Hornady or RCBS press

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by sparkysteve, May 28, 2012.

1. sparkysteve

sparkysteve XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've decided to start reloading. I'm looking at these 2 kits from Cabela's:

Cabela's: RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Select Reloading Kit

Cabela's: Hornady® Lock-N-Load® Classic Auto Charge Deluxe Reloading Kit

I'm kind of new to reloading and looking for input on these to brands. I know the Hornady setup has the Lock n Load feature which seems cool. Pretty new to it all. I'm planning to reload .40, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .223, and .30-06. Any experience and input you guys have would be great.

2. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    You are looking at the 2 most popular reloading pressed. This makes for a tough decision. I wouldn't be surprised if both of the presses were made by the same manufacturer. You can't go wrong with either press. I have the RCBS because I use all that brand. It comes down to the other items in the groups that you are considering plus the rebates. Electronic powder measurer or manual measurer? Another tough call. The RCBS will need add on rifle and pistol micro meters (another approx $80), can be bought later. I have no information an the reliability of the Hornady scale. It may come down to the rebates, free bullets or $50 rebate.
    Either set will last you a lifetime, with possibility an exception of the electronic scale vs the manual one. Presses don't wear out. Most old timers have the RCBS, but I would be happy with either.

3. rayikeo2

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have 2 manual powder measures, 1 RCBS and 1 Hornady (by a previous name company). Both have the micro meters. One for big rifle charges and one for very small pistol charges. Both of these are at least 30 years old and both work perfect with almost no varriation in powder charges, large or small. I also have a cheaper brand electronic scale to verify that I have the correct charge that I set on the manual measurer. I double check for safety.
    Get some other input from users like me before you decide. Good loading with either set.
    Professional rifle reloaders have used the RCBS Rock Chucker Press for many, many years. They will load everything with the exception of 50BMG.
    I believe the Hornady would do the same.

4. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0
    Either are great setups w/ really good accessories. I am not a fan of the LNL bushing setup, seen them come loose too often on their progressive, but on a ss, not an issue. You set the dies once anyway, screw them in & out, so for me, the bushing is just something else to go wrong.

5. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the Lock-N-Load Classic here. Very happy with it.

6. mongovb

mongovb XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know it is not either of your 2 choices, but, why not get a Lee deluxe Classic turret press for under 200 and learn on that? The reason I say this is because in time you will want to upgrade to a progressive which will be another 400 and up. And believe me, you will want to if you do batches larger than 50 rounds. There are some guys that find reloading therapeutic. I dont care for it. I do it for the savings. If you got the cash, then why not, but, if your budget is a big consideration, I would go with the lee deluxe turret press kit. The money you save on equipment costs could go towards components. Please dont get me wrong, the choices you have are very good though. I started on a Lee turret and still use it for my 308 loads since they are small batches. Just a thought to consider.

Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit, Presses & Dies, Reloading, Shooting : Cabela's

7. LCFD#22

LCFD#22 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is your main focus? Pistol or rifle. That will tell a lot about which accessories are worth more to you. Both are great so take a little time and research. Welcome to another addiction.

8. sparkysteve

sparkysteve XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I probably shoot rifles more than anything. I just built and AR and have a few other .223's. I don't shoot mass amounts of handgun ammo, but would shoot more if I could do it a little cheaper. Being able to load handgun ammo quickly is one of the reasons I like the RCBS kit with the powder measure.

9. rayikeo2

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I don't know of any rifle reloaders that use a progressive. I know a lot that use single stage presses like the RCBS. Ammo for an AK, I can't give any advice on because I have never loaded that caliber. On my single stage I load for recerational and hunting purposses. I reload 300 win, 270 win, 243 win, 30-30 win, .45 acp, 38 & 357 mag, 9mm, and 380 acp, all on my single stage. I usually only load 50 to 100 per session. These last me for a couple shooting practice events. I have never felt the need for a progressive because I don't shoot competition. Presses last a lifetime. With that in mind, skip the cheap outfits that you plan on replacing after you learn the process. Get quality now and pass it down to your kids and grandkids for them to enjoy after you are finished using them. :mrgreen: It always costs more in the long run to buy cheap equipment. That applys to everything like, tools, guns, fishing equipment, reloaders and everything else you plan to keep and use a lot. Get the good stuff the first time and do not worry about replacing it later.

10. oif0709

oif0709 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use my dillon 550 for rifle but I can use it in single stage mode for precision work. The powder drop isn't bad but it doesn't meter the powder the best. Not varget anyway. Its fine for cranking out plinking rounds. Actually havnt reloaded pistol yet.

Now I can say for a fact that rcbs customer service is amazing. I had an old manual powder measure with a cracked hopper. Got it used for next to nothing. After exchanging emails and a photo I sent the old one in and they sent me a new one for free. That's about $100 give or take. Good company. Havnt used any of their new equipment otherwise it really holds up over years of use.

11. mongovb

mongovb XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am pretty sure my Lee classic turret press will be around for quite a while and if you were talking about progressives I would agree. I seriously doubt there is a 200 dollar difference even between those and the Lee single stages. My Lee turret sits proudly next to my Dillon XL650 and I will never get rid of it. It has served me well, but, its just too slow for the amount of ammo I load. Im pretty sure I just stirred up a hornets nest.:cool:

12. BUZ124

BUZ124 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Rcbs is great for a beginner

If you want to load more quickly, one of the progressive Dillon presses will serve you well

I have Rcbs and Dillon but I use the Dillon presses the most, I get to spend more time shooting than I do reloading

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

13. rouxster

rouxster XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hands down, the Dillon 550 is the easiest and press for a beginner to load on. There are tons of videos on YouTube that will teach you how to tune it and set it up. It is a great press. You really should consider the Dillon.

14. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0
    I load my 308 & 223 on a 550B, it's just as accurate as ammo loaded on my ss press, at least out of the guns I am shooting them in (AR & M1). IMO, a good ss press is never a waist, even if you upgrade to a progressive later on for handgun. I load on a 550B & 650 & still use my ss press a lot.

15. EMN83

EMN83 XDTalk 30K Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I love my RCBS Rockchucker. Thought about getting a progressive, but I'm anal enough that I don't trust a progressive...even though I know they are reliable...it's a personality quirk