Has anyone got a Griffin gun safe?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by wills670, Jan 26, 2013.

1. wills670

wills670 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been looking about getting a new safe and after quite a bit of research the best two (for the money) I can find is a Sturdy and I also found a company called Griffin Enterprise. The Sturdy looks like they are built very well and have heavy steel in them and the Griffin safes has quite a bit of steel with concrete as the fire liner and also has 3 glass plate relockers. They said the Griffin has 1/4 outer plate,1" concrete,1/8" steel another 1/2" concrete and then 1/8" steel in the door and the body has 1/8" steel then 1" concrete and another 1/8" steel plate on the inside. When I called them they confirmed that it is Concrete in the door and sides and not some knock off mixture.

Here is a link for the Griffin safe. This is thru another company but I called Griffin and they confirmed this is Griffin safes.
    Frank Zykan Safe & Vault, LLC - AMSEC Gun Safes

https://www.facebook.com/griffinsafes

So does anyone have a Griffin and if so how do you like it? Does anyone know of another I should look at? Or how do you like the looks of the Griffin?

They make these about four hours away and I think I may ride down and take a look but I wanted to see what kind of different ideas other poeple has. From what I have seen is most everyone is using thin steel if they have thick steel the price goes out of sight. My old Liberty safe I have was built in 94 but is was before they started making them out of 12 ga. material. The two things I don't like about the Sturdy is only two fixed bolts on the hinge side of the door and then it has ancle iron at the top and bottom made from the bolt carrier. And the lack of a glass plate relocker.

Thanks, Wilson

[​IMG]

2. wills670

wills670 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is a link where someone else sells this safe.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLd5UT3zPsk]Griffin FB40 Gun Safe - YouTube[/ame]

Unfortunaly other than a facebook page and telephone number the maker does not have a lot of other info. out until you look around and find some other people selling the safe.

Thats why I wanted to see if anyone had one.

3. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I don't have one, but I've heard good things. Mike Griffin knows what he's talking about.

[ame="http://youtu.be/aBVUDCicerA"]Griffin Safes - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know what Griffins Safes run for, but another great safe maker is Ft. Knox. They're very well made. In the event of a fire or burglary and your safe is damaged they'll replace the safe for free with a bigger size.

You just have to pay the freight on the new safe.

Gun Safe, Gun Vaults, Best Safes | Call Now 800.821.5216 | Fort Knox Also they're one of the few companies that make a UL listed safe. All except one (their Maverick is rated for 45 minutes at 1200 degrees) of their gun safes are UL listed and certified fireproof for 90 minutes at 1680 degrees.

What's your budget? That'll answer a lot of questions.

4. wills670

wills670 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to keep it under 3000.00
    I talked to Mike yesterday and he seems to know what he is talking about and the prices seem pretty good, he is a little over 4 hours away and said it would be about 400.00 delivered and set up. But he also said he would not sell me a high dollar safe until I came in person and looked at them. It's pretty good when someone want's you to be happy before the sale so there would not be any problems after the sale.

5. js12278

js12278 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is about the most informative safe video I have ever watched. With a budget of $3000 I am sure Mike will give you exactly what you need. Thanks for posting this video.

I got a few ideas on upgrading my gun safes now.

6. Rustynuts

Rustynuts XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Even more expensive, but I would also look at true rock wool fire lining. Even better than concrete I think. He was talking about the water vaporization helping with the fire rating. Think about all the rusting/warpage damage that steam can do. Also as he mentioned the burglary/fire rated safes are much better than "gun" only safes. Be also cognizant of the steel gauge used not only in the door, but also the body. The 10G he mentioned is probably even a bit skimpy for the ultimate safe.

7. wills670

wills670 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thing that I liked about the concrete is hopefully it will add a little bit more strength. With the concrete it makes the safe very heavy and also is a very good deterent from using a cutting torch on the safe.

Sturdy's safe has the option of a rock wool and cermiac insulation but no glass relock. I can't see the relock on a Sturdy but I think it is like my Liberty I have now it is mounted right beside the S&G lock and Mike hit the nail on the head right off yesterday about the very real possibility of taking out the combo and the relock at the same time.

When I upgrade I am planning on adding another relock to my Liberty and then place the Liberty beside the new safe which will sit in a corner of the basement and sounded by concrete on two side and the liberty on the other side leaving the only thing exposed is the door and possibly the top. I may build an enclosed top to cover both safe's and fill it with concrete.