Help with a Sig Mosquito please

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by tom_d, Dec 26, 2010.

1. tom_d

tom_d XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I recently purchased a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. I have been having multiple feeding problems with it. These issues happen with both the original magazine and the additional one I picked up at Academy.
    The problems:
    Fail to Extract - Rounds will fire but occasionally fail to extract. It's as if the slide doesn't cycle after firing.

Fail to Feed - The round fires and extracts but the next round doesn't get picked up and fed into the breech. The gun seems to have fully cycled, but I drop the hammer on an empty chamber.

Stovepipes - Just as it sounds. The round fires and extracts, but the slide closes on the case. Sometimes the case is horizontal to the breech, sometimes it is vertical.
    Some magazines feed without issue some have up to 5 various failures during the mag. (Both mags.)
    Ammo:
    Federal value pack - 36 gr. copper plated hollow point listed velocity 1260 fps@ muzzle.
    CCI Mini-Mag - 40 gr copper plated RN rated at 1235 fps.
    Remmington Value pack - Tossed the box but it was comparable to the others listed.

I have tried swapping the return spring with the heavier one that came with the gun. This spring is supposed to be used with "Hyper Velocity" rounds. With the heavy spring the slide will not cycle when shooting the lower velocity rounds. This I would expect as the lower power rounds won't have the "Omph" to compress the spring.
    I have dis-assembled both mags. Cleaned and lubed them with a dry silicone spray (Super Lube). I also cleaned up the burrs on the follower in the second mag. The follower on the original mag was burr free. Still having problems. Out of 250 rounds today using the Federal ammo, I had roughly 40 failures of the various type.
    I have approx. 900 rounds total through the gun so far.
    Any Ideas?

2. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    This thing isn't an XD it won't eat everything. You need to pick up CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle it .40 grain and try that. Also I used SNO by Birchwood Casey (Gun Grease) on the slide and it also helped. After about 2,500 round I was able to use value pack with only a failure every 50-60 rounds. Before I broke it in with the CCI it was 3-4 a mag..

CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose Box of 500 (5 Boxes of 100) - MidwayUSA

Also I noticed loading 7 or 8 instead of 10 helped, I see you were using the CCI 40 grain, any better luck with it?

3. BEAR_ICE

BEAR_ICE XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Tom_d, your FTE and Stovepipes are due to your extractor claw might not be properly cut, or might not be fitted right. With pistol disassembled, extractors are supposed to hold a cartridge between the claw and the breachface, if not, then it’s possible to have these types of FTE or Stovepipe issues.
    When did you purchase this pistol? New? I would send it back to Sig and tell them your issues. They’ll fix the problem if it’s within a year of your purchase. It will only take one to two weeks. Ask them for a Call Tag, that way they’ll email you a UPS shipping Tag (no cost) then return it to you at your home.
    Now your FTF usually is your magazine, unless you have ramp issues. Mark your mags 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc…and write the number of FTF issues. Not talking FTE or Stovepipes here, just Failure To Feed. You’ll find that most of your issues are with certain magazines. You might get away with stretching them slightly.
    I use American Eagle AE22 High Velocity hollow points without issues.
    Robert Dunlap is a very good teacher on extractors, sign up for his free email lessons.
    AGI Gunsmithing Video Mini lessons

AGI Gunsmithing Video Mini lessons

4. tom_d

tom_d XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'll give the SNO a try. It came with a demo tube of Militec (sp?) but it only lasted the initial clean and lube before I shot it. The ammo I used was the Remmington that I have already emptied and tossed the box. Since then I have been using CLP, the same as on my XDs. The CCI had a lower failure rate but it still missed occasionally, but then again I only ran 100 rounds of it. I will give it another go with some of the higher velocity loads and see if it helps. Thanks for the link.

ETA - Thanks for your input and links as well BEAR ICE

5. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    CLP is not an Oil/grease it is a solvent, that could be your first problem. Second I would call Sig because the warranty is crap. One year, I spoke at length with a sig rep (We sat next to each other on a plane, he was stuck) He told me that frankly he doesn't like to mention this gun because the quality is hit or miss. It is made for them by a foreign company. I would also ask them about a trigger job! I shot this gun the first time to qualify for NRA instructor school. Man that was fun! All 290 Lbs of trigger weight with a quarter mile of travel!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  6. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 5
    CLP is a Cleaner Lubricant and Protectant.
    I would go with straight light motor oil like Mobil-1 for now, drag is your enemy and a thicker lube might be exacerbating the problem. Light recoil spring and 40gr Mini-Mags as mentioned. You might have to re-profile the extractor a bit. Mine is almost to the point of being able to run the truly awful Remington Thunderbolts.

The Mosquito is made either by GSG or Umarex but either way here is THE thread you need to review:

Sig Mosquito Fixes, Condensed General Version - Topic Powered by Social Strata

7. tom_d

tom_d XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    A VERY good read Kaboom. Thanks

8. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 5
    Just trying to help.It seems many Skeeters are great and many are close to awful. When mine was brand new and running Mini-Mags it only had two or three failures in 2,000rnds and those all happened with the first two-three mags full. With a Hogue slip on it mimics my larger Sigs perfectly except for weight and the trigger pull which I will work on some day.

9. tom_d

tom_d XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks to all. I took the Mosquito out today and only had 1 FTFeed.

I guess my XDs have spoiled me. They eat anything, all day every day.

10. Payday

Payday XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CCI ammo & the light spring. I only feed CCI & never have any issues. Got to keep it clean & oiled.

11. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 5
    You can turn a lemon into lemonade if you look at a troublesome Skeeter as a training aid that is reliably unreliable, letting you practice various clearing drills and creative swearing lol.

Glad it's running better.