Hornady L-N-L Strong Mount and Roller Handle Arm

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Cranium, May 7, 2011.

1. Cranium

Cranium XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just did a couple of mods to my Hornady that I liked on the Dillon. These are the strong mount and roller handle arm.

The mount is a piece of 6" aluminum I-beam from a scrap yard by my house. It cost me <$20. The I-beam piece was actually $8 and they charged me $10 to cut it! LOL

I had seen the roller handle on Ultimate Reloader Roller Handle for Hornady Lock-N-Load AP « Ultimate Reloader but they were out of stock and thought: "I can make that!". The roller handle arm was a bit more expensive at $30 but still cheaper than the $58 on the website. The roller handle (from Amazon) was $20 and the steel rod (from Home Depot) was $10. All I needed to do was use a torch to heat up the rod where I wanted to bend it while in a vice and then give it a 45° bend. I then used a die to put threads on the end of the rod then ground a flat where the handle goes and tapped a hole for the handle to screw into.

I just wish I had been able to match the paint a little closer. I had read somewhere that it was close to Ford Red engine paint. It's not.

[​IMG]

2. skytop

skytop XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cranium: Do you have a part number for that roller handle? Checked Amazon but cannot seem to locate it.

The ultimate handle is 'backordered' now for many months so I will do the great job that you did and make my own. Thanks for the info.

I was fortunate in doing a search and came across a fabricator who is specializing in providing well thought out accessories for LNL and some others.
    Check out his handle and his LED light package and tray setup!
    http://www.inlinefabrication.com/ERGO_Roller.php
    http://www.inlinefabrication.com/LED_LIGHTING_SYSTEMS.html

BTW, if you still have not located the correct paint, here it is.
    You can find a good match for the Hornady red color by using Rust-Oleum &#8220;Regal Red&#8221;

3. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's what I call "Fine Art" from a true southern shade-tree mechanic.

4. Cranium

Cranium XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is the link on Amazon for the Handle: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IBBEMW/ref=wms_ohs_product]Amazon.com: 3 3/8" Lg., Revolving, 3/8-16 External thd., Polished Chrome, Machine Handle (1 Each): Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

I like the LED light idea. I've done several LED lighting projects but didn't think of adding a strip to my LNL. I think I'll have to do this now. :)

For the LED lights, you can get 5M of the strip from Amazon for under $20: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Strip-light-Waterproof-Ribbon/dp/B007SC5792/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1335844871&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Flexible led Strip light 300 LED 3528 SMD White Waterproof LED Ribbon: Home Improvement[/ame]
    You can cut these strips every 3 LEDs then power them using a 12V power supply (wall wart). You just have to solder the two wires onto the cut strip and you can seal the two ends if you want with some clear silicon, caulk or hot glue.

And if you buy the 5M, you will have 294 LEDs on the strip left over for lighting anything else you want.

5. pitandxd

pitandxd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome job!! Looks great!!

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk 2

6. pitandxd

pitandxd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is cool. Might have to look at this down the road. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk 2