help needed, gun cabinet locked, keys lost

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by jednp, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ok, here's the situation. I went out of town and I took my keys to my gun cabinet with me, instead of keeping them locked inside my pistol safe like I usually did. I figured since I would be gone for a good amount of time, I didn't want the keys being left in the apartment. But now, I've either misplaced the keys or they are just gone forever. Whatever the case is, I cannot find them to save my life.

My gun cabinet is a sentry, the cheaper thin walled type. Just like the cheap stack-on ones you can get. It has the tubular key lock. Aside from destroying the cabinet by cutting it open, what else can I do? Can a locksmith open this type of lock? And even if they can, how on earth can I get new keys for it? I don't even know where the paper went that had my key code on it. I have a feeling i'm SOL either way. If I can't get new keys for it, then it's useless and I'd just waste money having a locksmith open it for me. I'd be better off to just destroy it to open it and purchase a new one.. that's assuming I can't get keys for it and I never find my keys.

2. DJDan

DJDan XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd call the local locksmith and then the safe manufacturer. You definitely arent the first one to do this and I'm sure one of them knows what to do.

Good luck!

3. E-City XD

E-City XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have seen kits for picking tubular locks in some magazines so I'm sure a locksmith could get it open for you, maybe the lock code (4 digit like a tool box?) is stamped on the back of the lock?

4. RUDY850

RUDY850 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have one like yours.
    I'm not sure but I think I remember reading in the Manuel that the key code is on the back on a sticker or stamped in the metal.
    Give the company a call if you can. To find out

5. Old School

Old School Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    RUDY is correct. Most safes will have a code that you can give to the MANU and they will send you a new key.

6. beitzel15

beitzel15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    same thing happend to me a few years ago....

I had 2 keys for it, lost one and couldnt find the other. Being my lucky self, I searched for about 7 hours straight and found 1 pair:rolleyes:

hope everything works out!

7. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I used to have a nice wodden gun display case but lost the keys to it. I ended up selling it at a garage sale for 25.00 and while helping a guy load it into his van, the drawer fell open and the keys materialized...lol.

Good luck, I would call the manufacture.

8. D_Fence

D_Fence XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There is very easy way to pick many cheap tubular locks made more than a year or two ago. If that doesn't work, there is a moderately easily way to try as well.

It is worth a try, so I'll PM you.

9. grahamstein

grahamstein XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Call a locksmith, they can definately open it, but if you want to try picking it go for it first, just remember that picking locks requires a certain amount of "finesse"

10. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    +1
    Call the manufacturer first and be prepared to give your serial number and/or code from the safe and explain your predicament.

If possible get two keys and keep one where it won't ever be lost or stolen. Safety deposit boxes are great for that.

11. any4xx

any4xx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you do decide to just break it open, cut the bottom off of it so you can remove your guns then remove the lock mechanism from the inside. Then once you have a new lock mechanism, just weld the botom back on and you have your locker back (almost) good as new.

12. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    I've opened tubular-type locks quite often, and there's a dedicated tool for drilling them. As has been mentioned before, contact the maker to see about getting a new key, but if you need to force it, it can be opened easily with no further damage to the safe by a 'smith who knows what he's about. Then you just replace the cylinder portion of the locking mechanism and you're back in business. Keep us informed on what happens.

13. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i found them! yay! I am writing the key code down, and storing one key in a safe place.. also going to get extra keys.

14. Bidah

Bidah XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good for you.. another lesson learned..for me!! :)

15. standerson

standerson XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    These locks can be opened by a locksmith.

My story: Bought a spankin' new good size gun safe with a combo dial.

We were going out of town so we locked everything we had in it. Came back, couldn't get it open. Combo would not work. The lock had not been tightened down at the factory and it slipped, throwing the tumblers off. Had to borrow a home defense weapon from a friend.

I called the guy who sold us the safe, excellent guy to buy from. He had the president of the safe company on the phone with me within an hour. We still couldn't get it open. He had a locksmith come out in a couple of days who opened the safe and installed a new electronic lock.

Love those pushbutton locks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.