homemade shooting range... whats it take???

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by mike1972, Jan 31, 2006.

1. mike1972

mike1972 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well, this is a question that i am sure many of us have wondered about in the past...

and i have googled, and googled some more to no avail...

taking into consideration how far a bullet can travel, ricochet, and lord only knows what else...

what would you guys say is needed to make a LEGAL & SAFE gunrange at home???

how much distance would you need between you and any other homes or places where people may be, to allow for stray bullets... what would you use as a backstop??? mother earth would be best but what else would be a good bullet stopper???

i would love do do something like this, but i would want it to be ABSOLUTLEY safe for not only myslef and others using the range, but others folks around the area too...

is it even doable??? i mean, lots of people go out to someones back field and shoot at cans & stuff... but i have always worried about how far any stray bullet might go... to me, it doesnt seem safe to shoot at cans in a field with a treeline behind it...

remember, one of the 4 cardinal rules is be sure of your target AS WELL AS WHAT IS BEHIND IT...

how can folks justify shooting in a direction where there are woods downrange... there could be people in those woods for gods sake!!!

but this is something i would want to be completely safe...

could you dig a pit, line the top where the ground is, making a complete horseshoe with tires filled with dirt, so that you are about 10 feet or more below the top of the tire backstop and that be legal??? what about any bullets that for who knows what reason might go over the top of your backstop???

are there any places on the web for finding laws governing such things???

2. Old School

Old School Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    The NRA has documents that will give you direction on how to do it correctly. It all starts with the ability to have a range on you property. I would also recommend a multi-million dollar umbrella on your home owner's insurance.

3. mike1972

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks old school... i doubt that this is even something i could do any time soon... but i have always wondered what the requirements (both room and cost wise) would be to do such a thing.

4. mike1972

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    found it!! NRA info... reading it now... thanks agian :)

5. shipwreck

shipwreck XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well, U need to take into account state law - even if you set up some dirt mounds to act as a back stop - you have to own a certain amt of acerage and be a certain distance from others - this varies state to state - I do not remember the specifics, but Texas law has some rules on this. The NRA stuff will tell U how to do it - look into state law 1st to see if U can

Here, if I have enough property and wanna spend a few dollars on a back stop, I can shoot all I want.

6. Luxan

Luxan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    deaf neighbors helps im sure :)

7. phaetos

phaetos XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    where's the link for that?

8. packing_in_la

packing_in_la XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Their was a post a while back with a link to the ultimate home range. It looked like the guy lived in Alaska somewhere had an extension to his house that had an indoor pistol rane, like 3 or four presses setup and ready to go, and windows that overlooked his own 300 yard outdoow range. He could shoot, reload the round, than shoot again almost with out moving. :)

9. gunslinger308

gunslinger308 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it is your land and there are no local ordenances against it ( they are usualy -no shooting on less than____acres, In Texas they are only in some countys and towns) then build a berm or dirt pile and start shooting. If you just target shoot from a fixed distance then one pile will do( 6' - 12' high with nothing higher than your pile in the background) If you want to practise ISPC type shooting you need a horse shoe shaped berm 8-10 foot high. Keep your targets close to the backstop to decrease any flyers getting past the berm.

If you don't believe in a need for a good backstop then find a long shooting lane in the woods and fire a tracer at a 100yd paper target. A 308 tracer will juke and jive all over the place. The one I saw bounced off grass, trees, and a fence post about five different hits and dirrection changes in all out to about 450yds!

10. xd4life

xd4life XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    That kinda depends on the situation is it for private use??? How about public use??? If you were outside of any Fed, Local, State laws and had enough property to do so saftelty and was for personel use, Who could tell you NO? However if you involved Joe Q public I bet there would be some dealing with getting permits from the local, state, fed level which would possibly mean the EPA. I am thinking lead would be their biggest concern.

OOOhhhhhhh Yea by the way Insurance... That might cost a little, Not sure what the going rate is but I am sure it is more monthly than most of us pay yearly for our insurance expenses.

From what I have found talking with a range owner and looking through the web you might be better funding a NASCAR team.

Maybe not that extreme.

11. mike1972

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  12. mike1972

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i remember when i was growing up, my stepdad would take me out in our back fields (we lived on a descent size piece of land and borded horses and cattle for a few folks) and we would shoot out there...

but even as a small kid, i would always wonder to myslef how far those bullets could actually go... im sure that you are right about insurance costing a small fortune, lol... i am looking into ohio laws to see what is needed land wise to be able to shoot on your own property... if ya can still even do it these days that is.

13. thirdtimesthecharm

thirdtimesthecharm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i was talking to a range owner who said that only 3 companies carry range insurance and they obviously have a strangle hold on it, so the premiums are very very high.

14. gunslinger308

gunslinger308 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dirt is the best and most cost effective back stop. Talk to the local sheriff's office about shooting on your land and the type of precautions to take. ( DO NOT TELL THEM WHO YOU ARE.... just incase they are gun hatin' pricks!!!!) They should give you the info you need. If they say it is not advisable, then make sure you research the laws and ordinences to see if it is( sometimes they tell you info that goes along with thier own beliefs regardless of what the law says) In my part of Texas any land owner can shoot on thier own land, not across other's land or county/state roads. The state leaves the choice of backstop or how the range is setup to the indevidual. Use common sense and think about gun safety. How far do you wish to shoot? The farther away the bigger your backstop needs to be.

15. JHA XD40

JHA XD40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    http://forums.sixgunner.com/m_27446/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#27446

That one?

I don't bookmark many things, but I had to save that one.

jonas