Grip Gripes: Decals, Wraps, & Sleeves Problems

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by ThumperIII, Feb 7, 2009.

1. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]When I naturally grasp my XD45acp service pistol, my trigger finger tends to engage too deep onto the trigger for a best straight back pull. While I do try to practice proper grip technique, as a casual (non-competitive) shooter, I have neither the time nor money to expend thousands of rounds of ammo to retrain my brain to overcome a 50 year (plus some) reflex. Although I do reside in a pro gun household -- my wife has her own pistol, rifle, & shotgun -- if I attemped to walk around the house quick drawing and dry firing a pistol a couple hours a week, I'd be doing it sans wife and 50% of the property. The obvious alternative is to build out the palm swell of the grip so the gun comes to fit my natural grip. So, I have spent the past weeks scouring the internet sites of manufacturers and resellers of decals, stick-on adhesive backed wraps and sleeve grips. After wading through all the self praise and hype of these sites, I can only conclude that every grip modification is so wonderful that if the claimed shooting improvements were additive, by applying about 4 grip products one over top of the other, I'd have a self aligning pistol that shot single hole groups at 50 yards.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Since 50 reviews of "Good", "Excellent product" and "Perfect fit" don't tell me as much information as one specific, "I didn't like the xzx grip because it blah-blah in 200 rounds". AND because it's always more fun to vent, I'm asking all users of a grip modification product to tell me what you don't like about yours. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What you think is an isolated incident unique to you may well be a general design fault. Be polite, just because someone trashes your favorite grip doesn't make them an idiot because they disagree with you -- they may just be an idiot for other reasons -- their opinion still counts.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]To be fair, if you really have found the Perfect Grip, you can say something nice about your grip mod, but only after you shared something you didn't like. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I know that grips are cheap, but there are so many out there to try, and each of us only has so much time and ammo to test, I'd like to collect the combined experiences of all users in one informative thread.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Please include the grip model not just mfg. Also, is yours a compact or full grip pistol? Make & Model? What were you trying to change in choosing this particular grip mod? Did it succeed? Many thanks.[/FONT]

2. one_lost_one

one_lost_one XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i was having the same problem w/ my tactical. i wanted the grip to be larger and i wanted finger grooves. so i slipped a hogue grip(#17000) on and wrapped an Agrip around that. i absolutely love to hold this gun now. i had a few friends over checking it out. they also have xd's and one has an xdm. they plan on doing the same thing to their guns also. heres a pic.
    [​IMG]

3. ranburr

ranburr XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Gripreductions.com Dale can make your grip any shape or size that you want.

ranburr

4. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks for the input:

TO: one lost one: I think it may have been a earlier post of yours that started me on this collective thread idea. The combo sure looks good, and could provide the necessary size increase I want. And it's alterable later without damaging the grip. Perhaps the Hogue sleeve under the AGrip wrap provides enough insulation to prevent the adhesive of the Agrip from softening and slipping; where (as reported per a PM) AGrips, on two different pistols, started bunching at the front lap seam and shifting on the grip during sustained 200 rd firing sessions. Also the mfg's warning about cleaning solvents has me worried. Can anyone comment here?

TO: ranburr: That gripreductions.com process looks promising. If they can build out a solid spur, a grip should be no problem I'll have to contact them to see if they can buildup a grip to match a palm contour model (I would have to provide). Guess I'd just better make sure my grip model was accurate. Since I am not considering selling my XD, I have no problem with permanent changes.

Keep the ideas and opinions coming!

5. one_lost_one

one_lost_one XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    As far as the agrip sliding around, I've yet to see it. I had to stretch the agrip to get it to wrap around the hogue grip cleanly and I have no wrinkles or slack anywhere. I know its only been a week but it hasn't moved at all even w/ how tight I pulled it. I cleaned the grip really well w/ alcohol just to make sure the agrip adhesive wouldn't get contaminated. I hope you find something that suits your fancy. don't settle mediocre just to be satisfied. I'm not happy until its perfect.