Good Quality Tactical Folding Knife?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel' started by XD9SC71, Jan 25, 2011.

1. XD9SC71

XD9SC71 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am wanting a spring assist folding knife but I am unfamiliar with the brands. Can someone give me some quality brands too look at? One that holds a razor edge very well is probably my first priority. I am familiar with knives, just not the tactical style other than Gerber. Thanks.

2. deerslayer89

deerslayer89 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Benchmade 9050 and I absolutely love it. Had it for about 5 years, out on the ranch, at work, around the house and at the range. If you dont wear down the edge too much it sharpens right back up like a champ. Good luck finding one you like!

3. XDfense

XDfense XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a SOG Flash 1 that I like and carry daily b/c it's so light. I had to make some adjustments on it when I first got it b/c the blade had some wiggle to it. After tightening some screws and using it for a while, it's smooth as butter and very sharp. The Flash 2 is it's bigger brother.

If I had the money at the time, I would've gone with a Benchmade.

4. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Depends what you want to spend. If its around 100 get a Zero tolerance. s30v steel very strong lock up.

Benchmade and emerson are great as well. But ZT is the best bang for the buck.

If you want to spend alot there are many other brands like strider knives. Chris reeves etc.

the ones i listed are also much better in quality than sog or gerber.

5. matlt

matlt XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not exactly sure what you mean by tactical. Thats a word that is just as pointless in the knife world as it is in the gun world, and has no meaning at all. The only thing I would ever require of a "tactical" knife is one handed opening and closing. My benchmade griptilian is 3 years old, was $60, sees a ridiculous amount of abuse and still locks up tight and going strong.

6. bowl443

bowl443 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    What about the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Black-Folding-Knife/dp/B0009VCA0I"]Kershaw Blur[/ame]?

7. XD9SC71

XD9SC71 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea, I know what you mean. Wasn't sure what terminology I needed to use to let you know what I was looking for. Basically a good quality assistid opening knife that clips to your pocket for general use as well as a defense back up. I haven't ever cared much for the "Tactical" looks, but all I have seen like what I am looking for look like that.

8. XD9SC71

XD9SC71 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Blur doesn't look too bad.

9. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  10. matlt

matlt XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Benchmade also has many assisted knives

11. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the money I'd go with a Blur. If you have more to spend a ZT Ken Onion design would be killer too. He designed the Blur as well.

It all depends on the size you want and how much you want to spend.

12. theg33k

theg33k XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a kershaw spec bump for my EDC. It's the best knife I've ever owned and I recommend it to anyone looking for a good quality blade to carry.

13. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BSZDN0/"]This one[/ame] is nice.... (and affordable.) The little nubs on the blade catch on your pants pocket and you can snap it open one handed on the draw.

(Look for YouTube video on Ti-Lite and you'll see what I mean about the snap draw.) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ii12pbeag"]YouTube video[/ame]

[​IMG]

14. TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Give yourself a price-range - otherwise, this can get out-of-hand, really fast. :) If your budget goes north of the $300 mark, though, you can even potentially land some custom-made assisted-opening knives.

Also, if you want an assisted-opener, be sure you've considered the legalities of this issue. If your seeking an assisted-opening knife is due to concerns of presentation speed, know that much of this can be addressed by focusing on your deployment techniques.

If legalities are either not a worry or a concern, then, in no particular order, though, Kershaw, SOG, Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, CRKT, Buck, and Gerber all make folders which incorporate such features. If you expand your definition of "assisted" to flippers/paddles which help you swing the blade into deployment/lock, that window further opens, and your list will grow longer.

Also, as Electrikkoolaid's mention of the Ti-Lite demonstrates, there are folders whose design allows for them to open by snagging on one's pants (or shirt) pocket during the draw (Emerson's "Waved" folders are the most famous, for this, and many modifications of non-"Waved" folders - Spydercos are popular, due to their inherent quality and a good price-point - attempt to emulate this feature of his). Note, though, that with this kind of opening, you *will* be placing extra wear on whatever area of your clothes which you use to effect the technique.

Like matlt and others have mentioned, though, the term "tactical" is somewhat of a misnomer - if you're going for specific aesthetics, one thing you'll want to remember is that in times like ours, in many more metropolitan areas, anything that appears "scary" to the Sheeple will attract un-necessary attention your way - so a big, beefy "tactical" folder like a Strider AR or GB might actually be most counterproductive, in your trying to tactically remain under-the-radar to potential threats, when you pull the thing out of your pocket to open a package, at the Post Office. ;) As with matlt, I would instead encourage you to look more specifically at the design of the knife in terms of its grip material, lock design/strength, clip position and profile in-pocket, as well as its blade design, per your desired performance attributes, to see if it fits your needs.

Finally, as for maintaining that razor edge, that's all up to you - the different steels will each have different attributes, but the one common denominator is how the end user chooses to care for or neglect the knife. Find a sharpening method/system you are comfortable with and will actually practice routinely, and that will help you keep your edge sharp. :)

15. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The problem I see with koolaids post is that thing would be illegal to carry in most states if not all.