Springfield XD Forum banner

Glocks Failing

3K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Bamaxd9 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I Do Not Believe This...period...

until I see a qualified Gunsmith or Representative from GLOCK's Engineers verify this, I am playing my Bullshit Card

#3 ·
Yeah, this has been out for a while. I find it suspect that he finds all these problems and then gets about double the replacement cost from the city council for it, rather than having Glock just fix them....

More likely just a play for money and/or an excuse to get something else. Much like the PSP's G21 "problems".

#4 ·
Yeah, I call BS. I liked his comment of "“What people don't understand is police weapons take a lot of abuse,” said Cpt. Roby".

Yeah, lots of abuse. Some of the LE trade in guns I've seen may display holster wear, but the internals usually look very good.

Me thinks the chief wanted new ones on the council's dime.

#5 ·
Bardstown Police replacing guns after dangerous defects found - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Small department, but high percentage of duty weapons with cracks. All about 15 years of service and all .40 caliber.

"Hairline fractures appeared on 12 guns, which were immediately taken out of commission. That's nearly half of the weapons of the 27-man department and Captain Tom Roby says it's a serious concern."

kypix
I'm not a glock guy but in their defense.... 15 y o, small town dept, not a lot of crime so alot of range time equals a s*** load of hot hot ammo n guns being fired to make the officer's days go bye. If I were them, I'd be at the range spitting 5000 rnds a day (tax payers gift) that's a lot of rnds being put through them there shooters

#7 ·
Probably all one order actually. Its possible, but more likely they got a batch of overly hot ammo that they used to shoot for years and it wore crap down.

Should switch to a g17/34 anyways its a better gun.

#11 ·
I'm not a glock guy but in their defense.... 15 y o, small town dept, not a lot of crime so alot of range time equals a s*** load of hot hot ammo n guns being fired to make the officer's days go bye. If I were them, I'd be at the range spitting 5000 rnds a day (tax payers gift) that's a lot of rnds being put through them there shooters
Doubtful at best. Most small towns have tight budgets, and of course it depends on the town, tax base, etc. Many small departments don't have a surplus of range ammo. I have heard of several where they just have enough for the officers to qualify. That's it.

I can't remember where it happened, but a department had gotten so low on ammo they were calling on the public to either sell or loan (??) them ammo until their shipment arrived. That would suck.

I like your idea, though. The thought of having 5,000 rounds to go shoot for the heck of it sounds like a plan!

#18 ·
At my brothers first department, the officers supplied their own training ammo. He carried a .357Sig so he had to supply all of his. Duty and training.

Sent from my phone using pixie dust and magic unicorn farts.

#12 ·
Idk if it's true or not but they need new ones regardless. I understand firearms can and should last a lifetime but police should be getting new ones every 10 years max. That's just my opinion as someone who works in emergency response. All of our gear had limits on how long it can remain in service. I don't doubt this is a ploy to get new equipment.

#14 ·

until I see a qualified Gunsmith or Representative from GLOCK's Engineers verify this, I am playing my Bullshit Card
Yep, probably just like the Portland PD G21 b.s. of a few years back. I doubt if anybody in Kentucky is competent to diagnose a problem with a Glock.

#15 ·
A few years ago the Indiana State Police got an entire batch of Glocks that were as one trooper described them, junk. Failures to fire, brass to the face, brass to the top of the head, jams, etc. I posted that on a gun forum was immediately called a liar and was nearly ran out of the gun owners fraternity. Since then I have come to the conclusion that Glocks do not have any problems and they are in fact "Perfection". I have also come to the conclusion that many Glock owners are a little on the sensitive side.

#16 ·
one or two pistols with the issues described in the article...I believe...an entire department having the exact same problem, at the exact same time, on the exact same platform is pretty ridiculous and flatly unbelievable

#19 ·

So, you are saying mass produced items can't have defects? You also will not likely receive a straight story from GLOCK peeps either - their PR dept wouldn't have it because it might hurt sales.

Perhaps we'll never know the full truth - so, we'll have to simply deal with equally unqualified conspiracies - oh, the American way.

#20 ·
one or two pistols with the issues described in the article...I believe...an entire department having the exact same problem, at the exact same time, on the exact same platform is pretty ridiculous and flatly unbelievable

#23 ·
12 Guns...all showing the same problem...at the same time...is plausible? o_O
More importantly, it is more likely than a Department trying to get replacements from a reluctant City Council Budget Committee? o_Oo_O

#24 ·
user error.

#27 ·
so now a smalltown PD uses their .40 more than guys who shoot USPSA or IDPA?:rolleyes:

the running gag has always been : Shoot Twice per year...become a Cop! :lol:

#30 ·
It is that crappy 40cal to blame...:shock:
That and 15 year old sidearms..:roll:

9mm or 357sig for my Glocks, with a 45ACP G21 for good measure...:mrgreen:

I concur.
If I could only own 1 or 2 Glocks, it would be my Gen 2 G17 first, and Gen 2 G19 second...
A G21 is on my short list [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 ·
I don't know, but maybe... maybe, one guy discovered a crack and as they looked across their guns, they noticed it in others as well. I agree it is unrealistic to believe they all broke at the same time. However, it is realistic to believe that they all developed over time and when one person notice his, everyone else looked and discovered problems as well.

This does not discount that they also probably want (and need) new firearms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.