Help me with this long gun dilemma...

Discussion in 'Other Long Gun Talk' started by orbrecon, Dec 5, 2010.

1. orbrecon

orbrecon XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MODS! Sorry if this is in the wrong place, the long gun forums were too specific for what I'm asking.

I'm having a terrible time trying to decide on shotgun vs rifle for my first long gun. I presently only own 1 gun, a 4" 9mm, and I'm looking to get something that does the things that the handgun can't. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, and I'm trying to keep it under $600.

THE SHOTGUN
    Mossberg 50579 500SP 12 20 CB 8SH SYN PGK $320.00 SHIPS FREE
    Really liking the looks of this package, and for $320 shipped, I don't think it can be beat. Seems like a great reliable starter shotgun. The thing is, it wouldn't really be used for anything other than home defense and maybe the occasional hunt, and it's effective range with buckshot isn't that much greater than the pistol. However, I do like the stocklessness (word?) of the cruiser grip, which would make it a great HD alternative to the 9mm.

THE RIFLE
    Who knows?
    This is where I need some help XDers. I don't know a lot about rifles, the only 2 I've shot were 22lr and 30-30 lever action. I do know that I want a semi-auto for my first rifle, as it will, like the shotgun, do double duty for HD and hunting. I would like it in a caliber that is effective on deer, but with as low recoil as possible, as I highly value quick follow-up shots. 5.56 seems like it would be about right for me, but I can't hardly find anything under $800, which is just out of my budget. If anyone has any suggestions on a good starter AR-style rifle, please offer it up. I'm open to all suggestions. Thank you!

2. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 5
    Many to be had. I think ALL of these are brand new, used ones would be cheaper and whatever might be wrong with them could be replaced as funds allow. I'm not a BIG fan of the AR but it's popularity makes it cheap to get into.

ar 15 colt armalite AR15 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

DPMS PANTHER 5.56 NATO SPORTICAL AR-15 AR15 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Bushmaster XM15-E2S 223 5.56 12" Handgaurd AR-15 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Bushmaster AR-15 New without box AR15 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

3. DieTrying310

DieTrying310 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any of those AR's up top would do well for HD/deer hunting as long as you place your shots well. If you do get the mossberg, I would avoid going to the pistol grip only. Makes controlling the gun a bit of a pain. Plus with the 20" barrel it'll be a bit hard to swing around the house, but that's subjective really. If you want a mossberg check out their 500 special purpose line. A little better for home defense and most can be had for around $400.

Mossberg 50420 500SP 12 18 6SH CB TACT SYN $392.00 SHIPS FREE

You will gain in home defense with this rig, but lose a little bit with the hunting. Good luck.

4. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 5
    I have the brushed nickle Marine Magnum it's an awesome gun but if the indoors HD is already covered by the 9mm, then go with some sort of rifle. 5.56 will easily take deer ( people around here have illegally shot deer with 22LR for ages ) and anything smaller, coyotes, chucks etc.

6. orbrecon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the AR links, I think I'll probably go rifle over shotgun this time, even though that 870 looked real nice. Any other good deals, post em up!

7. orbrecon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So what about the AK-47? It seems like a great shtf rifle. How would it work for hunting, using plastic or soft tip rounds.

8. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 6
    if you want a shotgun to hunt with, don't get the 8 shot 500. The barrel options are limited, it's really best served for defense.

get a 6 shot with a 28" accu choke barrel and order an 18.5" barrel for defense duty.

9. WGSNewnan

WGSNewnan XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    im gonna take you a little different route here. if you want a good starter pump 12 gauge then buy the maverick 88. they can be had for 179.00 right now from various sources. its the same as the mossberg 500 in all reality. i would also suggest to you a bolt action rifle in .308 / .30-06 / .270 etc for hunting purposes. i say this because most semi auto rifles are somewhat less accurate. barring the FN's. the new maverick 88 rifle goes for 199.00 in most places. a scope and some rings and you have a good rifle. also look at savage and remington packages.

for 500 you can have a good shotgun and hunting rifle and enough money left over to pick up a good ak/saiga/sks etc if you want a good semiauto for defence etc. that combined with your 9mm would be a pretty good "arsenal" capable of handling anything you would come across.

10. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +248 / 4
    The PG'd shotgun is a terrible choice for a HD shotgun; it does absolutely nothing for you, and several things against you. Get something with a stock on it.

As for rifles...well, you say $800 is too much...what are you looking to spend? Personally, for about the same price as the shotgun you link to, you should be able to find a decent SKS...which, as far as something one could also use hunting would be my preference over an AK.

11. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  12. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 6
    There's always the Saiga family too.

honestly though, get a good bolt gun for hunting. The Savage Edge/Axis rifle sounds like a fantastic gun for the budget hunter. You can get them scoped for less than 400 dollars and shoot 1" at 100 Yards if you feed it right.

13. jmichna

jmichna XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +619 / 19
    For a budget hunting rifle, why not the Mosin-Nagant M91/30? C&R eligible... as cheap as $70... and you can get them in excellent condition for under $150. And you can get the sniper version for less than $400 with scope. Or you could step up a bit in class and get the Finnish M39 "kissing cousin" to the M91/30 for roughly $100 more. Maybe a bit more recoil than you're looking for, but you'd be hard pressed to find a rifle as good for the same dollar amount. Ammo is very cheap and plentiful as well.

And with the spike bayonet, can do double-duty as the cooking implement.... j/k. ;)

14. kalford

kalford XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do not go with the pistol grip shotgun, youtube has a bunch of kids that have been kicked in the mouth/ forehead with them. If you want a smaller size for storage or transport, please look at the folding or collapsing stock options.

As for cheaper ARs, have you looked at keltecs plr223? Not quite an AR, but appears to fill the same role. Also uses AR magazines.

My vote for your money is a maverick 88, sks, and Mosin. A nice budget priced battery that can be upgraded as funds permit.