Hoppes #9 Solvent safe for long term?

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by GAMEOVER, Mar 11, 2009.

1. GAMEOVER

GAMEOVER XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Is Hoppes #9 Solvent safe for long term use on the outside of your slide when cleaning? In other words.. will it strip its finish and/or damage it in anyway, long term? Better safe then sorry..

Thx

2. R1ch

R1ch XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    If it wasn't I would think that SA would have a warning in their manual. There's nothing stated there so.....

YMMV.

3. coldsolderjoint

coldsolderjoint XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    People have been using #9 for like a hundred years or something. Don't think it will do damage. But.. its really not a lubricant/protectant.. you should wipe it off and then apply some oil or clp, or whatever you prefer.

4. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    No; using #9 as a cleaning agent on the finish of your gun won't harm it.

Just remember to wipe it off with a clean cloth when you finish, and then apply a good protectant oil afterwards (not that the #9 will cause problems, but, as stated above, it has no protectant qualities...).

5. 1EYEJACK

1EYEJACK XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    GAMEOVER,

Disregard the information above, obviously the guy doesn't read the labels on the things he buys. The type of guy who knows it all and hasn't even read the manual for his Glock.
    The very first line in the description of Hoppe's no.9 solvent says "cleans bores and prevents rust in rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers". It should not be used on nickle plate, however.
    I own my Grandfathers Colt 1911 (serial number 8,xxx) that he used in WW1 it is in very good condition and I still shoot it. For most of it's almost 100 year old life, it has been maintained with Hoppe's No.9 and 3 in 1 oil.

6. coldsolderjoint

coldsolderjoint XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So your saying that its a good idea to cover your gun in #9 instead of oil?

7. GAMEOVER

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    thx

No hes saying to use #9 THEN apply some oil. Ill lightly coat a rag with some FP-10 and apply.

8. carhartt

carhartt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I use oil on the outside (if it goes in a case for awhile) but never had a problem with Hoppe's. Might wanna be careful around the sights though (seems like it might eat them, but not sure).

Actually the problem I have is that the bottle always leaks.

9. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    why not use CLP on the outside. it cleans and is a VER good rust inhibitor

all i use is break cleaner then coat the gun in CLP. and i have never had an issue with rust and i carry IWB....so the gun come into contact with my sweat during the summer andnever a spot of rust

10. 1EYEJACK

1EYEJACK XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What I was responding to was a statement that Hoppe's #9 is not a rust protectant. It definitely is. But it is not a lubricant. Hoppe's No.9 removes powder residue from the outside of the gun and fouling caused by primers. It can be used as a rust protectant on the outside, and I use it for this purpose if it is a long term storage. Otherwise, I leave a thin (thin) coating of Hoppe's No. 9 in the bore. I will take a soft rag wipe the Hoppe's No.9 from the outside (just because is a little juicy) and wipe the outside with a quality silicone cloth. Living in Florida, rust can be a problem, but not with my XDs.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  11. GAMEOVER

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yeah Flordia is NOTORIOUS for its supernatural humidity. It even says on the #9 bottle "cleans and prevents Rust". You Florida GOs im sure have come up with some pretty ingenious ways to keep your firearms rust free.

If I lived there I think id install some rust inhibitor strips inside my cases or vault and replace them as needed.

The ones who keep it in their glove box 24/7.. well ive seen what that can do and its not pretty at all.

12. XDgeek

XDgeek XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I saw on a Youtube video from an official Springfield Armorer, that Hoppe's is considered a solvent and may damage the polymer frame.

A better alternative, if this is true, would be Break Free CLP or similar.

I'm just saying what I heard, I don't know if it is true or not. I have Break Free CLP for my other firearms, so I guess I don't need to worry.

One thing I will say though - if you have Hoppe's and want to try it, spot test it firt for a few times and see if it does anything to the polymer finish or texture.

13. GAMEOVER

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Can you dig up that video for me? Id greatly appreciate it. I actually used a conservative amount to whipe down my frame! Never again if this is true.

14. XDgeek

XDgeek XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK, I found it..

YouTube - MacTeutates's Channel

Part 2 is where he talks about field stripping. If you FFWD to 5:20 and watch from there you will hear him talk about Hoppe's and then how it could be "detrimental" to the polymer casing because it is a "solvent". No more info than that. Perhaps email him if you are more curious?

I do know "solvents" can generally damage/destroy plastic, so I'm not too surprised, but perhaps it is not as big a deal in Hoppe's - maybe it is more mild.. *shrug*

15. cheddy

cheddy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My Hoppe's #9 comes in a plastic bottle so I'm going to need more evidence than just some heresay to give it credit.