Home theater question.

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by KNO3, Oct 4, 2011.

1. KNO3

KNO3 XDTalk 20K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    So I'm trying to hook up a new TV to the home theater system and I have run into a problem. This TV does not have a analong audio out. It only has a digital audio out, and All of my devices are hooked up via HDMI. What type of cable do I need for this digital audio out to go to the home theater system?
    This is the back of the TV.

[​IMG]

2. MordeKyle

MordeKyle XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Does your audio receiver only have RCA jacks (red and white)?

If that is the case, you are going to need a converter.

3. KNO3

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    It has R, L, and D. I'm assuming the D is digital. It is a Bose 3-2-1 system so I'm not sure if I have to change settings on the unit so that it will accept digital audio either. Can I use the Red/White cables as a Digital audio cable? Obviously using either red-red or white-white as the connection.

4. Dal1as

Dal1as XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would need to know your system specs but you shouldn't need to run audio out from your tv to your system.

I'm guessing you have cable or sat? Are they hooked to a reciever? Usually the best way to hook everything up is to the reciever and then have 1 hdmi cable going to your tv for video and onboard audio.

Again I would need to know what your equipment is.

5. CGP

CGP XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It would help to know what kind of receiver you are using. Most new receivers have at least 1 fiber optic port and 1 coaxial audio port. The port on your TV is a coax port. All you need is that coax cable. Wire it up from your tv to the coax port on the receiver. Some receivers, this port can be assigned to a source, others, it's fixed to a source, usually digital.

The coax cable I'm referring to looks like this.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

Update: this cable goes to your D port on the Bose system.

6. KNO3

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Guys, read post #3. Bose 3-2-1 system. It's older and does not have HDMI.
    Looks like this one. Don't have exact model number for it at the moment.
    [​IMG]

7. KNO3

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Ok. Do I have to set the bose system to use the D port?

8. CGP

CGP XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It "should" automatically detect it. The usual recommendation is to hook the analog (RCA) together with the digital (coax). This will allow Bose to switch to analog when there's no digital signal present. Only other thing you have to do is set the source on the Bose to the corresponding source ports (aux, cable, etc).

9. KNO3

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Ok. I'll give it a try in the morning and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

10. MordeKyle

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I see what you're doing.

You have HDMI coming out of the cable box going to the TV, and running audio from the TV to the Bose receiver because you don't have HDMI on the Bose.

Here is what you can do. You can still keep the TV hooked up to the cable box, but use the RCA (red and white) from the cable box, to the RCA on the Bose. Those audio out ports on the cable box SHOULD still be active. If not, you should be able to use a regular RCA cable to hook up the digital audio out to the digital audio in on the receiver.

Edit: also, what brand TV doesn't have RCA audio out?! That seems a little premature to be phasing those connections out.

11. Ocean82

Ocean82 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your TV does have an analog audio out. It's even shown in the pic. You have a Red (Right) and White (Left) analog audio output on your TV. It's right next to the orange digital audio out and the component video inputs. It's in the picture plain as day. Those are not inputs if that's what you're thinking. There is no reason audio ever needs to go IN to a TV unless you're using it as a monitor/speaker for a computer.

Run AV cables (Red/White/Yellow) from the Red/White audio outputs from the TV to the Red/White audio inputs on the back of the Bose unit. That's it.

12. KNO3

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I did think about doing it that way, but it still didn't solve the problem of the apple TV. If I have to do it that way, I will, but it seemed that the digital audio out would be sufficient to have a permanent audio out and not have to ever change the input on the receiver.
    TV is a Mitsubishi WD-65833 - 65" Diamond rear projection TV

Yes it does have the Red/white/yellow, but those are for the component inputs. They take the audio from the component device and play it through the TV speaker. That would work if I was hooking things up via component. All of my stuff is hooked up via HDMI.
    I could do it with the cable box and Blue-ray player, but the apple TV still wouldn't work with the sound system.
    Also, audio does need to go into the TV if you are not hooking it up to a sound system.

13. ETrain33

ETrain33 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You guys are confusing RCA's with digital, they are analog, HDMI is digital. Its the same when you run a 2 zone receiver, the 2nd zone isn't digital so it wont convert the HDMI digital signal to your zone 2 speakers, so if you want to hear whatever your watching on tv on your 2nd zone speakers you have to run the Red and White RCA's from your cable box audio out to tv in on the back of the receiver...All you need to do jere is run RCA (Red and White) audio cable from cable box out to bose receiver tv in, and make sure your cable box volume is up...

14. KNO3

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Correct, I could do this. But this is not what I wanted to do. The Bose system appears to be capable of using the digital audio, and the TV has a digital audio out. So I want to not have to change anything on my bose box if I switch from lets say cable box to blu ray player.

15. MordeKyle

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I agree with you. I ALWAYS run audio through the TV then to the receiver. Changing the input on the TV is easier than changing the input on the TV AND the receiver.

You can use a normal RCA wire to hook up the digital plug, you don't need to buy anything else.