Help needed XD .40 Goes from Accurate to Inaccurate

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by wuzuprad, Oct 10, 2009.

1. wuzuprad

wuzuprad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi i just purchased an xd .40 a few months ago. I shot it a number of times and it was great. Then cleaned it for the first time. Then took it shooting and it was great for a magazine or two's worth of rounds and then it lost accuracy.

I found that it was shooting at 15 yards about 6 inches to the left of where i was aiming. No idea how this happened. The gun is in great shape. It has the fixed top sights. I am usually a pretty decent shot and so when it started i immediately noticed a difference.

Ammo i use is the federal brass ammo from walmart. I tried taking the barrel out and re-mounting it along with the recoil spring. Still shooting to the left. Any help would be appreciated.

2. nothingness

nothingness XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Are the sights loose or off-center?
    Barrel is good? No fouling or crud between rifling and such?. Maybe a bad batch of ammo also, try some other walmart ammo like the blazer or winchester white box stuff and see if it's any different. Other than that, no idea.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  3. wuzuprad

wuzuprad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sights seem to be solid in place and ok. As i said i had just cleaned the gun for the first time since buying it and the barrel was clear and still is looking pretty good. Barrel and rifleing looks good... (the gun probably has about 5 or 600 rounds through it total) im as confused as you are as to why it goes left about the same distance every time. I was hoping someone had ran into the problem before and i just missed something or theres a easy fix. Thanks for the reply though

4. thelongone13

thelongone13 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Because you're too far to the right? :lol: Kidding... Barrel obstruction sounds feasible. Been firing any unjacketed rounds that could have left lead behind?

5. wuzuprad

wuzuprad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the suggestion... but ya i took the thing apart again when it started shooting funny and checked it all out for debris and that sort of stuff. The whole thing looks pretty clean. So ya thats why im at a loss... :|

6. FrankC

FrankC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you clean the barrel from the chamber or muzzle end? If you cleaned from the muzzle end...Is there any damage to the barrel at the edge of the bore?

7. scjbash

scjbash XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    I'd give it a good cleaning and inspection again, and if everything looks fine then buy some different ammo and go back to the range. Shoot off of a rest, really taking your time with each shot. If it still shoots left then there might be a problem with the gun that needs to be addressed, and if not it was probably just the ammo or you were just having one of those days.

You might also want to check out the target in post #5 of this thread....

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/30175-corrective-handgun-target.html

Good luck.

8. Kent

Kent XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Trigger control with a bit of grip thrown in the mix. :mrgreen:

9. wuzuprad

wuzuprad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well i will have to try using a rest just to be sure its not me, but as i had said before ive shot the gun a number of times and its always been dead on until today. I dont think i was doing anything different shooting wise but it was clearly about 6 inches to the left consistently after going through a few magazines. My friend shot it too and he had the same problem. When i did clean it i used gun cleaning kit with a what looks like brass wire .40 brush (or perhaps its copper idk, it just came in the gun cleaning kit) I ran it through from chamber end and all the way out and then back through the muzzle end with some remington 3 in 1 powder remover/lubricant/protective barrel cleaner stuff. The whole gun is really clean and looks really quite good and is pretty new still, which is why i got a bit worried. The XD is supposed to be built to last. Anywho thanks all for the many suggestions. Ill probably take it again out tomorrow and use a rest and see if it is any different.

10. FrankC

FrankC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Either you forgot how to squeeze your trigger then or the rear sight is shifted.

11. scooter123

scooter123 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Any sudden change in the point of impact relative to aim would lead me to suspect that either the front or rear sight has shifted. I would check to see if the sights are well centered in the slide. "Solid" to finger pressure means nothing, how solid are the sights when tapped with a hammer and punch? If you can move either sight with a light tap, they need to be removed, have locktite applied, and be re-installed perfectly on center.

12. wuzuprad

wuzuprad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok thanks a bunch for all these answers. Ill try to go out today and test these therories and see what happens. And look to see about getting my sights looked at

13. SD Monkey

SD Monkey XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's the shooter, not the gun. Fix your grip, trigger pull and follow through on each shot.

just my .02