Hi-cap Detachable Box Magazine for Savage

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Shruggerxd, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Shruggerxd

Shruggerxd XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hey guys,
    I have a Savage 10FCP with a McMillan A5 Stock in .308 Caliber.

My question is do any of you guys know where I can get a higher capacity Detachable Box Magazine for the rifle. It comes with a four round magazine, but I have been lusting after the capability to have like 10 rounds, similar to the Remingtons.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Shruggerxd

2. jnclement

jnclement XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Sharpshooter Supply is making a conversion for the factory mags.

3. Hooz

Hooz XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I have one of the Sharp Shooter Supply extensions. It comes with a "box" that replaces the baseplate on the factory mag, and a spring... It bumps your capacity up to 9 rounds.

They sell the kits for ~$48 and the full mags (with kit installed) for ~$75. They are NOT listed anywhere on their website, so you have to call to order them. It might be a little while, though. I bought them out last week! ;)

4. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I have the same rifle except for the stock. IMHO if you want a high capacity magazine .308 rifle why not get a AR platform in that caliber?

5. Shruggerxd

Shruggerxd XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well I don't really see the point in getting a completely new rifle system just to satisfy the want for 6 extra rounds in a magazine. I am incredibly fond of my Savage and can't see much of a reason to replace it just because of the magazine capacity. However, if you are willing to donate the money to purchase or build the AR in .308 then I suppose I could add one more rifle to my collection.

6. Hooz

Hooz XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The .308 SASS guns are nice, but they still don't seem to be able to get that last little bit of accuracy at extreme ranges. A good bolt gun is still the standard at ranges beyond 500-600 yards.

I've kicked around the idea of an AR10 or DPMS LR308, but I'm pretty well covered. I have 5.56 ARs for out to 300, a 6.5 Grendel AR for 300-600 and a 7.62 bolt gun for 600+. Obviously they can all over-lap a bit, but they all fit their roles nicely.

7. JoeAl80

JoeAl80 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I looked for a 10 round magazine similar to the width of the one for my .308 Savage Axis. I ended up with one for an M-14.
    I removed the metal tin from the plastic base on the savage mag. Then, with a dremel moto tool, I cut a hole in the bottom of the plastic base big enough to allow the M-14 mag to stick through. BE SURE NOT TO CUT OFF THE PLASTIC TABS THAT HOLD THE SAVAGE METAL BOX IN THE PLASTIC BASE.
    Next, I lined up the top of the metal part of the savage mag with the top of the M-14 mag. I then drew a line marking the bottom of the Savage piece on the M-14 mag. Using my mototool, I cut the line on the M-14 mag (It is best to cut the line about 1/16th higher then the one marked.)
    What you end up with is the top metal piece from the Savage mag, and the bottom piece of the M-14 mag that are the same length of a complete M-14 mag. Next I took the top plastic piece on the spring of the savage mag, and attached it to the spring of the M-14 mag. You can actually place the smaller spring and plastic piece inside the larger spring from the M-14 mag and it will still work.
    I then took the 2 pieces to a friend and had him tack weld them together, leaving a little bit of the extra length from the M-14 clip inside the metal piece from the Savage clip. BE SURE YOU DO NOT WELD OVER THE SLOTS ON THE BOTTOM SIDES OF THE SAVAGE MAG., YOU NEED THEM TO CLIP IT BACK INTO THE PLASTIC PART.
    I then ground down the tack welds, painted it black, and slipped the metal part into the plastic piece until the plastic tabs clicked into the metal slots!
    It works good, but you have to be careful clicking it in and out of the rifle because after all, it is basically crappy plastic tabs that are holding it in. I did not try a larger mag for fear of the bottom of the mag hitting someting while I am shooting and cracking the plastic tabs. It looks nice too! You can get an M-14 10 round metal mag for $10.00- $20.00 bucks, and it took about 4 hours of my time. If I had to do it again, it would probably take 2 1/2-3 hours...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  8. Tattooed Bard

Tattooed Bard XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0

Dude, this post is almost 4 years old, no need to zombify it:mrgreen: