Gun Show find! Marlin Model 99 M1 .22 Rifle

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by hobocircus, Mar 18, 2007.

1. hobocircus

hobocircus XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a tr
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I had to work on saturday so I took a trip to the gun show today to find a near mint Marlin Model 99 M1 .22 rifle. I saw it on a dealers table and I really thought it was some kind of special re-issue. Super clean with some tiny, tiny dings on the wood. $159 private sale :cool:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I asked the seller if this was some newly manufactured rifle from Marlin (yeah, it was that clean). He said it was a pre serial number rifle so it was probably made in the 60s. I couldn't believe someone didn't buy it on saturday and the dealer said that a lot of guys said they would be back for it later. Ha ha! I am glad I got it first! :p Features the early Marlin trademarks like the golden trigger and the bullseye in the stock. I had about half a dozen people ask to look at it and many more stares as I browsed the other tables.
    Overall another typical gun show. Ammo prices are very high and I don't see it coming down anytime soon (if ever). I would have liked to buy some bulk 7.62x39, .223 or 9mm but I just took home this budget minded plinker instead :)

2. Majk

Majk XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Beautiful little .22.

Great find. How does it shoot?

3. Fleetdog

Fleetdog XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have one just like that I enherited from my uncle Ron. It is in great shape also. Ron only had 2 guns that I know of and I don't think he really ever shot either one. The only real differences I see between our Marlins is that mine has a leather strap (which kept me from noticing the bullseye untill you pointed it out, very cool detail) and it has a small 4x scope on it (I would have prefered the rear sight but oh well). I've only had it to the range once so far, but it fired wonderfully.

4. StanMac

StanMac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice looking gun, good find!

5. oklawall

oklawall XDTalk 30K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0
    nice find

6. wmrawls

wmrawls XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That model was my first .22 (many years ago) one of my idiot brothers sold it off when I was in the Army. Great find on your part.

7. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0
    My brother has the same rifle. He put a Korean War issue M-1 Carbine sling on it and its a very good little shooter. Basically a Marlin Mod. 60 with a shorter magazine tube, made to look like the WWII M-1 Carbine.

Good find - those are not easy to come across!

- Brickboy240

8. CajunBass

CajunBass XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My ex-father in law had one of those, and I got it when he passed away. When my (ex) wife and I split up, it went back to her. I suppose one of my boys has it now.

Really nice little rifle.

9. hobocircus

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just tried to go out to my shooting area 6 miles south of where I live. I wanted to try out the new Marlin, just to test function. Signs posted everywhere, "Area closed, no shooting, no motorcycles, no vehicles" :(
    I knew it would happen someday, there is just too many people living nearby and too much trash was being dumped out in the desert. :mad:
    I'll have to go to the range when I get time or I have to drive 35 miles untill I reach the "freedom land" again :neutral:

10. The Fuzz

The Fuzz XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Congrats on the BEAUTIFUL find. That is one of the nicest Marlins from that time period that I've seen in a long while.

11. hobocircus

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Finally got out to shoot my Marlin M99 M1 .22 rifle yesterday.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Published specs on the rifle says it has a magazine capacity of 9, so I filled it with 9 and had feeding problems. I experimented with the round count and found that 8 rounds in the magazine made the rifle run perfectly. Overall I shot about 75 rounds without a problem and the rifle seems to be just breaking in after all these years. I really suspect that this rifle was put away and hardly shot at all by it's original owner. Seems the cobwebs slowly vanished the more I fired it. Trigger pull is nice and getting better. Groups were shooting to the left and soon I get the sights dialed in. I like this rifle alot 8)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I found a scope mount for my .22 Benjamin air rifle at Bass Pro Shops and had some fun with it. Got some blisters from air pumping and I realize a air rifle isn't very accurate through a smooth bore :eek: It was a good day out and it's starting to get hot in the Nevada desert. :mad:

12. mattcajin

mattcajin XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I just recently got a Marlin 99 M1 and I am having some issues. A guy acually payed me to take the gun because he wanted a subwoofer amp that i had so he gave me 20 bucks and the gun as payment for the amp.Well it didnt come with the magazine tube and im having a hard time trying to find one. i really cant find any thing on a length of it or a part # anywhere. i would apprieciate it if you could measure yours or help me on any leads in this treachory.
    Thanks, Matt

13. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 9
    Sweet, 6 year necropost addressing a member that hasn't been active for over a year. :D

GL with finding your answer though, Matt.

14. WIZZR

WIZZR XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also have one of those. mine does not have the rear sight. was gone when I got it. That rear sight alone is worth at least 75.00 dollars easy. you got a great deal on it. for more info on it try www.rimfirecentral.com wizzr

15. Super90

Super90 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Beautiful gun. You and mattcajin should go register on the marlinowners (.com) forum. There are sub forums for all the marlin guns and the model 60's (I have an early one with the original 3X scope) and 99's have a huge following. I love the M1 version, actually love them all. They are some of the most beautiful and reliable 22's ever made. I think mattcajin can find a magazine tube for his over there.