Got a Walther P22 for a gift, having trouble with assembly

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by S281, Dec 25, 2005.

1. S281

S281 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cool looking little 22. Cant wait to shoot it this week. IF anybody has one, I need help putting it back together. I field stripped it. But man that spring and guide rod are a pain in the ass to get back in.

Supposedly the little black rod goes into the spring up against the guide rod. Then you put that little black rod through the hole of the slide. And then as you put on the slide the guide rod seats and pusheds the little plastic black rod through and all is well. BUT>>>> my stupid effin little black rod will not fit through the hole in the slide. WTF??? I almost got it stuck in the slide its so tight. Anybody have any advice or another way to do it? I was thinking of just taking a dremel to the little plastic black rod and sanding some off so it fits through.

2. JesterXD40

JesterXD40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my dad and I had trouble. finally found a drift that fit inside the hole in the front to keep the spring straight till we got the guide rod all together.

they are a pita to reassemble

3. SonnyD

SonnyD XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, that's a fun one. I didn't keep mine very long, so I don't know if there is an easier way then just trying it till you get the rod to line up or not. It's almost like a balancing act, isn't it?

Regards Sonny

4. bluebomberx

bluebomberx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Push the guide rod through the front of the slide and grip it with your thumb and index finger. Put the slide back on the gun and pop the guide rod back in place.

5. chupacabrachus

chupacabrachus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I use the small front end of a wooden chopstick. Works great. However, it is tricky to get that thing back together from time to time. You'll get it though.

6. one-eyed-fatman

one-eyed-fatman XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    My friend has one of them things. After taking it apart and putting it back together we decided it wasn't meant to be taken apart. Hell my friend never cleans his guns anyway. Good thing he didn't buy the extra barrel. Still can't believe he paid 400.00 for it. He screwed himself on that gun deal. Of course I'm glad he bought it. It's a good shooter. He let me shoot it and damned if I didn't go out and buy a 9MM a few weeks later.

7. TomSwift

TomSwift XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1
    I have one of these and this is the best way, maybe the only way, to put it back together.
    Check out the Walther P-22 forum too.
    It's a decent little gun. Keep the barrel nut wrench with you when you go shooting. It tends to come loose. Although some people have trouble with different type of ammo, mine has been pretty reliable with just about everything I've put in it.

8. Jeff_1

Jeff_1 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also pt the rod and spring in the slide first and hold it from the front of the slide and then put it on the frame. only way IMO

9. baa

baa XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I put the rod and sping into the hole under the barrel mount and work the slide on to both the rod and the barrel. Once you get the nack, it's very easy, but it was a complete and utter PITA until I figured it out.

That said, I think I am up to around 800 rounds since the last cleaning. I hate cleaning .22s. I just put a couple drops of gun butter on the back rails and wipe the ramp off. Once I go through another 550 round brick of .22 ammo, I will break down and clean it.

10. S281

S281 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys, that tip works. Its not too bad to just grab the rod through the slide and put it back together. As long as my hands arent greasy, that makes for an annoying experience. I'm sure I will get the hang of it. Man, it really makes me appreciate the ease of take down of my XD 9.

11. panther308

panther308 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get a dowel that's alittle longer than that plastic rod and it will be fine, as far as the pistol it's a great little shooter!!! have had one for a couple of years

12. oldmantod

oldmantod XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought the 22 for my wife and I have used it much more than she has....

Be aware that it gets really dirty, really fast...

Good Luck,

T

13. TravisB21

TravisB21 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i took one of these p22's apart to clean...well theres this v shaped sping sorta thing with a hook on one end....i think it goes by the hammer somewere but im not exactly sure can someone help me out please!

14. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
  15. Bucc5207

Bucc5207 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    It's a cool gun, but wants some tinkering. Check out Walther - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Good people there - almost XDTalk quality, but not quite.