Hammered or Hammerless

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by hardlivin, Oct 27, 2008.

1. hardlivin

hardlivin XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm looking at the Taurus Judge and have a quick question. What would be better with a hammer or without?

I need to know from a safety, maintenance, carry, and reliable perspective.

2. GlockConvert

GlockConvert XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Depends the use intendeded for the gun. If its for sport use, I'd say hammer. For defensivce use, hammerless would be my choice.

To not answer your question, but throw out something worth considering: if you shoot someone with a pistol called "the judge", what do you think the prosecuter is going to say?

3. hardlivin

hardlivin XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would use the weapon for general range duty. Basically shooting just for the fun of it in a safe, controlled, and legal manner. I won't rule out using it for SD either.

Why would having a hammer be better for sporting purposes? I can understand why not having hammer would be better for concealment purposes.

Never really put much thought into the name given by the manufacturer having a negative impact in court. Good point. But if it's what's on me and I need it then I'll have no choice but to use it.

Let me broaden the question beyond just the Taurus Judge. What are the advantages to having or not having a hammer on a revolver?

4. Perchjerk

Perchjerk XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    go with the hammer cause your probly not gonna carry it and thats all the bobbed version is good for plus the trigger pull isnt great

5. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    If its for sd, your barking up the wrong tree. DO some research on ballistics.

6. Bowser4x4

Bowser4x4 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My Judge has the hammer and I prefer it that way.... I guess that I am just old fashioned, but I like the hammer on it. And I bought the Judge to use for self defense..... it is a special case, but after looking at all of the weapons out there, it just made the most sense.... It is used for protection at a ocean front condo. With more and more of the area having drug related crime, I wanted something there that could stop a BG, but since there are 19 other units in our building, I needed to minimize the potential of over penetration.

While a lot of people question the ability of this for SD, after patterning 2,4, & #6 loads, I can say that I would not want to get hit with that #4. Plus at the distance inside the condo unit that I would be fireing, I am pretty confident in the weapon. Not saying the my 45 XD or 9mm Kahr wouldn't be a more effective weapon, but in this case, neccessity mandates a different choice. Plus that last cylinder has a 45 LC load in it.

Woof
    Bowser

7. GlockConvert

GlockConvert XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For sporting use, the abilty to cock the hammer will shorten trigger pull, and arguably make the gun easier to shoot well. FOr self defense, most folks, including me, don't recommending cocking a revolver (unless its a single action gun).

8. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0
    Hammered or Hammerless

Oops, sorry .
    I thought this was a drinking thread...

Looking to carry a Judge pistol?????????:confused:
    Think and reevaluate Sir..

There is plenty a pistol more suitable for carrying...

And don't forget your talking about a Taurus..
    You deserve better than that..........:mrgreen:

9. Chapie+

Chapie+ XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    If we were talking snubnose .38 specials to be carried in the front pocket, I would say hammerless so as to prevent snagging when drawing from said pocket. As we are talking a great big huge "Judge" than I would go with the hammer as you'll never get that thing out of a front pocket if you are ever able to get it into one. The judge is made to be carried in an outside the waistband holster.

Browser 4x4, do you like your judge? How is the quality?

Chapie+

10. Reno82

Reno82 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hammerless for ccw... just for in the car "Judge" go with the hammer.

11. Bowser4x4

Bowser4x4 XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    So far, the quality has been fine. Timing is right on, nothing is loose, no rattles and the recoil is manageble. And at short range, the #4 shot opens up...according to Taurus, this is due to the wad spining in the barell, but for what ever reason, it is a nice open pattern.

Overall, I really like the weapon: almost wishing I had kept it at home so I could shoot it more....

Woof
    Bowser

12. Farmboy1990

Farmboy1990 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok thus convoy is helpful but I can see most answers depend on lifestyle....as I am not a avid gun owner I just hunt and have never owned a handgun I have a few questions .....my wife is interested in getting a gun for her protection when I'm not around we have looked at multiple hand guns but because of her limitations with her eye sight we both agreed on a gun much like the judge..... so what would be best for her to carry in and out of her car/purse and around the house

13. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 1
    They're best in a field full of snakes with a #8 shot.

Too big to carry, expensive to shoot and Taurus reliability is sketchy.

14. RobbK

RobbK XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you actually hit on the one load the Judge is horrible with.
    Do to the rifling in the barrel it spins the bird shot out way to quick and unless you are right on top of the snake.
    A Judge poly pd is my EDC when I am not carrying my XD-9sc.
    As for weight the Judge poly is 23 oz empty the XD-9sc is 26oz.
    the best load I have found for it so far is the Hornady .410 triple defender.
    In the time the Judge has been on the market the ammo for it has jumped leaps and bounds above what it was shooting when the pistol was first released.
    Quality wise the Judges have been very reliable probably Tauruses best made revolver, their pt111 G2 has been great for reliability as well.
    Personally I like the idea of hitting my target with 3 or 4 projectiles with one trigger pull. There are folks that get the Judge and others that will always think it is a dumb revolver, to each their own, Just like how i hate on Glocks no one will ever get me to purchase one and I try to not push the Judge on folks that do not care for it.

15. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 1
    I like the idea of slamming home something with good penetration and expansion that's accurate.

A 9mm loaded with good modern defensive hollowpoints or a good small frame revolver in .38 or .357 would be my pick over a judge all damn day.

I love all sorts of wacky stuff, but a judge is something I'll likely never own. Damn sure won't go out of my way for.