Help, Shooting Low and to the left...

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by joeythefish, Sep 15, 2009.

1. joeythefish

joeythefish XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Well went to the range today and I seem to be very consistent in aiming for the bulls eye and hitting low and left. I've got one of those Pistol Correction Charts and it says that I'm tightening my fingers and/or jerking or slapping the trigger. Okay what does it mean, tightening my fingers or jerking or slapping the trigger? The thing is besides the fact I'm shooting low and left it's darn good grouping! Could my sights be off or is it like the PMI says, it's not the dope on the weapon that's the problem, it's the dope behind it? Anyway all help appreciated.

JTF

2. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I was grouping there for a while. Dry fire it while sitting down and use a clock as the target. Pay close attention to the front site as the trigger is pulled.

I wasn't jerking, slapping or any of that stuff, but the gun was moving steady down and left when I smoothly pulled the trigger. OK, so it wasn't as smooth as I thought! But the dry fire at a clock showed me what the deal was. The correction was to go to the largest back strap (I'd actually like one a size bigger) and move my trigger finger around until I no longer made the front site bobble about.

I still will group low and left if I don't concentrate, but that's what practice is for.

jb

3. katokahn99

katokahn99 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +88 / 1
    joey,
    That's common for many shooters moving to this platform. It is likely not the sights (but can be). The first time I shot mine, I used the laced-thumb grip that I learned to shoot the M9 with. I was consistantly grouping (very tight) low and left. After changing my grip to the thumbs pointing forward/parallel grip, and working on my trigger finger placement/control, I started obliterating the X ring.
    The XDm is a great pistol but is extremely unforgiving if you don't learn how to shoot it specifically. The fundamentals apply as with all firearms; however, the finer details of shooting this platform have to be figured out. Unfortunately, they may vary widely from shooter to shooter.
    Hope this helps a bit.

4. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    It means that as you pull the trigger you are also tightening your fingers around the grip, and or, you are pulling the trigger at an angle instead of straight back.

5. joeythefish

joeythefish XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Thanks guys, first thing I'm going to do after I clean it today is switch to the bigger back strap, right now I've got the medium one on it. You guys are awesome thanks for the help.

6. orleanfire

orleanfire XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My concealed class instructor said about 1000 dry fires will fix that. He said that its a natural thing that you want to kind of "push" it away from your face, even if you think you aren't, and that causes a lower left/right shot. He said the muscle memory from dry firing should correct this and make you a better shooter.

He was a pretty knowledgeable guy, he's a LEO and trained with groups like LA swat, so I think it should work.

7. smasraum

smasraum XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. katokahn99

Ratings:
    +88 / 1
    That's the one I use. joey, if you're not already doing this, this is the one I described. Go for it and let us know how it works for you.

9. babs

babs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Me too.. XD 45C and it was a LONG while back last time I could get to the range, but I was consistently to the left, in contrast to being spot on with the Sig 226 9mm. Getting some free-time hopefully this weekend, I'm going to get some range time in for sure.

10. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Just a note, dry fire practice using the correct technique not just dry firing. If you dry fire using the same technique you are currently using you'll just be reinforcing bad habits.

11. katokahn99

Ratings:
    +88 / 1
    +1000

Definately do not want to do that!

12. ColoBrit

ColoBrit XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I consistanly shot low and to the right (pulling on right hand). Took only 2 range outings to get it right. Now I'm dead center with the exception of a couple here and there going slightly down and right still. Mainly it was jsut getting used to the gun and getting my grip right. Not holding too tight was the key to fixing my aim and changing out the back strap from the middle to the small one. Try changing the back strap if you haven't already.

13. XD(M)ike

XD(M)ike XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, try lining up the sights perfect and then concentrate on pulling the trigger very slowly.

Also, dry firing has helped me a lot. Just make sure to practice so the gun doesn't move when you dry fire.

14. wingnut1983

wingnut1983 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is a really great thread. When I was shooting last week I was pretty dead on as far as a vertical center line, but I never shot one that was above the bullseye and 80% were low, but as I said, pretty consistently in the center from left to right.

I tried some of the suggestions here, but dry firing is not something I thought of. I seemed to have slightly better results when I loosened my grip a little, but do any/all of these suggestions apply to that type of shooting as well?

15. coldsweat

coldsweat XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I changed my backstrap as well from large to medium and saw instant improvement. Work on marksmanship as well.