Springfield XD Forum banner

Got the USP 9

3K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  AirForceAce357 
#1 ·
Picked it up today and hope to get some rounds through it tomorrow. This is my first used pistol purchase and it was a good one.

I consider it brand new since the guy only put about one magazine through it. $750 all said and done and I'm happy with it. It fits great in the hand and I like the more aggressive checkering on the front and back straps. The grip length is perfect for me and I might carry it more than I thought.

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft

See less See more
#12 ·
So far they're working well for me. IMO the grip on the USP 9 is more like a compact length grip. I don't have super large hands but the magazine base plate barely goes past my hand and honestly it feels very similar to holding a G19 Gen 4.

#13 ·
Dang, it looks brand new!

Nice score, great price, great gun.

You can put your own match trigger in, I put one in my USP 9 Compact. It was a PITA of a trigger job but it's doable and it makes a great improvement.

#15 ·
Yep, I'm glad I stumbled upon it on Armslist. It had actually been for sale a little over 2 months. It was waiting for me. I sold my P01 in one day and between that and a mountain bike part I sold it was the exact amount I needed.

I've seen a video on taking apart the frame and it looks like a punch is needed but it doesn't have to be hammered on to strip the frame. People say the hardest part is installing the TRS. I can get a cheap set of pliers, grind a notch in them and it's the tool HK sells to make installing the spring easier.

#14 ·
nice pickup! I shot a USP 45 Compact that belonged to a friend several years ago and it shot better than I did. I'm not a huge HK fan (not big on the costs of guns and mags, not big in to DA/SA guns, and find HK to be arrogant myself) but I think I may pick one of these up if a good opportunity presents itself.

#16 ·
Thanks! Well you're entitled to your opinion and you have your reasons like anything else. Everything about them is pricey but there's a lot to consider in that price.

For me I like the finish quality, the look and the fact that they use canon grade steel for there barrels even if I never push them to their limit. Overall though the USP works for me AND my wife. Sometimes that can help justify the price too.

#17 ·
We were able to shoot it today and it was an awesome experience yet again! Another great shooter even with the basic V1 trigger. If the DA was just a bit more linear I probably wouldn't change it at all. This gun is very easy to be accurate with and is soooo soft shooting. Overall it inspired confidence for me and was a lot of fun.

This also another gun my wife can operate. It's nothing for her to rack the slide and the recoil doesn't bother her. She was really accurate with it also as its just easy with the USP. Within her first 6 rounds three were in one hole the size a quarter. She's did great with her Sig also and she's improving.

I'm a true believer in the USP.

#19 ·
My cousin has that same pistol.

I cannot count how many times I have borrowed it and run many boxes through the thing. I also don't know why I still do not own one. After the W. German P226 and P228....I think it is the best d/s-s/a 9mm pistol out there.

Yes, it is a big gun but it is very accurate and the softest shooting 9mm out there. I also don't think the trigger is as terrible as many make it out to be. Yeah, it is not ready for the bulls-eye range at Camp Perry but if you are a decent shooter, you should have no problems hitting targets with the thing. The long sight radius is also a plus on shooting.

I have never measured the groups I shot with the borrowed USP9, but I can hit Coke cans with alarming regularity at many distances and made some decent groups on paper with it as well.

Someday...I will own one. Like the Hi-Power or the P228 SIG, they are just too good NOT to have one! LOL

Enjoy it....i think the full size USP9 is a great pistol. One of the best full size 9mm service pistols....bar none.

#23 ·
If I may--

I own both a VP9 and a USP9; if I had to get rid of one, it would be the VP, without hesitation.

This doesn't mean I think the VP is a bad, or necessarily lacking...I will have to admit, the grip fits my hand like few other pistols and the trigger is one of the best available in a striker. It's acceptably accurate, and it's reliable. It is, I guess I'm trying to say, a very good pistol.

But:

The USP is better.

While the grip doesn't feel quite as natural in the hand, it is a natural pointer; an extension of my fist. The trigger isn't the best DA/SA, but it's fairly smooth in DA, with a clean break with a little take up in SA. And it is accurate...golf-ball sized, entire magazine groups are not difficult at all. Additionally, the dual-stage recoil spring makes it an incredibly soft shooter. It's just a great all around pistol.

At least, that's my experience.

#28 ·
I posted this before but it's the best way I can explain the USP.

If you're in a gun store and you're handling a USP, a VP9, a P30, a mod 2 XD, and a PPQ, you likely won't pick the USP. The ergonomic guns will feel better and you'll like the triggers better (except the XD on the trigger).

If you were in a range and shooting them all you'd buy the USP. Hands down. Soft shooting, accuracy that will surprise you, and a trigger that is very shootable and predictable (you'll know right where the break is and be able to control it easily).

If you've not spent time shooting a USP, especially with the match trigger, they're very hard to appreciate. There's a reason the HK guys on HKPro are USP snobs.

#29 ·
My cousin has that same pistol.

I cannot count how many times I have borrowed it and run many boxes through the thing. I also don't know why I still do not own one. After the W. German P226 and P228....I think it is the best d/s-s/a 9mm pistol out there.

Yes, it is a big gun but it is very accurate and the softest shooting 9mm out there. I also don't think the trigger is as terrible as many make it out to be. Yeah, it is not ready for the bulls-eye range at Camp Perry but if you are a decent shooter, you should have no problems hitting targets with the thing. The long sight radius is also a plus on shooting.

I have never measured the groups I shot with the borrowed USP9, but I can hit Coke cans with alarming regularity at many distances and made some decent groups on paper with it as well.

Someday...I will own one. Like the Hi-Power or the P228 SIG, they are just too good NOT to have one! LOL

Enjoy it....i think the full size USP9 is a great pistol. One of the best full size 9mm service pistols....bar none.
You're right, it's a great general pistol to have and I can see why you like it so much. I carried it for the first time yesterday OWB and it was completely manageable. The weight and size was not an issue. It's not an EDC but still a nice option in cooler months.

It's a nice full size gun but it doesn't feel as big as it looks IMO. I like the grip a lot and to me it's grip length is closer to a compact and the overall height comes from the slide. I like the P226 for the same reason. I don't find the higher bore axis on either to be an issue. In fact both are some of the softest pistols I've shot even though my P226 is a 40. Like you said, both are great to have even if your only reason is, "just because."

#30 ·
If you ask me, the whole high bore axis thing is really overblown. I have never been bothered by the bore axis on my P228 or P225 versus my G19 or G17. Ditto for the bore axis on my P220 versus a 45 caliber 1911. Maybe if I was timing myself and in competition, it might affect me but otherwise...nah.

Ditto for the HK USP's trigger. Yeah, it is not a match trigger or like a 1911, but for defensive purposes, I don't think it is terrible. In the heat of defending yourself, i doubt you will notice. The two USPs that I have shot had triggers that were bone stock (I think both guns were Version 2) and I did not feel as if the triggers held me back. Yes, the VP-9 and newer HK-45 have better triggers but the USP is a defensive pistol, not something you'd take to Camp Perry. LOL

Enjoy your USP9. Someday I will have one or maybe the USP9 Compact.

#32 ·
If you ask me, the whole high bore axis thing is really overblown. I have never been bothered by the bore axis on my P228 or P225 versus my G19 or G17. Ditto for the bore axis on my P220 versus a 45 caliber 1911. Maybe if I was timing myself and in competition, it might affect me but otherwise...nah.
I think it is and isn't. Meaning, if one is used to shooting, say an M&P45 then go shoot the PPQ 45, which is a fantastic gun but I couldn't overcome my dislike for the fraction of an inch higher bore axis. It shot like my Sig 220 which I don't like shoot much either, but it's a sexy Sig 220 so it stays in my safe :)

#31 ·
My LGS has a brand new USP 9, same gun, for about $850 + tax...my discount :) Now, they also have a USPc in 45, used but in good shape. With this thread, I'm leaning to hard towards one, with the LEM trigger. I open carry HK45CT so much now, it's just a great freaking gun. HK just doesn't make many bad guns, if any at all. But agreed with others, it's a high price to pay for a polymer handgun. I may wait though until I finally get to test a P7 :)

Reactions: StreetFightingMan
#34 ·
The USP's are becoming my favorite gun as of late. It's funny how once you see a certain amount of love for a gun start floating around here, you start to get the itch.

If you go with the LEM you could still throw the match kit in it and have the hybrid ;). Apparently people love it and I'm curious about it myself. You have to love all the options available with one platform.

#35 ·
The high cost of the USP, along with the high cost of magazines is the thing that really keeps me away from them. I admit it.

You get spoiled with Glocks and their low cost, plus ease of finding cheap mags and all the accessories and holster choices.

#37 ·
Agreed on all points! I'd pick up a used USP if I could find it for a good price but I like the cheaper prices of guns, mags, and accessories that come from other designs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.