Holster for "huggers?"

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by boltstop, Apr 12, 2012.

1. boltstop

boltstop XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Team, I was CCW in a place where, although legal, if discovered could cause me to lose my situation.

A female colleague of mine who is a "hugger" kind of grabbed me yesterday and, if her grip had been a touch lower, would have certainly recognized a "hardness" where it wouldn't have been appropriate - my back at the waistline (sorry, pervos - you're not going to get me to go there).

Although she knows my views and that I carry, it may have caused a controversy.

What kind of holster is deep enough for concealment in an environment which CCW is frowned upon? Defender? Thunderwear? Ankle?

Gun = PT809c. Current holster = Old Faithful (and it's FANTASTIC!!)

2. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 1
    I encounter a lot of "overly friendly" types that like to give hugs.. both guys (bro-hug like) and women.

IMO, it's less the holster than your actions to work with it. Anytime it looks like a hug is pending, I'll take the first step and put my strong side arm down just over the holster so the other party is forced to reach up over my shoulder. The other arm may be up or down depending.... but I find it is easier to take the initiative and make the first move so they need to put their arms what YOU want them to.

Am sure others will chime in... but I haven't been "made" when using that technique even with OWB holsters.

3. boltstop

boltstop XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry team, for the mis-post. This should be in "Gear," not "General." I looked for a mod to move it but none of the mods for "General" are online right now. Could someone ping another admin to move this thread?

TIA. Sorry - I just don't post here that often since I sold the XD(m) .45 I had. I honestly do miss you guys, you're a superb forum. I'm at TaurusArmed.net and they're as nice as you guys and nearly as knowledgeable!

4. AimCOTaco

AimCOTaco XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have wondered about similar situations. Good Question!

Interesting about leading with your own arm to force a certain 'safe' embrace. Probably a better approach than moving to a holster or carry position that is 'cuddle safe'.

Lucky for me my coworkers and I keep each other at arms length but couples night can present a similar issue. None of those ladies would object but might blow cover in public; "Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" "uh, it's uh, ha, ha, should we go somewhere else for dinner?"

5. Mist

Mist XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife has been hugging and checking finally I told her just ask this is ludacris ! But it made me aware so I have been leaning in with the non strong side and hugging with one arm

6. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 1
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I were to ever be "made" in similar situation, I'd just say it is my portable muscle stimulator. ;)

7. KenW.

KenW. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sexual harassment! sexual harassment! try to keep 'em away.

8. Vhyrus

Vhyrus XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would say get a slim gun (shield, pf9, 709, pps) and pocket carry. Even if they brushed against it they would think it was a phone or something like that. There are also holsters that hang IWB below the belt line, although I can't name any brands off the top of my head. Third option is a fanny pack holster or belt pouch holster, if you don't mind looking like a bit of a goober. You could also possibly go shoulder holster but I personally don't like them for cc.

9. CanyonXDSC

CanyonXDSC XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Always hug low to force the other person to hug high.

Second, Non-gun people will rarely(if ever) put 2 and 2 together and think gun. Gun people might know, but probably either A) won't care, or B) know better than to say anything.

I've had a couple dozen people bump it(lots of hugging at funerals, family events, ect) and I've had exactly one person ask because they ran up behind me a gave me a hug. I told them it was a back support because I slipped when hiking. End of discussion.

Just because something is obvious to you doesn't mean it's obvious to others.

10. Ryal

Ryal XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry all i read was hugging a colleauge who almost felt your hardness..in all cases, diversion is best!;)

11. Jeedia

Jeedia XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 2
    I usually take the first move and hug so they cant grab the gun. that said its not always possible and usually just say its my cellphone on my belt. most non gun people will believe you because they can't think of any thing else.

12. jreXD9

jreXD9 XDTalk 100 Member

P'tree City....but Pine Mtn will always be home.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    UTH holster! Under the Hat!

13. OKcherokee

OKcherokee XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +370 / 3
    I agree with most above about forcing the other persons arms higher. Although it can be tough if the person hugging you is a foot shorter than you are.

14. GP1937

GP1937 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just like a lot of people have said, I always go for the low hug with my right hand. With that said, I had an awkward moment last week when hugging a friends wife who is about 5' tall (I'm 6'3"). I leaned in and went low and as she moved in for the hug my hand ended up directly on her boob.

Its a good thing they are good friends because we all had a good laugh. We actually talked about my gun, holster and why I went low on a hug with a person who is over a foot shorter than me. I knew they were gun people going into the conversation so I wasn't worried and even ended up taking the holster off to show them how it fits.

Also fortunate that we were at their house, it would have been harder to explain in public or to someone who is not into guns at all. Also made me realize I need more practice hugging short people--probably not with her though, grabbing her boob once was funny, if I then tell her I need more practice hugging short people her husband and my wife might get a little upset;)

15. GhostDog70

GhostDog70 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Groin area. If they feel it there, you have an excuse.