Springfield XD Forum banner

Glocks melting...

5K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  yellowlt4 
#1 ·
I was reading on another forum and the OP said he lives in Arizona and he will be changing his CC firearm because it was getting hot out and leaving his Glock in the hot car would cause it to gets soft.
I think I need to throw the BS flag on this.
What say you Glock or any other polymer owners that live in high temp. areas???

#12 ·
I'm thinking that the naysayers that dismiss this as nonsense have never been in central AZ during the summer. Glock frames (magwells) are pretty thin and flimsy to start w... cook one @ 165° (in the dark, sun, doesn’t matter. Heat is heat) and tell me again it's baloney.

Thermo-plastic is designed to be pliable when heated. It's not a huge leap to believe that it would become, well... pliable when heated.

#14 ·
its complete bullshit. dont worry about it.

#16 ·
I sent an inquiry note to Springfield and all I received was a generic response that was probably written by a lawyer...

Thank you for contacting SA.

Environmental factors could possibly damage any firearm pending on the conditions, carelessness and negligence of the firearm owner.

#17 ·
Plastics in cars don't melt in the heat. Dashboards, gear shifters, door panels, floor mats etc. Even in the Arizona deserts car interiors aren't being liquified by the sun. Guns will be just fine.

Reactions: Cyanide
#18 ·
exactly this. the plastics in your car's interior are garbage in comparison to those used on a firearm. if your interior doesn't drip onto your legs when you get into the car on a hot august day, you're safe to leave your gun in there.

#21 ·
10 years in Az including competitions in summer when gun in holster was friggin hot to draw. I wave bs flag on soft Glocks or any other polymer guns. As others have noted plastics in cars don't melt, and that stuff is inferior to polymers.

Reactions: GojuBrian
#23 ·
Don't know about a Glock, but when I leave my coffee in the car in the AM, it's still hot in the PM. :rock:

#29 ·
exactly this. the plastics in your car's interior are garbage in comparison to those used on a firearm. if your interior doesn't drip onto your legs when you get into the car on a hot august day, you're safe to leave your gun in there.
Heat can wreak havoc on your tires
My dad has pictures of his pacer in the 70's with the dashboard bubbled from sitting in the Arizona sun. It can happen to tires, interior and anything inside the car.

Not buying the flimsy glock, but I have seen the FN video referred to earlier. There is no doubt that gun was plyable after sitting in the sun.

#30 ·
This is rather silly but it's why we love the Internet. And to the FN that was very soft, it was confirmed by FN to be a production issue and the gun was replaced and problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.