Help on Sight removal for installation of ATS sights for hs2000

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by jetjugueta, Jun 5, 2010.

1. jetjugueta

jetjugueta XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sirs,

I would like to ask direction where i could get a sight removal tool for the hs2000 so that i could install a ATS sight for it. I have already removed everything from the slide and i still cant seem to see where the screws are for the rear sights. How am i going to remove the rear sights of the hs? Does the tool also apply to the rear sights or i just need to tap it out of place and replace it with the new one? Your advices would be very helpful. Thank you.

2. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    Hate to break it to you, but the reason you can't find the screws for the sights is because there are no screws for the sights; they are pressed/friction fit in.

Basically, you can order a sight pusher, go at them with a hammer and punch, or have a gunsmith do the dirty work for (at least, prices around here) $30-40.

Considering that the XD's sights are notorious buggers to remove, I'd pay somebody else to have the headache.;)

And welcome to the forum.

3. jhaines

jhaines XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^^ what he said

4. jetjugueta

jetjugueta XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you for the reply sir. is it also the same case with the front sight? i could see a little hole underneath the sight but i cant see if there is actually a screw in it.

5. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    To the absolute best of my knowledge, there is no screw securing the front sight; it's also just press-fit into the front dovetail.

6. shadowbuff

shadowbuff XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MGW makes a pusher for the XD - I invested in the tool. If you take the gun to a good gunsmith you will save some money. Take it to a bad gunsmith and you'll wind up with a banged-up slide. The sights are a bitc# to remove without the right tool.

7. zmmnm3

zmmnm3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you ever think you will do additional sights go with the MGW sight tool. Works great and I have used it on my XDs as well as 1911's. The sights are really tight without a proper tool. With that said there are many posts of people using a punch and hammer to remove their sights. As said above, beware they are really tough to get out and then installed new sights without damage.

8. NOYDB

NOYDB XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The MGW tool works. So does this XD Sight Pusher

Removing the factory sights is the problem. The tools all say for installing and adjusting after market sights. They won't guarantee to remove the factory sights with out damage to the tool. Yes, they are that tight. On mine I got the rear sight out with a punch and about 3 whacks with a regular hammer. It took a three pound sledge and whailing away six times to *start* the front sight moving. However, installing the night sights I wanted to use was a breeze with the Modelandtool pusher (it's built like a tank). New sights may not be the right size for your dovetail out of the box and may require fitting. Grinding off the bottom of the sight till it barely fits and then using the tool to push it in. Having the tool allows you to adjust the sights with out banging on them with a punch. If you go with tritium night sights you don't really want to be hitting them.

9. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    A 3# maul, 1/8" punch, and a big brass pair worked for me. I wouldn't recommend this method for everyone. I managed to NOT bugger up the slide, but I suspect I was lucky.

10. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I've done several XD sight removals with nothing but a hammer, punch and a vice. One of the gun did require some solid hammering. The slide was held in place in the vice with a piece of cardboard. The 12pk thin type cardboard, fold it a couple of times secure it in the vice and go for it. If the doesn't come out easy then by the sight pusher. My train of thought is, first see if you can do it this way if you can't then spend the money on a sight pusher.

11. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Yup. I used an old leather belt for vice padding.

12. ggruber

ggruber XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i run an 1/8 inch high speed steel milling bit across the sights in my mill. they pop right out after that.

too easy to mar the slide with a punch and a hammer. the same thing can be accomplished with a dremel and a diamond cutting wheel -- if you know how to handle a dremel. you just need to grind down far enough to weaken the center of the sight, and then it will pop off fairly quickly.

out of 6 XDs, i have only managed to save one set of sights using the hammer and punch method. they are pressed on with hydraulics at the factory.

you really should not try to remove stock sights with an MGW pusher, and most aftermarket sights need no fitting at all. they will press on with an MGW (or other pusher) fairly easily.

some aftermarket sights are made from relatively soft steel, and will compress in the dovetail. removing any metal at all from Dawson sights will leave you with a sight that will eventually drift out all by itself.

the XD dovetail is too narrow to support anything but an interference fit.

13. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    +1 on not banging on the tritiums. I actually had to cut one rear sight out with a Dremel and cut-off wheel. When fitting the new sights, go slow. If you take too much off, you'll suddenly have a sight that's too loose and you'll be hunting for some .001 shim. I used 400 grit sandpaper - a couple of strokes at a time until I got the fit I wanted. Sand ONLY the bottom of the dovetail, NOT the angled sides. Fit it until it slides in easily about 1/3-1/2 way, then use the pusher.

14. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I read all of the horror stories of removing factory XD sights.

My wife wanted some fiber optic sights on her XD9. Pistol was purchased new in January 2008.

I borrowed an MGW sight pusher from a friend of mine. I've got one for my Glocks, but it won't work on XD's (duh).

I sprayed both front & rear sights with Sili-Kroil industrial penetrating oil. It's flippin' magic, trust me.

[​IMG]

Next, I tossed the slide in the freezer for about 2 hours.

I went after the rear sight first. Yup, she was tight, but never once did I touch a hammer, punch or bench vise. The rear sight was removed by aid of the MWG puller and bare hands. I didn't try to take her all in one move. If it felt like it was tightening up, I'd let a little pressure off then try again. Total time for rear sight removal once pusher was attached: 3 minutes.

The front sight came out even a little easier. No muss, no fuss. Add another 3 minutes.

The sights my wife chose as replacements were Dawson Precision wide blade rear and thin fiber optic front.

I cleaned out both dovetails with alcohol and a brush. I then gave them both a couple of drops of Loctite (I used blue, because it was handy). I understand the properties/uses of different colors/numbers of Loctite.

The Dawson rear sight slid in snuggly. I used a digital caliber to center them, then tightened down tightened the set screw with a drop of the same Loctite.

We're almost done. The Dawson front sight was a little different design than the oem XD sight. The base of the front sight is not flush with the top of the slide like the oem. This caused the sight/slide fit with the MGW pusher to be very tight vertically. In a perfect world or if I owned the sight pusher I would have milled a couple of .0001's off the base of the pusher.

I was able to fit it in, again, no hammer, punch, or vise needed. I centered the front sight the same way as the rear using my calipers.

My total time from start to finish was less than 30 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice oem sights could still be used.

15. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got back from the range. The sights were dead on as installed. I centered both front and rear sights in the slide.

Shots were fired resting on a sandbag.