a 90-minute presentation on concealed carry law and "what if" scenarios.

9. Jvance325

Jvance325 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Castle Doctorine here in SC is actually worded to protect a victim from a civil suit (wrongful death, etc) from the BG's family. They cannot sue you.

10. rtparso

rtparso XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I agree in NM Judges do what they want. As far as the original question; I have USAA and I checked. I am covered for personal liability.

11. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Some states specifically protect you from criminal prosecution and some states also protect you from civil liability if found to be a good shoot. The OP you're referring to is correct. You were misled.

12. Tornadic

Tornadic XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whether or not they have grounds to sue you, they can sure try. And YOU have to pay for a lawyer to defend yourself, even if it doesn't come to trial. And you cannot recoup your legal expenses unless you can prove fraud or malicious intent on the plaintiffs part.

Unfortunately, I know these from current personal experiences. Some bonehead has been suing me for two years for a breach of contract where there was no contract. A few thousand dollars later, still haven't been to court. Even when the judges rules in my favor, I'm still out the moolah. Welcome to the United States legal system! Honestly, though, i can't compare it to any others, it might be the best out there.

13. CW45

CW45 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK is identical except it also covers you on the civil side. If the DA determines the shooting was JUSTIFIED no criminal or civil liability falls on the shooter. However the shooting must be determined to be JUSTIFIED by the DA. If you are charged and found not-guilty you STILL can and probably will be sued civilly

The liability policies I have seen only cover what you are ordered to pay the person who sues you if they win. Paying for the lawyer and experts falls on the policyholder..