HELP striker not releasing

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by cinderbricks, Apr 2, 2011.

1. cinderbricks

cinderbricks XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    help, i put a full prp trigger kit on my 3.8 .40 adjust everything to work fine grip saftey sanding and sanding the back of the trigger stop for everything to release just fine.. and all worked well.... i went to shoot today and every other bullet the striker would not release at all.. i would strip the gun and take out the rear sear and everything back there and put it together then it would work fine releasing with no bullet.. but i put a bullet in and maybe every 5 shots it stop releaseing the striker again??

i dont see anything physically wrong... there is wear marks on the striker release pad thingy or what ever you call it...esp on the one side where it contacts... any ideas ?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. cinderbricks

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no body?

i took apart the striker now fully and cleaned it top to bottom ..the gun has less than 250 rds thru it though... so i got it al back together and it seems fine but i havent actually fired it yet.... but i got a grand up in the gun and its brand new .... this is every upsetting....i cant hope if someone breaks it that they cn hold on so i can take apart the trigger before i shoot.... what about that little tab thats sticks out on the part next to the sear that actually touches the striker pad thingy? would filing that adjust anything? it sux cause it works 50% of the time.. striker pin is all intack nuthn is broke

3. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Its hard to sift through all the misspellings and with the lack of proper terminology and punctuation, I am lost in what you have and haven't done and checked.

So....let me get this straight, you have a grand into a gun and did a DIY trigger job and now you blame the gun for being faulty?

4. carstensxd45

carstensxd45 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You mention that you sanded everything. You didn't happen to sand the sear and the part on the striker that engages the sear. If you happened to "round off" the edges of the sear, you could have screwed it up. What happens is the sear won't engage the striker all the way back, the trigger will pull but the striker won't fire the round. This happened to me, I had to get another sear. You could try removing the sear and using a sharpening stone, try to grind the edge back on the sear. This might be the problem, hope this helps.:)

5. kidcoltoutlaw

kidcoltoutlaw XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Put something about .060 thick between the frame and the trigger and see if it will still fire . I bet you still don't have enough over travel ,

Thanks,Keith

6. sherpa

sherpa XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1. Looks like you might have to remove some more material from the overtravel tab. Furthermore, as part of your testing when you're not able to do live fire, press the slide down as you pull the trigger. If the striker still doesn't release the sear, then you'll still have to remove bit more from the overtravel tab.

7. cinderbricks

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

sorry for the mis spellings i had my 4 month old in one hand and i dont know all the correct terms. also i was in no way blaming the gun, i was only asking what i did wrong.. i think this whole section is about gunsmithing man and 90% of people on here probably s this section for DIY. if you cant help what was the point of picking me apart on your post? again i apologize for not knowing the correct terms.

8. cinderbricks

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

the part that is connected to the striker that enguages to the sear is very worn down but i never ground it and it only has 250rds thru the gun and has had ben wearing even with no gun mods. why would this happen? do you think this is the problem?

9. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Pictures would help a bit with the wear question, but I think you did something that just isn't right, and thus things still need to be tweaked or replaced, and then start the process over.

Very hard to tell.

10. cinderbricks

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

i will try this.... its just weird it works some of the time.... i will take a little more off the stop...

11. cinderbricks

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    here is the bottom of the striker where there is funny wear! i did not sand anything that contacts this area if that is what you mean, i only sanded the side of the sear so the ejector would fit back in, and also over travel stop. nothing else has ben sanded.

but these marks have ben happening even before i installed the trigger

Attached Files:

12. carstensxd45

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Photo was a little blurry but I don't think this would be the problem. You said that you didn't touch the areas where the striker and the sear engage each other, this wear seems normal, my tac has had this wear for a long time. I would move along the line of checking out the striker channel and cleaning it up.

13. cinderbricks

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks man... ok i cleaned the striker channel(which i dunno why i should have to after 200 rounds) but i did anyway. I also took a little bit off the over travel stop and it feels more solid of a click when i dry fire it..

sorry for the bad pic...

14. carstensxd45

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Well, how does she shoot? Have you had a chance to try it out with the striker cleaned out?

15. cinderbricks

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    YEP ALL FIXED.... i took about .010"-.015" more off the trigger overtravel stop.. and cleaned the striker channel... shot 100 rds thru it without a glitch!! :)

thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!