Groups getting better but need some help!

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by bub72ck, Feb 13, 2012.

1. bub72ck

bub72ck XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shot about 120 rounds today with the XD9. My groups are getting better but the widely scattered holes you see are from me trying to shoot with both eyes open. I'm going to search for some threads on how to do this later but if anybody has any quick tips please offer them. How do you look at the front sight and the target?

Anyway the photos...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    What distance?

3. bub72ck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    15 and 20 feet.

4. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    The groups really aren't that bad but low and left means you are slightly jerking or maybe tightening your fingers during the trigger pull.

5. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    As for shooting with both eyes open stick with one eye for now, are you focusing on the target or the front sight? You will also want to find which eye is your dominant eye.

6. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 3
    I would not worry about having both eyes open for now,

The front sight should be in focus and the target a slight blur. Concentrate more on the front sight.

7. bub72ck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right eye is my dominant eye.

I will focus on one eye for now. How will I make the transition?

@Ridge I am keeping the front sight in focus and the target is blurry. May sound like a dumb questions but how do I know exactly where I am aiming?

Thanks for the help guys!

8. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 3
    Not a dumb question at all. First you eye the target, then linet up your sights, then bring your focus to maximum clarity on your front sight. You're still seeing the target but it's not your main focus.

Really though, your groups look pretty good. If you can make a big hole in the middle like you did, you just need to stay focused on what's working when you do that. If you're like me, it's very easy to get excited and want to fire as many shots as you can. Try slowing down just enough to do the same thing every time :)

9. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 9
    Start out like you normally would, get your sight picture and then slowly open your non-dominant eye. You'll get used to how it looks after a while. I shoot with both eyes open almost exclusively, only exception is when shooting a rifle with iron sights or a traditional scope (red dot = two eyes open). It's second nature to me now.

10. bub72ck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks again for the tips. I will be working on slowly opening my left eye.

It is easy to get carried away when you start hitting your intended target. I'm focusing on slowing down and getting my breathing patterns in sync.

11. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 9
    Yup, don't set yourself up for failure by forgetting about the fundamentals. Slow down, breathe, focus on that front sight and maintain a steady grip while squeeeezing that trigger back. Master one thing before moving on to the next.

12. bonedog

bonedog XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I upgraded the sights on my 45 tact. "xs big dot" it has made a big improvement in fast target acquisition and grouping.I shoot both eyes open and from low ready position each shot.at 21 ft. the target is typically gutted although I group slightly low and left. with a six inch target I am wholly satisfied.

13. cuba

cuba XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After mastering the technique of using both eyes you need to start practicing instinctive shooting (point shooting), and move your gun to your chest plane area, it's the one technique that will save your life in case the sh-----t hits the fan,

Cuba

PS. By your targets I think your doing good

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  14. dcasandman

dcasandman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a newb and going through much the same issue you have. I have went to the range twice now with my XDM 45. First time with the stock sights which I really struggled with seeing at all. It took a long time for me to zero in on the front sight. I got through the day and at least kept most my shots in the trunk, but very inconsistent. That day before I left I got some Trijicon night sights and my focus problem was instantly gone. I'm not pushing anything but it was night and day difference for me. I went back next day and was very consistent. Not pro, but by the end of the day I was keeping nice groupings for as new as I am.

I also know if I take few breaths and run over my technique before every shot right now I do very well. I get excited though and shoot to quick without focusing at times.

The sights really really helped me with the two eyes open though.

15. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    One drawback to shooting with one eye closed is that it screws up your face and makes you squinty eyed. (At least it does to me!). That isn't optimum, but may be ok for some.

One tip to train your brain is to get a small round self adhesive dot and put it on your left eye glass so it covers your left pupil. You still get the peripheral vision, but the center focus is only the dominant right side.

The "right" way to focus is really up to you. I like to look at the target, raise the gun, then draw my focus to the front sight and concentrate on making the gap (left to right) equal and the tops level. There are lots of different methods, try several and see what you like.