heavier recoil spring, purpose??

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by dme111, Sep 17, 2010.

1. dme111

dme111 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so having a spring that is rated at 20lbs helps with a lighter recoil? is this the purpose of the mod? also what is up with different guide rods?

i want to up grade my 9mm xdm. thinking trigger kit id like 3lbs or so. good brands for this?

also if the spring helps reduce recoil then id like to do that as well. its not that its hard to shoot but why not make it even easier.

id like to do both of these mods to my xd sc .40 as well.

sorry for my ignorance

dme

2. TACC XD

TACC XD XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would also like to hear the purpose of putting a "heavier" recoil spring in.

I am using a stock one now.

3. imonfire

imonfire XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I understand it correctly, the heavier spring will help with initial recoil and muzzle rise, but it will contribute to the slide slamming harder to close, contributing to muzzle dip. The spring is a compromise and that is why I will stick with the factory part.

4. field

field XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you want LESS recoil, get a lighter recoil spring

5. Horoscope Fish

Horoscope Fish XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A lighter recoil spring will reduce felt recoil but at the expense of battering the pistols frame and slide more since the lighter spring will be absorbing less of the recoil impulse. Lighter recoil springs, generally, are suggested for lighter target loads, heavier springs for full-power or +P rated ammo.

6. LJenkmd

LJenkmd XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As far as the trigger goes, I had PRP install their competition trigger in mine, at 3.5#. Very nice trigger.

:cool:

7. dme111

dme111 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks guys

8. field

field XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if the slide is hitting against the locking block when your shooting would it be pretty obvious?

would cratered primer pockets with a very small drag mark on them be the product of ammo that is too high a pressure or could you get cratered primer pockets from having a recoil spring that is too light for the ammo that you are using? just wondering, i was curious whether the position/speed of the slide relative to a round being shot off at a certain time would have any effect

9. The Expert

The Expert XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Similar to what was mentioned previously, I would only upgrade to a heavier recoil spring if I was consistently shooting +P ammo.

While I carry +P ammo for self defense, I don't shoot it at the range. As I shoot at the range more than I shoot the +P ammo, I stick with the standard recoil spring.

10. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Quote: "if the slide is hitting against the locking block when your shooting would it be pretty obvious?"

The XD and XDm are designed so both the barrel movement and slide movement are stopped by contact with the locking block. This occurs before the recoil spring is at a stacked coil compression with the stock spring. Unless the spring is so strong for the power of the cartridge that it prevents full opening travel of the slide, and risks a failure to pickup the next round, the slide will always stop against the locking block. The recoil spring just regulates how hard this contact happens and whether the shooter can feel it as separate from the general feel of the recoil. The pistol is designed to transfer the recoil stop energy from the locking block to the frame, after it has been adequately slowed by the recoil spring(s). Unless you understand the physics and design principles, you are probably best to stick with commercial ammo and the stock springs. The stock spring accommodates a wide range of ammo variation. Unless in special circumstances of using only very light or very heavy loads the stock strength is best.

A heavier recoil spring will close the slide faster and may require a heavier mag spring to position new rounds in time for the slide closure. A lighter recoil spring only if your ammo does not have sufficient power to fully open the slide and it fails to correctly load a new round. In general use the 3-6 foot distance for empty case ejection as an indicator. (less than 3, go lighter. More than 6, go heavier).

When firing 45Super ammo, from my XD45 Service with the stock recoil assembly, the slide contact with the locking block can be felt as a distinct slap at the end of the recoil stroke. Normally, even with +P45acp rounds, no contact slap is detected.

11. l98ster

l98ster XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As far as springs go, I would match the spring to the ammo being used. For example, I shoot my XD in IPSC/IDPA competition. I am loading my own ammo to the lightest it can go and still be legal for competition (minor power factor). The stock spring was to heavy to reliably cycle the gun. I went to a wolf spring that was 2 pounds lighter, and now it is completely reliable.

If I were to use the light spring that i currently have in the gun with a load that was much hotter, although it would work, it would put an unneccessary "beating" on the slide. So, for hotter loads, I would move up to a heavier spring.

If recoil is the issue, I would concentrate more on your grip than anything else. Use a spring that reliably cycles your pistol!

-George