Hello all gotta question for ya folks.

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by xfirehouse39x, Dec 17, 2010.

1. xfirehouse39x

xfirehouse39x XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :confused:Heya guys just joined the forum and happy to be here. I have a question and it may have already been on here but I cant find it yet... I would like to get an XD .45 mainly for CCW. I have yet to decide whether i want to use an IWB or a Blackhawk Serpa II or III holster but anyhoo..>My main question is which to get; I really do like the XD .45 5 inch tactical compact and was wondering if it is much more difficult to carry than the 4"? I have already ruled out the 3.8" simply just because of preference. What do you folks think? Thank you in advance.:confused:

2. EMN83

EMN83 XDTalk 30K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    I carry a 4in, but, remember, barrel length isn't that much of a problem. I'e also looked at 1911s for carry, and they have a longer barrel. don't worry about that, it's more grip length that mnatters

3. mistercoffee2

mistercoffee2 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome xfirehouse39x. New guy myself.

I cannot answer your question and to me holsters are the most difficult decisions we make.

So I have a question for you. Other then the obvious 1/2", why do you like the XD 45 5" over the newer XD(M) 45 4.5" and why do you refer to it as "tactical compact"? (I'm going to guess that was like me when my fingers get ahead of what I'm thinking.)

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger (pun intended) on the purchase of an XD(M) 45 4.5 and wondered if I'm messing something.

4. EMN83

EMN83 XDTalk 30K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    the tactical compact is a 5in tactical wit a shorter grip, using 10 round magazines or 13 round magazines with sleeves. the tactical compact is just a compact version of the tactical, the shorter grip makes it easier to conceal than the XD(m), for most people

5. iDominate

iDominate XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the XDM .45 and have no problem concealing. But I realize not everyone is able to conceal easily due to you build and body type. I prefer the styling of the XDM line over the XD. It was my first gun purchase. I also didn't like the feel of the shortened grips on the compact handguns. It felt like my hand was falling off, as if wasn't able to hold it correctly. I think it just depends on what you feel like carrying. If they had a XDM .45 in a 3.8" length, I would be all over that. Just my thoughts.

I too would recommend the CrossBreed Supertuck. I read alot of horror stories about people buying 3-4 holsters before finding one they liked. I took the advice of people in the thread and am quite pleased with my Supertuck.

6. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    As for the holster your going to need to go IWB and I 1000% recommend the CrossBreed Supertuck! Second I have the 4" Compact and would get it. Because frankly another inch put's the BBL to far down my leg for comfort.

The Serpa is a good holster just not for Concealed Carry!

7. mistercoffee2

mistercoffee2 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, I see it now on the SA site. It's cool but I will go with the XD(M) 4.5" because it is not for carry. I carry the Glock 23 now and will change to my XD(M) 9 3.8 Compact when I get a holster for it. Wish I could find a holster that fits the XD(M) Compact 3.8" and my future (soon I hope) XD(M) 40 Sub Compact 3".

8. EMN83

EMN83 XDTalk 30K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    if it fits the regular XD(m) 3.8 it should fit the compact 3.8

the SuperTuck for the XD(m) would do it for you. i love my CBST. and good luck with the XDM 45, it's a good gun

9. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome from Oregon and I would recommend a commander size 1911. Easy to ccw and very comfortable.

10. xfirehouse39x

xfirehouse39x XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are right, I didn't realize that I had written "tactical". My apologies...I was just considering the 5" XD compact over the XDM simply because I had the option of losing .75 in in height for ccw. Am i missing something?

11. Johnnybgood

Johnnybgood XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Welcome to the forum. The XD45 in the 5" model is a "Tactical Model" the 4" is the "Service Model" and they come in the full size frame or the compact frame. If the Compact frame feels like your pinky is looking for a place on the grip then you can buy a grip extension made by Pearce. I CC the XD 45 Compact 4" Service Model with the shorter magazine in a CrossBreed Supertuck Holster almost daily because sometimes I carry it in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster if I'm just running to the store. I have no problems with it and the CrossBreed is more comfortable than I even imagined it would be. The Compact Tactical model is an awesome pistol and I'm told that the extra inch can take some getting used to when sitting but in a holster with an adjustable cant that problem can be taken care of. Personaly i think you would be fine with the 4" model but if you want the 5" go for it either choice would be a fine one. I hope this info is helpful.- Johnny