Home Theater pics n gear

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by TacoMalo, Dec 12, 2009.

1. TacoMalo

TacoMalo Super Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Ok, I'm looking for ideas and specs on gear so I'd also like to see some pics of your home theater setup if you don't mind sharing. Any details or product reviews would be awesome as well, I'm looking at a vivitek 3200 lumens projector no clue if it's worth it's weight in lead but that's what I'm hoping to learn. Thanks in advance!

2. TacoMalo

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
  3. cadconversions

cadconversions XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use to do HT for a living and still do it as a hobby. What kind of question do you have? how much money are you wanting to spend? Are you an audiophile or do you just want to feel the thump in the chest?

4. TacoMalo

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Definitely a budget setup, would like to keep it very basic just want a good picture and good sound nothing too fancy. Don't care for earth shattering bass just good sound since I'm partially deaf in one ear, that's the one I tell my wife is my good ear. :)

5. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    [​IMG]

6. orleanfire

orleanfire XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    be very cautious with projectors, you get what you pay for. Any ebay auction non major brand imported from china is junk. Make sure you invest in a reputable brand.

7. cadconversions

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How far are you sitting from the screen? How much ambient light? How "Technical" are you? Are you just watching movies or using for all TV viewing?

8. TacoMalo

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Sweeeeeeet... :lol::lol:

9. lbadfishl

lbadfishl XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    dats a custom install

10. TacoMalo

Ratings:
    +22 / 0

This would definitely be for movie viewing only, I have two rooms that I could possibly use, one is 20 feet and the other is about 25 both are well lit with 4-5 windows each. My original plan was to use the family room and mount the projector and retractable screen to the ceiling. I think with most projectors I could probably get a 100" screen with 15 feet of throw anything bigger would require more room which would be better suited for the larger room. Technical? As in home theater or as in electronics in general?

11. cadconversions

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    With that many windows you are either going to have to stay away from a projector or make sure that you include some creative ideas to block all of the light coming into the room. Projectors are really the best for large screens but have to have a light controled room.

What I meant by technical is does the thought of using 5 remotes scare you? Are you planning to do the install yourself?

I've found that most of my clients loved a multi-function remote to handle everything. It keeps it more user friendly and with discreet codes - you can rerun the command if it missed anything. With all of that said - I would go with a large LCD instead of the projector in any of those rooms. Some of the larger, higher end box sets might get you everything you want. The last install I did local on a smaller budget was around $6,500 and it included a 135" screen with screen goo (turned out nice), a Denon high-end receiver (still got one NIB from the install if you are interested), Denon DVD, 7.1 speaker setup (2 towers, center, 1 sub, 4 bookshelves), and a color touchscreen remote. The remote was 1,100 itself but without it the client had no hope of running any of it. Now, they just push (watch movie) and everything turns on and is set just the way it needs to be. Has more buttons for watch TV, listen to music, etc....

visit remotecentral.com for info on the remotes

visit monoprice.com for dealer direct prices to the public for all of your cables

Here's the best remote I've used to date: Universal Remote Control Model MX-3000

There's some newer out there that I haven't used it yet but the MX3000 is awesome!

I've got an olderd Pronto black and white w/ rf extender and charger base that I've got for sale. all of it for $50. Might need a new battery when you get it - it's not been used since I upgraded the client to the MX3000

12. TacoMalo

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    That's a lot of helpfull information thanks! I'd definitely be the one to install the system I know during the day the two rooms are fairly dark if the blinds are closed and we will be installing solar screens here pretty soon so it may darken it up just a touch.

13. cadconversions

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Make sure you can darken the room if you decide to go with a projector. It's a must. With out going overboard and crazy with you - unless you are an audiophile - about any speaker you can get from crutchfield will make you happy. I use to be an Elac dealer and had a setup in my basement for showing people the system. The spearkers were over 10,000 alone and my wife didn't think she could tell the difference. Once she heard the setup above and then we went straight to another clients home with the Elac's she could hear it. However, you'll probably never have a chance to compare like that.

14. Se2002

Se2002 XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Taco, I'd love to help but my kids turned my room into a Wii Palace. :-(

15. TacoMalo

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I have that to look forward to now but he's got a long way to go before he even knows what a tv looks like. :)