Help me build my next AR.

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Planedr, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Apr 21, 2017 #11
    John A.

John A. XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,185 / 15
    @Powerman, I have heard of the elk hunt story. I was one of the early adopters of the round and remember when the guy posted about it on 68 forum.

I cannot say that I was impressed with the 6.8, and why I got out of it.

I have several pictures of the deer, none showing any signs of blood at all.

And photos' while skinning it, and photos of the jacket, which separated from the bullet, despite supposedly being a BONDED bullet.

And remember removing fragments from just under the hide where the exit wound SHOULD have been.

Take your pick of links. I'm not the only one to experience what I have shared. And why I moved on to something else.

6.8 fail exit - Google Search

"I took my first deer with the new build on Saturday (MLD permit) and was not super impressed with the round I selected. I went with the 110 gr Hornady BTHP, which from reading on 6.8forums.com, is an offshoot of their LEO TAP loading, performing more like a SP than a HP. I nailed the deer right in the lungs, but the bullet didnt even make it clear to the other side of the internal cavity, expending all its energy in the lungs. Very lethal but no blood trail to speak of, and if I had not seen it fall, recovery would have been extremely difficult. Needless to say I will be using something else from now on."
    6.8 SPC hunting ammo | TexAgs

2. Apr 21, 2017 #12
    N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 4
    If it was me, I would be considering a cost cutting factor of just developing the complete uppers, since you already have 2 complete lowers. Your 2k budget will leave you at least $300 of room for some really fine glass.
    Like you, I also have 2 complete lowers. One running a 5.56, and the other a 300BO SBR. At this point, I can just drop a 6.5 Grendel, or a .458 SOCOM upper on either.

I steered clear of the 7.62x39 just because all of the mag/feed issues I've seen my buddies working through. If that's what you really want, I recommend running it on what it was designed for, the AK.

For the 300BO fans out there take a look at this 300 AAC Blackout Archives - Good To Go Ammo

• Like Like x 1
  3. Apr 21, 2017 #13
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +10,543 / 243
    "$300" and "really fine glass" are two phrases which really don't belong together...;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Apr 21, 2017 #14
    N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 4
    Agreed! But would save him at least 3 bills on $2000 glass.

5. Apr 21, 2017 #15
    Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 7
    300 Blackout ammo is coming down in price. You don't have to spend $1 a round to get good ammo. This is new brass, with 125 gr Speer TNT bullet. I have put 150 rounds through my 300 Blackout AR with no problems. Pretty accurate too. I got it last month when it was on sale for $134.50 per 250 rounds. Since I don't reload, I'll be buying more of it when it comes back in stock. It's almost the same price as Magtech or S&B FMJ.

New Brass 125gr Speer TNT Supersonic 250 rounds | Modern Arms International

• Like Like x 1
  6. Apr 21, 2017 #16
    Powerman

Powerman XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1,479 / 39
    I get it John. I'm not saying you're wrong. I've seen the talk. The last thing this world needs is another deer cartridge. Many many to choose from already that can already do the job. 308 is more than capable for most cases for most people with a long history. But not a lot of reasons to go large frame AR for a hunting rig when bolt guns are way more accurate for much less money and a lot less weight.

The 6.8 is one of several bastard rounds developed to put more power in an existing platform. Existing platforms have limitations. 6.8 is a compromise that has to accept those limitations. The 6.8 is exactly what it was developed to be... More power out of a AR platform specifically made for more common shorter barrels. The increased performance pushes the AR platform into the realm of reasonable ethical medium game hunting. So while there are plenty to choose from, 6.8 makes a AR a much more capable home/truck/ranch gun.

The 6.5 is in the same boat. Bastard round that has compromises. Bench shooters and reloaders like it much more because of bullet choices and performance. But many others to choose from that already fill that role. 300 is meant to be suppressed. They both have their pros and cons. All three are in the same league dealing with compromises.

7. Apr 22, 2017 #17
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    ^ Particularly considering that about half that would be spent on a good mount or set of rings.....

$300 these days isn't all too shabby for at least a decent LPVO. It's gonna be pushing it, in terms of magnification (or lack thereof), weight, and choices...but with the outgoing offering from Vortex (for example, their first-generation PST is now a discontinued item, with the second-generation now in open retail and gathering rave reviews from top-tier instructors such as Steve Fisher), Primary Arms, etc., it's reasonably doable.

But with half that budget going towards good rings or a mount, unless you're really lucky on the secondary market, there's no way to even reasonably get quality glass for the balance (i.e. $150), especially not if you'd expect to really stretch your legs with that gun.

Be realistic, Planedr.... Either shave off some of your overall budget and direct it towards the optic and its mount, or look to consolidate your glass. As the likes of Todd Hodnett would say, it's better to have one good mount/glass to share among several guns than it is to have an "OK" scope that's resident on each of those guns.

Good rifles deserve good glass. :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Apr 22, 2017 #18
    Powerman

Ratings:
    +1,479 / 39
    Well if it's 2K for rifle and glass... Well that's different. But you can still get a good rifle for $1200 ish, which leaves $800 for Mount and glass. 100-150 for mount, so you are talking nice mid-level stuff. Aimpoint Pro... Other nice red dots. Plenty of 1x4/6 scopes. Not impossible for a decent solid setup.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Apr 22, 2017 #19
    Planedr

Planedr XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Good point I really never even thought about optics. Doh!:oops: I guess I need to do some research on that.
    Thanks.

10. Apr 22, 2017 #20
    Powerman

Ratings:
    +1,479 / 39
    No matter what I shop, I always want the most for my money. No matter what price level, bang for buck is always good. In that area, Vortex is really hard to beat. There is equal, better, maybe a specific feature... But no matter what ya look at, there will be a really good Vortex. At least start there, at any price point.

Seriously, 2k for a rifle... Add 500 to that for glass and rifle... Dude, you won't be cutting any corners. I put together a lower, no compromise, cost a little more than the BCM upper that went on it. A little over 2k with Aimpoint pro. The 6.8 cost a little less than other rifle alone, but I spent nearly as much on good glass. So ya, your budget isn't holding you back much regardless of caliber. Doing your work to get best bang for buck, it will come out nice.

• Like Like x 1