Help choosing a home theater system

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by beitzel15, Nov 22, 2010.

1. beitzel15

beitzel15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in Sams Club today and decided to try the demo on these bose 2.1 speakers.
    Bose CineMate Digital Home Theater Speaker System - Sam's Club
    HOLY SH*T! They literally blew me away.... The sound was outstanding to be 2 small speakers.... I almost bought it right then.. just due to how great it sounded.. but that's a lot of money.... I know you get what you pay for.

It'll be in a small'ish room.. not too big, not to small... Im just bored with my flat screen speakers... they sound good for tv... but gaming and movies, i want more.

Is $450 a good buy for these?

Any rec. on anything $300 and under? I thought about a Sony sound bar with the sub... but nothing sounds anywhere as clear and crisp as these bose speakers do.

2. acwildcat

acwildcat XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-CT150-Sound-Bar-System/dp/B003C1AO2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290467954&sr=8-1]Sony SoundBar[/ame] Its in a fairly small room but the sound is fantastic and I could see it working for even a much larger room. It definitely makes Call of Duty sound a lot cooler ;-). All in all a great buy for under $300.

3. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I never understood people and bose. They really aren't considered good home theatre speakers but people love them. Personally I would buy a decent denon amp and just buy good speakers are you can afford them.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

4. Scottpants

Scottpants XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you're looking for something somewhat cheap, you can find pretty decent "home theater in a box" systems in the range of $300. I got a Yamaha set for my parents that is awesome. Just make sure if you do that to get one that actually has a receiver with multiple inputs rather than just a DVD player that has plugs for the speakers.

5. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    If you go cheap in box set I remember onkyo used to make some decent ones. Not sure now though.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

6. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Keep in mind the cheap box set receivers usually do not allow for HDMI video switching. You'll get to use the receiver, but maybe not how you'd like. IMO, if you're going to get a receiver it should do video switching.

7. VDubbinMI

VDubbinMI XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With bose your paying more for the name than the performance. I'd look into starting with used components as you can normally find good deals on craigslist or the like. Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon are all good brands. I picked up a refurbed Yamaha Rxv663 7.2 channel reciever for $300 last year. Best sounding receiver in the low-mid price range I've owned. Add a good set of bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer and you have a 2.1 system way better than any bose system. Slowly build up your system as your budget allows adding a center channel, floorstanding fronts and moving your bookshelf speakers as your rear or side channels, etc.

Be warned tho that home theater systems can be as addicting if not more than guns. :)

8. tizzo

tizzo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is on the right track. Personally I would avoid sound bar systems and those small speaker systems.

I would start out with a good receiver (Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.) book shelf speakers (I recommend 6" woofers or larger) and a good center channel. Follow these purchases with your subwoofer and surround speakers (5.1 system, 7.1 is overkill)

I would also avoid big box stores for anything beyond the receiver.

I will close with the affirmative, I am an audio snob to a certain extent.

9. VinnAY

VinnAY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since you're willing to spend $450, spend $429 and be WAY ahead of that Bose 2.1 nonsense:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQRG/ref=sr_du_2_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1290518713&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S5300 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver and Speaker Package with iPod Dock (Black): Electronics[/ame]

This may be overkill for your needs but the point is is that you can get a sweet at least 5.1 system for less than Bose where you're paying for name over quality.

10. beitzel15

beitzel15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  11. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    This seems like the next step up from mine with the 3D capabilities. I enjoy my receiver very much. Here's the key when looking for a receiver though:
    or
    If you don't see something similar to the specs above, the receiver will only handle audio and you'll need two HDMI cables.

ETA: I see you already bought one. Congrats!!

12. CrAz3D

CrAz3D XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I picked up a Onkyo HTIAB HT6100 a couple years ago for $500. I really like it. I just wish I'd bother putting up the rest of the speakers...haha.

Onkyo HT-S6100 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Package with iPodĀ® Dock | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

13. rozz421

rozz421 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know that Bose is very over priced, but I have to say last year i was given a 321 sytem as a christmas gift and it sounds fantastic. I think the quailty is awsome however getting it as a gift is different then buying one.