Help me out with weapons light.

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Powerman, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    Powerman

Powerman XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1,707 / 47
    So I never really thought about one. But I should have one. I've never really shopped for them. For a long gun some different activation types. I don't need super solar flare bright. I like good gear but I'm not paying $300 for a weapon light. I don't know if laser combos are worth it or not.

So point me in a direction. Tell me what you like, or what features you find useful. Maybe others are curious too. Thanks guys.

2. Feb 7, 2017 #2
    Amish_ninjas

Amish_ninjas XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +3,789 / 22
    I'd spend the dough and buy a Surefire scout light. That being said I've got a buddy that runs these on his rifles and he loves them. Built like tanks and through several trips in the shoot house it's always performed.

Primary Arms Ultimate Weapon Light Gen III

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #3
    yocan

yocan XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1,962 / 56
    Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2- 88059 this is what I'm running and where I got it from, granted I got it on a liquidation sale for like $92 shipped. Best light I"ve had yet, way lighter than surefires. I stick with surefires for handhelds and pistol lights but IMO surefire has nothing like this for under $300. Comes with a button or the tape switch, IMO its a good tape switch. Has the rail tabs to mount the switch to the rail so no additional purchases.

Get that go to battery junction and buy the titanium innovations 123 battery they cost $.98 each and have the internal circuit to keep them from going kaboom, much like surefires do. Slightly shorter lifespan, but slightly more juice gives you a better time for a better price.

Enjoy

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Feb 8, 2017 #4
    yocan

Ratings:
    +1,962 / 56
    I get it but at twice the weight and not as reputable a brand for a light I'd well not get it. Weight on the end really does make a difference. I haven't seen that beam but the pro tacs is very pleasantly diffused not to harshly affect your vision, I haven't seen the primary one.

5. Feb 8, 2017 #5
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +11,169 / 274
    I'm a Surefire guy, all the way.

Scoutlight is worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Feb 8, 2017 #6
    Powerman

Powerman XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1,707 / 47
    Why.

It's really hard to see $300 for a light with as good and cheap lights are these days.

7. Feb 8, 2017 #7
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,150 / 7
    ^ Because, so far, they're still the most proven.

The new Streamlight "Protac Rail-Mount" units that yocan noted (there is also a 1-cell version, as well as a 1K-lumens, 27,100 candela "thrower" variant) are really quickly gaining popularity - not just for the price, but also as more and more hard-use folks truly hard-test them.

If you want to buy new, wanted a tape-switch setup, and you want to maintain a sub-$150 budget, the Streamlights would be where I would go. Let your preference for weight as well as beam throw be your driving factors in the decision.

For the $150-$200 range and prefer tail-cap switching (you can use Surefire tape-enabled E/Scout-series tail-caps with these) the Arisaka units (1 and 2-cell, both using Malkoff drop-ins) would be my choice

Many folks continue to update/upgrade to Surefire's newest and brightest every time they come out with something. The secondary market will typically see some previous-generation gear, and this is usually the time when such deals start to appear, as students prepare for the next class season as well as after Shot Show previews what's to come. Neither of the Surefire Scout lights - 1-cell or 2 - really was a completely revolutionary change from the previous-generation models, but both incrementally increased both brightness as well as throw. That said, your OP reads that you do not need to pursue the ultimate, so you may be able to get some great deals this way.

8. Feb 8, 2017 #8
    Amish_ninjas

Amish_ninjas XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +3,789 / 22
    This is why I'm a Surefire guy. This is my Streamlight ProTac HL. This is where it was mounted on my rig. Back from the comp yet as you can see there's no lens on it anymore. At some point during the first mag I fired it blew the lens apart. Now, a replacement bezel and lens is plenty cheap but in the decade I used Surefire lights in combat I never managed to break one. I did this during a slow fire Range session. IMG_0464.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Feb 8, 2017 #9
    Snaphook

Snaphook XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +7,804 / 130
    I use a Streamlight TLR-2 on my Sig 226 with a green laser. It replaces a Sig combo light / laser set I had that broke and the Streamlight has been rock solid. 300 lumens and around 330 bucks on Amazon.

What I like about the Streamlight is it's very solid and durable so far plus I like the way the light is projected, it's a fairly narrow beam plus a broad lighter area that are brightened. So if you shined it at a wall at 20' or so you'd see a dinner sized high intensity beam in the center plus the whole wall would be lit.

They're not cheap but I have no idea if the less expensive options are good or not.

I don't have a light on my AR.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Feb 8, 2017 #10
    yocan

Ratings:
    +1,962 / 56
    No tlrs on rifles