Gunsmithing schools online

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by XDconcealer, Jan 21, 2009.

1. XDconcealer

XDconcealer XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys, I was interested in taking an online gunsmithing course and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with any of the courses offered,and if you think they are worth the money.

2. AegisGunsmith

AegisGunsmith XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If your not close to a NRA sanctioned school (I think there are four of them across the US, Oklahoma being the closest to me) and are looking to do online only, I would recommend Penn Foster's gunsmith program. Have heard a lot of good info from the people I have seen go through it, and the books and materials seem right on spec, from what I've seen.

Other than that, STAY away from people that promise you big things and are promised to be "associated" with big name gun brands. If you do a search you'll know what I am talking about. If it seems too good to be true, then it likely is.

Penn Foster is a pretty decent program, and they follow a lot of the NRA curriculum, (again from what I've seen).

Good luck to you and let us know if you head somewhere and give us an update.

3. SVThuh

SVThuh XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I've wanted to become a Sig certified armorer and a Glock certified armorer for a while now. Wouldn't mind becoming SA certified either.

I would be interested in checking out Penn Foster.. Might have to look into that. Anyone have any info on the brand certifying classes?

4. 76254

76254 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have found a gunsmith school (not online though) , close to u, in Pittsburg Pensylvainia. I've heard its a good school, i am gonna go there when i get older. The site is www.pagunsmith.com

5. Lazarus

Lazarus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Penn Foster uses old materials from what I've seen. I mean its probably accurate but there werent any modern firearms in there. I signed up for the course and stopped after just 2 sections. I recommend going to a real school because gunsmith is something that has to be learned hands on.

6. 76254

76254 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i agree with Lazarus

7. cooks128

cooks128 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    how do you obtain hands on gunsmith training online? Always asked this question when the at home education infomericals mentioned gunsmithing

8. DMWyatt

DMWyatt XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    From talking to smiths, it doesn't matter where the initial education comes from, 98% of your education is going to be hands on trial by fire. The other 2% is schooling and reading everything and anything you can about the trade. Gunsmithing's not like history or philosophy. Methods and technology change everyday, and there's rarely ever only one way to do something. What's going to work best for you really depends on what you intend to do with such an education. If you're looking to become a full time smith, looking into machine classes and an apprenticeship might be the best way to go. If you're looking to bolster your knowledge for your own benefit and have the money, why not go ahead and take the course? It's not going to hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AegisGunsmith

AegisGunsmith XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

I'm not sure what exactly "old materials" is by definition, but I can honestly say that in gunsmithing there is no such thing as outdated. This past month alone I've worked on two flintlock pistols, a percussion rifle, and fixed a stock on an old double barrel 16 gauge. So in my book outdated just is not something I see much of.

I agree one hundred percent with DMWyatt. Hands on experience is more crucial in the development of smithing that most anything. Penn Foster classes, or anywhere else that I can think of does not make you a gunsmith. It essentially gives you a working knowledge that will help develope your skills. In order to understand firearms today, I believe that a good working knowledge of the firearms of yesterday is a benefit. Just look at the 1911. By far one of the most beautiful and effective designs of a pistol. I'm sure even the "outdated" material at penn foster covers this design.

Most every smith I know works or has worked as a machinist at one point in his life. One of my good friends owns a machine shop, and is a gunsmith. He makes custom AR lowers in his shop for his employees. (not an easy feat i assure you)

If you are looking to learn to become an actual smith and not just a repair man, go with what DMWyatt says. Find a place with machine classes, or even a place that hires interns or offers training. Put in a few years on the lines, supplement them with learning the basics of smithing with a class such as penn foster or another college, and go from there.

Whatever you end up doing good luck to you.

10. DMWyatt

DMWyatt XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    http://www.taogart.org/

These are the guys I'm working with to set up my program. They have awesome networking, and they're working with me to find a mentor, which in NW Ohio isn't an easy thing to do.