Herters ammo - any good?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Klaws, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Klaws

Klaws XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    So I am trying to max out my savings with my 30 dollar Cabella's card and the extra 20$ off they are offering right now.

I am seeking as much .308 as I can get without breaking the wallet.

I can get 500 rounds for @ 150 bucks - but I am unfamiliar with this particular brand.

Cabela's -- Herter's .308 Win. Ammunition with Dry-Box

Any insights, warnings, etc?

2. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I'd wager it's really dirty but shoots ok.

looks like some kinda repacked Wolf or Silver Bear

3. FrankC

FrankC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Herter's ammo is good stuff, buy with confidence.

4. xd357

xd357 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What do you plan to shoot it out of? I'm not a big fan of shooting steel from any of my guns but that's just me.

Steel cases and berdan primed so no reloading, other than that I have not tried it so not much help here. sorry

5. Klaws

Klaws XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    I haven't gotten to the reloading stage yet, so no issues there.

My one and only .308/7.62 weapon is my Springfield SOCOM II.

I have never shot steel out of any of my guns, and I have heard nothing but bad things,[about Wolf specificlly] but I am unsure as to how much this would really affect my rifle.

I am ok with it "shooting dirty" as long as it's just a matter of cleaning the weapon.Heck, Winchester shoots pretty dirty as it is. If it is BAD to shoot, causing malfunctions, damaging the bore, etc. then I need to know so I don't destroy this rifle I have come to love.

I have had a hell of a time gathering "enough" rounds for the SOCOM and I am hoping to use this purchase to begin the stockpile.

But I do want the rounds to shoot, so anyone else want to ring in here?

Thanks to the guys who have already contributed. I love this place!

6. Klaws

Klaws XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Well, I managed to land 80$ in cabellas gift cards, so I would like to go out tomorrow and get some ammo.

Anyone else want to warn me off? I may end up going for this deal but I would really really like to know if this is a bad move.

Frankc, what do you shoot when using this ammo? what weapon do you use? inquiring minds want to know.

7. arizona98tj

arizona98tj XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Isn't Herters just rebranded Wolf?

8. xd357

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Expensive rifle for cheap ammo.

Not .308 but just did a search and according to the AK files it appears to be rebranded Wolf, the 7.62x39 stuff anyways. Click this link and then hit the link to Cabelas. Zoom in on the base of the cartridge in the picture and it's stamped "Wolf". The AK Files Forums - Herters 7.62x39 Ammo?

Doesn't mean bad ammo, I just haven't shot any Wolf, nor will I from my M1A or AR's.

Matt

9. Klaws

Klaws XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Food for thought.

Yes, It's a pricey weapon, and it took the better part of a year to pay for it. That's why I don't have loads of cash for ammo, lol.

I will see what I can get that's NOT steel cased.

10. xd357

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Cool, I was watching this thread thinking someone would be able to push me to buy some, but it doesn't seem too popular.

My favorite plinking ammo is the Winchester 7.62 Nato 147gn stuff but it has gone up in price also. I have shot PMC Bronze, Prvi, Walmart SP's, Federal Nato, American Eagle, and the excellent Hornady TAP without any problems.

I try to reload so brass is the way I go but I'm sure the rifle will chew up anything you feed it steel or brass.
    Check out LTD (LTD AMMO SALES!, The most bang for your buck.) for 7.62. When they get it in be ready because it goes fast due to pretty decent prices compared to some others. I was picking up Win. Nato for around $10 a box but he has been slow to get any lately.

Don't feel bad I'm in the same boat, expensive rifle and expensive to feed, but Awesome to shoot.

Good Luck!

Matt

11. Klaws

Klaws XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Well, they were all out of .308 bulk of any kind, so what I ended up getting was 11 boxes of lellier/bellot 147g FMJ for just under 100 bucks.

I'll live with that.

12. yrralguthrie

yrralguthrie XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm no expert. But I can think. Steel ammo in a rifle good or bad. No way that steel cased ammo can damage a barrel, since only the bullet enters the barrel and it's still FMJ copper/lead.

If the steel case is not soft enough to seal the breech(?) it should be apparent. And if the case is soft enough to expand sufficiently I cannot see how it can cause more wear than a brass case. Even if it's steel it's still softer than the guns action.

It any case it will not be many years before steel case ammo is the norm. Brass cased ammo will likely soon be to expensive for most of us to shoot. Modern metallurgy is so much better than just a few years ago, there is no reason steel cases can't be just as good as brass.

Some of the steels still found in cars were not even possible to make 10 years ago.

If someone can actually say definitively how steel cases are bad for guns, please answer. By the way the steel cased Wolf and or Herters are polymer coated not lacquer. And the coating is basically no different than the coating on the aluminum Blazer ammo.
    Larry

13. primeduck

primeduck XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steel cased...Made in Russia?

Seems like Wolf ammo with a different name and higher price to me. :confused:

14. nothingness

nothingness XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Cabelas owns the Herters brand now. And the ammo is repackaged Wolf. It should be awesome general use ammo..Wouldn't expect it to be match grade but it should be great all around ammo.

15. iDominate

iDominate XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I just bought a bulk pack of these at Cabela's today. Gonna go shoot saturday. It will be the first shooting of my new XDM 45.... All I wanted was some cheap ammo to get used to my first gun. I will let you guys know what I think after I go shoot these off

16. Boris

Boris XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is no such thing a "wolf" ammo. Its just a name an importer put on Tula made ammo from Russia.

Herters is just Tula ammo. I have also seen alot of Tula ammo being sold in boxes simply marked Tula ammo lately....

Ulyanovsk and Barnaul loaded with a M67 style projectile instead of the M43 jacket stuffed with lead and a huge air pocket upfront is way better than the Tula projectiles....

17. iDominate

iDominate XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just fired off a little over 100 of these last night. Would have shot more but the mosquito's outside were pretty hungry. Had no issues start to finish. All shots fired, no jams or FTF. I will say that they left much more residue than the Remingtons I fired a few weeks ago. I guess that is what people mean when they say "dirty ammo". I would have no problem making a purchase of this ammo again. I just know it takes longer to get my gun clean at the end of the day.

18. Bultx1215

Bultx1215 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I actually had WWB put the Herters to shame several weeks ago. Took forever to clean the frame and slide up. The Herters was actually cleaner.:shock: It pretty good range ammo from what I have seen of it. I get a box or two every time I am at Cabelas and only when it is on sale.

19. jonnyt623

jonnyt623 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought 12 boxes of 40 s&w 180gn steel cases @ $12.99 per 50 thru Cabelas. I have used PMC Bronze only, but at this price I am willing to give it a try. I also have bought some UltraMax Bulk 180gn (300 rounds) for range use, and have also bought for home defense stockpile Blazer 155gn that use aircraft grade aluminum casings. At this time the only gun I own is a Sigma 40 S&W. It's a sweet little semi that even the wife can use with a high degree of accuracy.

20. madmatt

madmatt XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    a few weeks back i bought 2 box's of Herter's 9mm from cabela's.. just today i loaded 15 rounds into my trusty old p89 and bang, bang, bang, click.. FTF, rack another one! bang, bang, click..another FTF this ammo SUCK's 2 FTF's out of 15 shots.. primers were stuck on both but no bang.. (my ruger p89 has yet to have a malfunction that was not ammo related after over 2000 rounds through it) cant speak for there rifle rounds, but the 9mm is crappy.. spend a few extra bucks and do not waste your money on herters..

now on another note i fired a 50 rd box of RWS 125gr, and i am very impressed.. 3 inch groups at 35 yards, and no FTF.