Help: New M&P 9 Spitting brass in face?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Buckaroo, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Buckaroo

Buckaroo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My wife just picked up her first pistol: a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm full size. She has been very excited to shoot it. She loves shooting my XD-40, but prefers the grip on the M&P and wanted a slightly smaller caliber.

Yesterday was our first trip to the range. Her first round spit the casing right into her glasses! Kind of a shock, but the third round went down her shirt and actually gave her a slight burn. She had several hit her, including a second down her shirt. I put a mag through it and had several hit my hat and even LEFT shoulder!

The local Firearms trainer happened to be at the range and I asked him. He suggested she work on a firmer grip and put at least 500 rds through to break it in.

Is this normal for a new M&P? Is there a break-in? Will it mellow out and spit brass to the right? Does her grip affect ejection that much? (if so, maybe I need to work on mine!)

She was really looking forward to hitting the range with her own firearm, but after her first trip, she's very disappointed and actually worried about hot brass hitting her every time she shoots.

Any help from M&P users would be very helpful.

2. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    So the casings are ejecting straight back instead of to the side?

Often times at the range its usually just the case bouncing of the side wall.

The ejector may need tuning?

3. bruce21b

bruce21b XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 2
    it it were a glock i would say throw it in the nearest pond and buy another brand gun until glock gets their crap fixed with the ejection issues......

but since its an MP, my guess is her grip........yes, a less than solid grip can cause some reliability issues including fail to feed and erratic ejection...

oh, wait, i just saw where YOU shot it and was ejecting erraticly...

as long as your grip was firm that should not be happening unless something is wrong with the extractor/ejector.........

MP's dont need "break in" periods......i would give it one more range trip and a box of 50.......if it still does it with you shooting it???

time to call smith and wesson

4. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Maybe have her practice dry fire with some snap caps. Thumbs forward grip. Research the grip.

Lots and lots of dry fire practice.

Then go back to the range and randomly load snap caps in the mag and see what happens.

And when she shoots. She should have a good slightly crotched athletic stance. Knees slightly bent, leaning forward a little. Good firm grip and trigger control.

I see a lot of new shooters leaning back with a poor grip and it can induce problems.

5. CavScout88

CavScout88 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My XD9 used to bounce brass of the top of my head and forehead. It stopped after a little while though. I'd say just break it in, or maybe Apex has an ejector? With that, don't say "it's sad I need to buy after market stuff to make it run" because from what I hear, the more Apex into your M&P (or any pistol) the better. I;m having an Apex trigger kit put in mine.

My PF9 would throw a casing 20ft front right, then over and behind you 2ft, then 5ft right, then 3ft left, then 30ft right, then at your feet, etc. Would need a 40x40 tarp to make brass pickup easy.

6. Minkman555

Minkman555 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +291 / 135
    Glocktalk.com can help you with your G19

7. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 5
    I have never heard of an M&P doing that.

I have a 3rd gen G19 that does it 2-4 times per mag. Currently trying to fix it and nope...the much vaunted Apex extractor did NOT fix my problems. BEYOND annoying.

-brickboy240

8. JBubbs

JBubbs XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 1
    glockglockglockglockglockglockglock, not really helping the OP. I'd call S&W and have them check it on their dime.

9. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 5
    Well...HELLO...shouldn't that be obvious?

Especially since S&W is known for great customer service and a lifetime warranty on their goods.

-brickboy240

10. Poneill.45

Poneill.45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say it needs to go to S&W. The only thing that needed break in was the trigger on my mp40.

11. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 1
    Are you sure it doesn't say "Glock" on the slide?? :rolleyes:

12. Minkman555

Minkman555 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +291 / 135
    I think he made like 1,500 posts on glocktalk because the same question is there about that many times

13. Buckaroo

Buckaroo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Well, I put 5 snap caps in a mag, held the pistol level and racked it fast and hard. Every one spit about 7-10 feet to the right, like my XD and like I'd expect a S&W. When I racked it slow, it just kinda popped up. I'm wondering now if, in addition to grip, the ammo may not fire with enough force to throw the slide back fast enough. We're going to try a box of WallyWorld WWB next time out.

In the mean time, I told her to load the snaps and dry fire to practice her grip. We've only put a couple of mags through, so we're going to go to the range again before we call S&W.

BTW, the ammo we used was Federal AE 115gr. FMJ. I'm new to 9mm, so I'm learning bullet weights with her.

14. Poneill.45

Poneill.45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    115gr is a light load. Look for at least 124gr when you're shopping for ammo.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

15. taylorjr

taylorjr XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 7
    Had a buddy just buy a new M&P9, pro series. He didn't have any problems with my FreedomMunitions 115gr Blaster or the WWB 115gr or Federal Range and Target 115gr. Everything ejected right and out... not sure what the OP problems is though. If it's fine when you do it, but bad when she does it, it has to be shooter related. It's the only thing you're changing in the equation.