Good work boots for Auto Tech.

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by beitzel15, Aug 18, 2009.

1. beitzel15

beitzel15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to go look for some nice steel toe work boots today and would like to hear what some good brands are...

Im in college for Automotive Systems Technology and all I own is tennis shoes and I don't want to be in the shop without boots....

So, what are some good brands? the only brand I know of really is Redwing... I'd like to get a decent comfortable pair now that will last through school and onto when Im done and get a job at a shop.

2. Teksan80

Teksan80 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I wear Danner boots. I have had these for 3 years and they are as comfortable as the day I bought them. I worked outside for the first year in snow and mud and never had a problem. The last 2 years I have worked inside on concrete and still have no issue. The only thing I have done with them is replaced the laces with paracord and have added an insole to them. Pricy not quite as much as the redwings I looked at but for me personally they were much more comfortable.

3. beitzel15

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've looked at some Wolverine boots online for around $130 and they look good. Also, some timberland PRO series boots for around $100.

I'm just curious about this, because most of the guys in my class have the gold/tan colored boots... Is there a certain color that's prefered or something?

4. nateroach

nateroach XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have several pairs of CAT work boots that I have had good luck with. I have Steel toe, non steel toe, and EH (electrical hazard boots for work in substations) and all of them have been comfortable and hold up well. Really I think that preference will be alot of it. I have found that the CAT boots are comfortable for me, but my feet aren't too picky.

5. Buffman

Buffman XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had wolverine boots, and the last about a year then they are worthless to me. The sides like to stretch out, and not provide comfort abd support..

6. fett701

fett701 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The workboots i like the best are Redwing for work in the auto industry followed closely behind by Timberland Pro. Both boots lasted about the same amount of time about 2 years before they were worn out. They are not the most slip resistant or oil proof but work well. If money is an issue i would suggest shoes for crews. They are the most slip resistant shoes i have worn on the market. They also come in all different styles so you can probably find a style you like. The best part is they cost about half of the more popular names and last about 1.5 years. One last note do not buy the Snap On boots or shoes off of the tool truck. I did that twice and neither pair lasted more than a year.

7. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I'd stay away from steel toes myself. cold, uncomfortable, and that fear in the back of my mind that they might get bent if a car or truck were to roll over them.

I you feel you need steel toes, you probably need the arch plates too.

8. Gravel

Gravel XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I used good old Sears work boots for a long time. I finally decided to save up and get the Redwings, biggest waste of money ever!!!!

9. VDubbinMI

VDubbinMI XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love my Doc Martin Air Wair boots. Steel toe, slip resistant and shock resistant etc. Ive had the boots almost 6 years now, and they are still in pretty good shape. I've had to replace the insoles every now and then along with the laces but the leather is holding up just fine. Think I paid $115 back then, cant remember. Def. two thumbs up from me.

10. Tally XD

Tally XD XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Over the many years that I had been an ASE auto repair tech I have tried many different kinds of footwear. While there are many that are very good, comfortable, built well and are steel toe non-slip like you will need, not many will stand up to being soaked with gasoline, oil and transmission fluid. Transmission fluid is the worst punishment imaginable for leather boots.

No boot I ever found would withstand transmission fluid. They all became soaked with it and it will not come out. It will bleed through to your socks and feet and ruin the socks as well.

So, if your field of repair will put you in an environment where you will be repairing, servicing or flushing transmissions I recommend just buying the cheaper boots, such as the ones sold at Wal-Mart and plan to replace them about twice per year. Over all it is cheaper and will be more comfortable than wearing oil soaked boots.

11. beitzel15

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If something hits your foots heavy enough to bend that steel, what would it do to your foot if the steel wasn't there?

And i've never heard of a mechanic letting a car roll over his foot....could be wrong though.

12. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    they do have poly toes, that will bounce back and they meet ANSI standards.

I like timberland pro myself. I do lots of ladder work, i wear steel shanks no steel toe.

i just bought a new pair of wolverine durawelt something heel/arch. So far they are the most comfortable boots i have ever worn. I have only had them about a month so not much to report, i am rotating them with my other boots.

I also bought some rocky boots the same day i got the wolverine from sportsmensguide.com

i also have a pair of timberland pro with powerwelt rubberized govering. It held up like a champ for about 2 years when i was only rotating 2 boots, in the last 6 months its taken a turn for the worst with the looks of the rubberized leather, a bit of cracking, and the heel padding is loose on one foot.

this is the timberland i prefer.
    Timberland Pit Boss Soft Toe Brown

i have had that boot since 2004 and its held up great, it was the only boot i owned for about 2 years. It has a few cuts in in from god knows what, and a few wrinkles and drying in the toe area. If i put some mink oil on them, they look pretty darn great.

these have a ruberized coating, and no exposed tread stiches, so if you have to walk in the parking lot to a car, and step in puddles your feet wont get wet. Thats basically why i bought them, and the bottom half the leather is rubberized, supposed to fend off pretty thick sand paper, i think it wears down 80 grit. Something like that.
    Timberland Men's Powerwelt 6in WP Boot

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  13. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    it doesnt hurt to bad. I have had a few things run over my foot in my day, including a car on more than one occassion. Unless you park a car on your foot, and fall over, and no one is around to help you, its no big deal (no i never did that, that god, but thats the only way your really gonna get hurt with a car thats on the ground already)

Its more like a tool box tipping over on your foot. A car rolling over your foot doesnt really hurt. You likely will not even be bruised. Probably wont even feel it two minutes latter.

There is only around 1,000 lbs, or 1,200 lbs on each corner of a large sedan or midsive SUV. The tire takes some of that weight when it flexs and bows out. Its not like your dropping a 4,000 lb anvil on your foot.

14. matlt

matlt XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We all get issued these at work. I love them, they're comfortable, very durable, great traction. Couldn't ask for more. I get hydraulic fluid, oil, and jet fuel on them all the time and it doesn't affect anything. We have a choice of the zipper and non zipper models.

15. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Lehigh and Redwing is all i buy