HELP with Cleaning and Lubricating the XD

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by THE SCARECROW, Feb 18, 2007.

1. THE SCARECROW

THE SCARECROW XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK this is a very NOOB question, but like I have said before, I am kinda new to all this. Is there a good video, or something that anyone knows of, that shows me the proper way to clean and care for my NEW XD 9mm Sub Compact? I have purchased a Hoppes #9 cleaning kit. (LIKE THIS)...HOPPE'S RIFLE, PISTOL OR SHOTGUN CLEANING KIT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Contains the basics for gun cleaning
    • Convenient storage case
    • Oil, patches, solvent, rods and adaptors included

I hope this is a good starter cleaning kit! I will be taking it to the range in a couple of days and would really like to know how to properly clean & lubricate it when I am done.

SORRY for being such a NOOB!!!!

Thanks...Oh and would this be good to have for a NOOB like myself?

Complete Springfield XD

[​IMG]
    #selected_pgroup_link {padding:3px; background:#36c; color:#fff;}
    The Springfield XD pistol has taken the country by storm. First introduced in 2002, this handgun is polymer technology at its best with many features that make it very desirable. In this program, Lenny Magill shows you complete disassembly and reassembly procedures with strict attention to nomenclature of parts and their relationship to one another. If you love your XD you need this program. Information applies to all XD handgun models. 60 minutes.

2. PilgrimChapter33

PilgrimChapter33 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's nothing wrong with that kit at all. That said, I follow a simple cleaning regimen that many here may find disturbingly easy... almost silly. It is minimal, and requires no tools other than a copper bore brush and a toothbrush. I learned it from a special forces operator in town that makes a living training swat teams. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

1) Field strip
    2) Spray all parts (liberally) with carburetor cleaner.
    3) Brush out the big chunks of gunk (a toothbrush will work, or purpose designed gun brush)
    4) Brush out the barrel with copper brush and solvent.
    5) Spray all parts (liberally) with lube.
    6) Brush all parts (liberally) with grease (I use an old fashioned shaving brush).
    7) Reassembe. Wipe off excess oil. (It may drip for a while).

I've had no problems with this yet, nor do I anticipate any.

3. vinnie

vinnie XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm kind of picky about cleaning my guns but here is what I do... (I do this at home after shooting while drinking a beer and watching a movie usually).

1. Field strp
    2. Use a patch, rag, toothbrush and q-tip to soak everything in cleaner.
    3. scrub everything (using either tooth brush, barrel brush or q-tip for hard to reach places
    4. wipe with rag to remove cleaner
    5. soak patches with oil and wipe all componets
    6. take clean patches and rag and wipe all componets

4. rgeliske

rgeliske XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You're kidding right? You never want to put an excessive amount of lubrication on any firearm. You should use very little lubrication to avoid collecting dirt. I just put a very small amount of oil on parts that move or make contact with each other and that's it. Grease or too much oil means fouled weapon and eventual jamming.

5. Gunzzi

Gunzzi XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Get yourself a bore snake, field strip, spray cleaner inside and on the barrel, run the bore snake through a few times and brush the feed ramp. Spray cleaner on the slide and brush all parts, spray cleaner on the inside of the frame and brush all parts, lube the rails with (I use Horton's rail lube for a crossbow and it works very well) rail lube. Spray down the barrel and slide with Rem Oil and wipe down thoroughly (so that they are not dripping). Put it back together and in the case.;)

6. PilgrimChapter33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No. I'm not kidding. I used to be a sparse lube man myself, but after extensive conversation with the instructor I mentioned above, he convinced me of several very valid points IMO. Unless your out in the desert rolling in the sand, I reject the notion that too much lube collects dirt. I mean think about how often most of us clean our firearms. Every 200-500 rounds? Sometimes I might make it six to eight hundred rounds on an extended day. But the truth is three or four hundred rounds (average) and one day's shooting just isn't enough to collect all that much dirt. All that "lube collects crap" mentality comes from the military where you might spend a long time in the field between cleanings.

Like I said, I was taught this routine by an ex-special forces operator (Delta Force actually), and he said he adopted this routine in the jungle, and that it works, and that if you use it RUST SHOULD NEVER BE AN ISSUE (a problem for some of us XD folks). He now trains police officers and said there's no reason a police officer or a defensive minded shooter should encounter enough dirt in an urban environment to cause a problem if he couldn't find enough in the jungles of South America. Anyways, he carries a Glock, most of us here have our XD's, both of which are very robust weapons, so to use his exact words "I don't like my weapons that delicate". Meaning if something as simple as lube was gonna cause a problem, he's finding a new gun.

Add: I would also like to insert that this brings up the awesome part of carberator cleaner. There's no build up of lube from cleaning to cleaning. Carb cleaner gets EVERYTHING out. The gun is bone dry after the carb cleaner evaporates.

7. rgeliske

rgeliske XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'll agree with that but we are not in the jungles of South America or in my era the Jungles of Viet Nam and I never had anyone teach me to apply large quantities of grease to my weapons. In fact we were constantly tearing our guns down to make sure they stayed functional and the worst enemy was too much lub. Ask any of our troops today and I'll bet they tell you the same thing. Rust and airborne dirt is not the major concern, unburned powder mixed with grease and oil creates sludge. But to each his own, I'll keep my oil to a minimum.

8. PilgrimChapter33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, to each his own. As for me, like I said, if it's good enough for my SF friend, it's good enough for me. One of the best pieces of advise my pops ever told me is relevant here.

"There's lots of experts at lots of things. About half of them are full of bullsh!t. The other half are worth listening to. When you wanna learn something, find an expert, and do it his way until it stops working. When it stops working, find a new expert. Repeat as necessary until someday when you're the expert."

Well, my SF friend is about as expert as I'm gonna find, and until it stops working.... I'm gonna lube away!

9. JimO

JimO XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had great success using 91% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning. I use a tooth brush to scrub and one of those "baby booger sucker" bulb things to to flush it all out, then lightly oil it and wipe the whole thing down with a silicon rag. The great benefit is I can do this all inside the house without a need for ventilation, which is great when it is 10 below outside (Minnesota).:)

10. hatingthesuck

hatingthesuck XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you all put a slight coat of oil on the moving parts after you wipe all the oil off? or leave the gun dry?

11. philman

philman XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the DVD, it is VERY good, however, he does not talk at all about cleaning and lubing (well maybe a little). The DVD is a good education on all the little working parts and how they function. For me, I do not suspect I will ever completely disassemble mine.

12. THE SCARECROW

THE SCARECROW XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks I wasn't sure if it went over any cleaning details or not, but I thought it might come in handy JUST IN CASE!