Springfield XD Forum banner

Got to shoot a Desert Eagle today!

8K views 61 replies 23 participants last post by  DevJames 
#1 ·
So a buddy of mine just bought a Desert Eagle 50AE from a cop friend of his and wanted me to go to the range to shoot it. He's relatively new to shooting and wanted me to guide him a bit. I was happy to, especially since I've never fired a Desert Eagle before and had always wanted to. We took that gun, a Colt 38 Super Auto his dad gave him, and a Sig .22LR 1911 he has, my Gen4 G19 and my Springfield Loaded 1911.

We shot the Desert Eagle first, and boy let me tell you that thing is quite an experience! It shoots a 300 gr bullet and created one hell of blast to it! Recoil itself was substantial to me, but then again the only big bore stuff I've shot before was a .44Mag single action. It was fun as hell though! Definitely something we should all experience in our shooting careers!

Only downside was that the recoil from it caused me to develop a bad flinch that I couldn't shake the rest of the range session even though we shot other guns. Kinda frustrated me that I wasn't as accurate as normal. I was consistent but was very low and right (I'm lefty so it was due to flinch/bad trigger).

Afterward we came back to my place where I showed him how to take apart and clean his guns. He had fun and was very appreciative that I'd show him all this. Yet another shooting buddy I guess, and one with a hell of a fun gun :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Shooting that gun is definitely on "my list"... ;)

Reactions: AirForceAce357
#13 ·
I always save the big hand slappers for last. They bring on hand fatigue quick and will leave your hand spent after 20-50 rounds.
Agreed and that's normally my policy too but it was his gun and he was really eager to shoot it (and hell so was I) so I couldn't say no! Haha ;)

#18 ·
My DE serves no purpose but pure fun at the range.

Hey a question for you and for others here who actually own this gun: Is the slide supposed to lock back on the last round fired? Because my buddy's did not with either of the magazines we used (both of which were ProMags I think). Both of us are lefties too so we weren't riding the slide release either. He asked if that's normal and I don't know enough about the platform to give a definitive answer.

#16 ·
My buddy had a DE .50AE and another in .44 Mag. Another buddy had one in .357 Mag. The .50 was the "funnest" one to shoot, just for the concussion that came from it. The DE's are also pretty damn accurate too. Heavy and ugly in my book, but it was the early '90's and they were "THE" gun to have and shoot.
IMO, if you like the DE .50, you really need to try a S&W .460 or .500. I have a 5" .460 and it's one of the coolest guns to shoot that I've ever shot. With the .500 being a very close second. :)

#17 ·
Lucky you man! Always wanted to shoot one, I even came about a click away from ordering one once when they were still under a thousand bucks...just wasn't the right time though...I am confident that I will be able to shoot one, or get one some day. Thanks for sharing your range time and allowing me to live vicariously through you cause my tenants ruined my range time I planned for tomorrow!!! Malfunctioning water heater, or something...blech!!!!

#25 ·
Hey a question for you and for others here who actually own this gun: Is the slide supposed to lock back on the last round fired? Because my buddy's did not with either of the magazines we used (both of which were ProMags I think). Both of us are lefties too so we weren't riding the slide release either. He asked if that's normal and I don't know enough about the platform to give a definitive answer.
Mine locks back on the last round

#28 ·
Thanks! I'll let my buddy know. He has 4 mags but the 2 we used were ProMags so that may have been the problem. We'll have to try others.

#26 ·
That just makes me want a 92 again.

I actually dreamed I owned a 92 G last night. And that a lot of my guns were in a fire then frozen in a block of ice. Weird dream....
Weeny roast get out of control? :p:D

#27 ·
I've wanted one for a while just because. But these pictures of them wearing VZ grips are making me long for it. And cheap trade ins hitting the market don't help.

Mink, I've yet to shoot a Desert Eagle. Plenty of time with big bore revolvers though. If you intend to sit down and do a good bit of accuracy testing with the big boys, wear shooting gloves. It'll take its toll pretty quick and you'll find your hands get shaky which will ruin the day for genuine accuracy.

#33 ·
My first guess would be that it is mag related then.
I kinda thought so. Yea I've never been a fan of ProMags. We'll have to try the others and see if they work better. Thanks!

#34 ·
I jave an old DE .44 it locks back on last round. All my mags are orignal factory mags and the gun is older and made in Israel by IMI and imported by MR. Interesting gun fixed barrel and rotating bolt. Came close to selling it a number of times. Got a cool shoulder holster with their logo on it but need a new waste belt for it. I am not as skinny as I was I 1993.

#36 ·
Crossbreed belts are excellent as well. I've been using one for my CCW for awhile now and I love it!

#39 ·
I have never shot the 50AE Eagle but have shot a 44 mag one a few times.

Actually...the recoil on that heavy thing is tons less than my single action Super Blackhawk.

The DE is a huge, chunky gun that I have no use for or desire to own but in 44 or maybe 357 it is not all that punishing.

#40 ·
Agreed. If I were to ever get one (unlikely) it would be in .357 due to cheaper ammo and much better shootablility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.