Going Hog Hunting, What ammo would be best for my rifle?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by XDMulisha, Oct 21, 2011.

1. XDMulisha

XDMulisha XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hey guys, I am trying to get some wild boar hunting in and am curious which ammo would best suit my needs with the rifle I am going to use. I will be using my Colt LE6940 (5.56) and as many of you know it is a 16.1" barrel with a 1/7" RHT. I have a PWS FSC556 Compensator/Flash Supressor on there as well but I don't think that matters at all. Okay right now I have Federal 62gr. Steel Core Penetrators and I also have some 62gr. Fusion Soft Point rounds for hunting. My question is out of those two which would do more damage? The Soft-Point Hunting round or the Steel Core Penetrators, I have never been hog hunting before so I don't know what their skin is like. Is it real tough and hard to get through (Penetrator rounds) or are they fleshy and easy to get to the vitals, then use the sp's. Or do I go out and buy some heavier stuff like 77gr. Hunting rounds. I am just not familiar with how easy or not it is to take one down using the 5.56 round. My uncle says I will be fine and people drop them all the time using the 5.56. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys...

2. XDmct

XDmct XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Stick with what you have it sighted in with.

3. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. Clinton1621

Clinton1621 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Buy a Mosin Nagant... that will work LOL!

Seriously though, 5.56 should work as long your shot placement is good, you dont want one of those things pissed off at you!

5. Fdxpilot

Fdxpilot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. agould27

agould27 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Remington Corelokt is supposed to be great large game rd for the AR's. Barnes triple shok too.

7. Medic738

Medic738 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Use the steel core!! The soft spot will only piss it off if you hit it in the shoulder! Shoot it till it does not move and unless you have a .45 on your side give it time to die!!! They are mean nasty beasts!! Kill em all they are also horrible pests!

8. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

don't hit him in the shoulder. hit him behind the ear.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bvbuleLGxI]Hog Hunt With Airgun - GAMO Hunter Extreme .25 caliber - YouTube[/ame]

9. XDMulisha

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I never really sighted it in, it was just dead on out of the box... Well for an EOTech and Iron Sights. I don't have any really nice Glass. But I have used 55gr. once, and 62gr. the rest of the time. It seems to like the 62 gr. the best. So I will go with that or higher.

Haha, That would definitely be a rush man. I might try that eventually, but until I really know the nature of the beast I will use a high powered rifle (Colt LE6940), and a sidearm to make sure (XDM .40). You are right, It would be a fair fight though, Tusks vs Knife. I will be careful, thanks brother. And thanks for the link I will check that out.

I actually have a Mosin Nagant M91/30 and It has aftermarket montecarlo stock I painted OD Green. Also a Belarus scope, a Bipod I found in the trash at a range that is fine, lol was just missing a screw that I replaced lol. It works pretty good. I will definitely work on my shots before I go, I don't want a pissed off hog charging me. I will carry my Pistol and my KBAR just in case.

I checked this ammo out, I like the look of it man, I will have to try some of that, I like the heavier stuff. Thanks for the help!

Yea I heard Corelokt was pretty good, and I have seen what Barnes Triple Shock can do. Powerful stuff. Thanks for the info brother.

Yea my uncle said I should stick to the steel core ammo, that it would be the best with the right shot. I have an XDM .40, I figure that 200 gr. Nosler .40S&W rounds from Double Tap Ammo will do good for a back up. I got to purchase some of those bad boys. Some serious .40 lead lol. Thanks man. have a good one.

10. Fdxpilot

Fdxpilot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  11. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 1
    I couldn't get pilots link to work but only thing I'd ad are don't try to face off and shoto them when their snout is looking at you in the head, skull makes a ramp to bounce bullets off. (if your in a tree and its looking down you can do it but if your looking at him and he at you it will bounce)

I've seen a 22-250 ricochet off the forehead and others have had that happen with 223.

My suggestion at least a 10rd mag. I've seen some people do some dumb crap (like shooting a 600 lb one in the rear hip) and you might just need the extra ammo. And if a group of piglets are very tasty and the ideal thing to shoot, the ar is perfet for them shoot all you can.

I think both rounds you listed where less then ideal but I'd probably go penetrator but both should work sub 400 lbs. I'd go 72 grains or heavier with some sort of solid bullet

12. Gnarlet

Gnarlet XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yup, this is what I do. Drops them every time, as long as I do my part. I also successfully hit one through the eye that was about 30 yards away, that wouldn't turn broadside.

13. Bonehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

NICE!

14. XDMulisha

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  15. Bonehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

yup. behind the ear is like the OFF button. if an airgun can do it a 5.56 can.