Has anyone played around with different return springs?

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by dvdslw, Jan 4, 2013.

1. dvdslw

dvdslw XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just wondering because maybe I'm just used to the feel of a quality 1911 but the XD-S seems to have very little tension just off battery. I've heard several reports of FTRB and wonder if a stiffer recoil spring would remedy some or all of them? I know there are several factors that can contribute but if you get a minute, get your XD-S, safety check it (unload it), and pull back slightly on the slide. There will be little or no real pressure holding it into battery which feels unlike every other pistol I've ever owned. Grab any other auto you have laying around and try the same thing. ?????

2. MarkB

MarkB XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just checked my XDs that I picked up today, FINALLY (XS575XXX). This gun has not been fired yet. I find no play or loss of force holding the slide in battery. It is tight from full battery to the slide all the way to the rear.

3. dvdslw

dvdslw XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting? I have felt mine and 3 others at the gun store and they all feel the same. If you pull the slide back slowly there is not much felt pressure until it gets to about 1/8-1/4 inch back. I also handled a Beretta Nano today and it felt the same so maybe its' just me???

4. CoastieMike

CoastieMike XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The XDs has a two piece spring. Soft then hard.. Or at least mine does. Thas why it feels soft then hard. Its to normally to better manage recoil.

5. BillytheKidder

BillytheKidder XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not me boy, it's working just fine so far. I don't want to mess with it.

Because of all the chatter about problems, I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop since I got the gun for Christmas. I have shot about 500 rounds, with one fail to fire at about 175 and one at about 180. Nothing since then, using a number of different types of hardball. The last 100 being the cheapest thing I could find, Blazer aluminum case. I haven't even cleaned it for the last 300 , over about a week's time, just a drop of oil on the rails and one on the barrel , as advised in the manual.

6. bach33089

bach33089 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That difference in feel is caused by the dual spring system employed on the recoil spring assembly. The outer spring takes tension first and the inner spring engages after about 3/8" of travel. No problem, make sure the slide is all the way back when racking a round and don't let your hand follow the slide as it returns to battery... you'll be just fine!

7. j2flan

j2flan XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you did want one---where would you get one??

8. dvdslw

dvdslw XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sure Wolff will have them soon. They offer springs , guide rods and custom calibration kits for just about every gun made. I started the thread and although I have only had 2 ftf's in 650 rounds (at the hands of my wife), I'm confident enough to carry but I cant wait for the fine tuning to begin. I look foward to possibly installing a trigger group, recoil assembly, night sights, and maybe do the barell polish that others have done.

9. BigHolesRBetter

BigHolesRBetter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting for Wolff to offer M&P magazine springs...five years later....