Having a Tough Time Seeing

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by Wayne45, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Wayne45

Wayne45 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking for some ideas on what I can do to see the front sight more clearly. Here is my situation (in point form, preceeded by a short history).

I was shooting a friends pistol with trijicon sights, they are white-ish and I can not see them when I shoot. I am a mature person, with mature failing eyesight (nothing out of the ordinary, just gettin old).
    Ok, so onto the situation:

1. can't see white sights with no glasses
    2. can't see target with glasses (although the sight looks damn nice :)

Possible options (I am guessing, here is where I need opinions and expertice)
    1. black sights (tried this and it sortta works, except the blur is a bit thick and hard to see the crisp top of the front sight (btw, I can shoot a 5" group consistantly @25 yards with black sights, but it is still pretty blurry).
    2. different color sight maybe? green , red, ???
    3. light emitting sights?
    4. bifocals? I doubt they would help as I would be head bobbing to see target and sights.

Surely some of you older people have overcome this issue. I would really like your opinions/ideas.

2. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
  3. XDmct

XDmct XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Use a laser or red dot.

4. lye

lye XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I kinda like them Big Dot sights, Will they work with normal holsters?
    and how are they at night?

5. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm not sure from your first post - are your glasses for distance or reading? If for distance you might want to try without prescription, using normal safety glasses - that will let you focus on front site instead of on target. Sort of works for me, but I am still not comfortable with everything all fuzzy at distance. Although when you think about it, when using a rifle at 100-200 yards or so, even back when I was young with uncorrected 20/20 did not see detail on target, just put rifle sites on it. We had a discussion here: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/164874-vision-issues.html

6. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    No one who is maintaining a proper sight picture will be able to see both the front sight of the firearm (what you must focus on) and the target in perfect focus. Focus on the front sight, it should be clear and in perfect focus, and place the top of the front sight over the target (which will be out of focus and fuzzy.) Remember to maintain a proper sight picture while doing so (top of the front sight vertically aligned with the top of the rear sight, and equal amounts of light on both sides of the front sight between the rear sight notch.)

7. f150baja

f150baja XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    anybody else use those xs sights? i kind of like them, but might take some getting use to.

8. biker21sp

biker21sp XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check out www.safevision.com and give them a call. I've seen a couple write-ups in gun magaines about them and all have given them good reviews. I shoot with a guy that ordered a set of glasses from them and is very happy. They have a process called reverse bifocal that is designed for shooters and the way our eyes work to process sight alignment and sight picture.

Another option would be to find a local to you optometrist or opthamologist that is also a shooter and understands what you are looking for and trying to accomplish.

9. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    For the record, I've never used them.
    I've researched them, but never bought any.
    I use standard Meprolight and Trijicon sights on my carry pistols.

Take the first video with a grain of salt.
    This guy could probably shoot like this without sights on his pistol at all.
    Also there is no telling how many takes it took to get the shot.
    First video wouldn't embed, so just click on it.
    These videos may or may not give you more insight to the product.
    I think Big Dots would be helpful if you had issues with your vision.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVCeJ103BQ&feature=related"]YouTube - XS Sight Demo II[/ame]

Show the installed Big Dots in lower light.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmLewEGl6s&feature=related"]YouTube - XS Big dot Sight Review for Glocks.AVI[/ame]

10. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Welcome to the forums and the failing eyesight club :p

About the only thing I've found that really works for me, is a red dot, or holographic sight, and my distance glasses.
    Second choice is a fiber-optic front sight, but it's blurry.

I experience your pain ;)

11. Learn2turn

Learn2turn XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey you guys, didn't you read... Wayne has trouble with the white sight, so you reccomend a big round blurry white dot for him!?!?:rolleyes:

I think the ADE Diamond Speedsights are a better option and was going to reccomend them to the OP as well.
    Welcome Wayne.

Take a look at these profiles:
    Sight Profiles

Wayne, Why can't you see the target with your glasses on?

12. Wayne45

Wayne45 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the responses . . . wow! there's a lot of em :)

I will clarify my vision shortcommings . . . OLD AGE :)
    I never have worn glasses my whole life until 2 years ago. Now I
    wear 1.5x readers mostly for work and 3x readers for shaving.
    I realise I am to focus on the sights and not the target(target
    should be slightly out of focus). This is the problem, Without the
    readers, I can NOT see the front sight. With the readers, I am
    lucky to see the wall, let alone the target.

The XS sights look interesting, but again, they are pretty light (white/green on white)
    The pistol I used with the most sucess so far was plain fixed black sights, but as I mentioned, the top of the front sight was still blurry. I don't seem to be able to bring a sharp focus in that close to my face without glasses.

Is no one out there 50+ old with worn out eyes that only uses readers? Thought maybe there was a particular color that might be easier to focus on at close range.

CdnInAz, I followed your link, appears I am not alone in the vision problem, thanks.
    I will try a red dot I think and see if the color works for me. The J Point Reflex sounds like the ticket, but they are pricey. However, looking at those 1x sights gave me an idea . . . I am going to try a pair of 1x readers(I don't wear them cause they aren't crisp enough up close, but they are fine at arms length, I think) and they should be weak enough for me to get a blurry picture of the target.

13. Mudpaw

Mudpaw XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wayne...I started wearing readers about 10 years ago. I have the same problem. No glasses and I can't see my sights but can see the target. Glasses to see the sights leaves the target a blur.
    I have been working with my optomotrist and have tried multi-focal contacts. We are still tweaking my perscription, but I now can see both my sights and target.
    This getting old stuff really sucks!

14. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I guess I just don't understand why folks think they need to see the target. If you're shooting correctly, it's a blur anyway. If you're shooting consistently, you won't be looking at the target until after your magazine is empty.

I must be misunderstanding the OP's intent. As long as you can see your front sight clearly, there's no need to change a thing. Shooting correctly has nothing to do with seeing your target clearly.

15. Cloner

Cloner XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Wayne,

I just turned 50 and have the same problem. I switched from readers to progressive lenses a year ago. It works but still takes some getting use to. I also have Crimson Trace grips on all of my hand guns . I practice with and without the laser with and without my glasses with and without a tac light so I know I can hit what I aim at and what my limitations are for different occasions. It sucks. I hate getting old.

By far, the laser is my best option. I can hit anything I want under very adverse conditions (night) without my glasses.

I do like the Dawson Precision night sights for BUIS as well. You can use them like a standard black target sight in daylight and the three green dots are usable at night even without glasses. I can hit a "minute of man" in under 50 feet at night using only the night sights without a problem. Those green dots are a blur, but I can align them and hit my target if I have to, I'm just not going to enter any competitions under those conditions. :)

Cloner

16. Old Hick

Old Hick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wayne,

Welcome to the Forum.
    I Too suffer from what you are going through, OLD EYES.... :p

I am a Firm believer in the Fiber Optic type sights. I have the TruGlo TFO's on my XD's and wouldn't have anything but the TFO's.
    I know Dawson makes some nice sights, but I have not tried them so therefore I will not comment on them, but do know they make quality products.

I have to qualify for my work, and it is getting harder and harder every year using the 3 dot sights, or ANYTHING white. It is a BLUR... we have trijicons at on our glocks at work, and they are tiny, very tiny little white and black dots through my eyes.

Readers help for the sights, but yes everything else is a blur, so can't use them. Bifocals don't work either, cause you have to tilt your head back to far to see out the bottom of the glasses, and that just won't work.

I would recommend taking a look at some type of fiber optic sights, I KNOW you will be Happy with them.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Stay Safe.

17. Wayne45

Wayne45 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to all the posters to this thread. Thanks to several posters, I found some interesting info I would like to share with all of us in the "old age" club and to the younger people who will be joining us in the future :).
    To those of you that ask what the big deal is about, I give you this analogy:
    You are asked to shoot a man size target, you can see your sights clearly.
    The target is standing perfectly still, should be an easy shot at 20 yards.
    . . . did I mention he is BEHIND the 8' wall( somewhere) and the wall is some vague distance wide?:confused:
    This is not about a vague silhouette target, this is about not seeing anything but a grey blur of a wall that has your target on it . . somewhere.

After evaluating my options (as presented by you all), I have come to certain conclusions and some possible answers and some suggestions for things that may work, or at least may be worth a try.

1. Avoid light colored sights - they are way too blurry.
    2. Red sights may work - crispness of sight undetermined.
    3. J Point Reflex style sights - pricey and not sure if I would be allowed to compete with them.
    4. Modified eye-wear. Amber safety glasses may improve focus.
    Multi-focus eye-wear - tricky to use, pricey.
    5. Laser sights - sound more blurry than a similar colored iron sight.

Thanks to Learn2turn I found this: Advantage Tactical Sight Review This definitely warrants further study. I am thinking color might be helpful. Sometimes even a slight color/shade difference can make an object MUCH clearer.

Does anyone has experience with this sight?

18. Old Hick

Old Hick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try Painting your sights First before you buy "Color". You will find that they too (color) sights fade of blur, and act just like the white sights.

Take it from experience, the Fiber optics will do Wonders... I have Green & Green.

Just my 2 cents.

19. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Obviously you don't wear glasses, so ... Try this,
    Rub a bunch of dirt in your eyes, then pick up any gun you can find, and try shooting something while that dirt is falling out of your eye sockets :p

If that doesn't work,
    Then try to imagine what it's like to focus on your front sight, and not be able to tell the difference between a tall tree stump and a person @ 50 yards, if neither moves ;)

I'm sure I've got most of you beat in that department ... 20/250 in one eye, and 20/400 in the other ... Started wearing glasses at age 10, and it has only gotten worse in the 39 years since then.

Wayne,
    Check this out - Cabela's: Burris Gold FastFire Sight - I've got 2 of them and will probably buy a few more.
    One's on a 22 target pistol, and the other is on a 454 hunting revolver.

They work, take a beating, and are cheaper than the J-Point

Also,
    OH made a good suggestion.
    I've got a pellet gun with a green fiber optic front sight, and it's much clearer than all of the factory sights on any of my handguns.

20. Cloner

Cloner XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had one idea that I have not heard mentioned. I know that some folks get laser eye surgery to correct Presbyopia (which is the condition we are all talking about) that entails correcting one eye for distance (if needed) and the other for reading. I have heard conflicting reports on how well this works and I am not advocating corrective eye surgery, but, the thought occurred to me that having a set of shooting glasses made that has a corrective lens for your right eye to see the sight clearly and either a plain lens or corrective lens for distance in the left eye (assuming a right handed shooter) might work if you can train yourself to shoot with both eyes open and switch focus. Don't know if anyone has tried this but it is a thought.

I know that this can screw up your depth of field but does anyone have any experience with something like this? Either surgery, contacts, or glasses????

Cloner