Glock or FNX

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by birda40, Oct 29, 2011.

1. birda40

birda40 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Morning Guys n Girls,
    I am looking to add to my collection, but thought I would ask a few of you about your experiences with Glocks and FNX 40 SW. Gonna look for a range around here to rent them first , I know they're both good and reliable , but FN has the eye candy. Both 40 cal. at this point.

Thanks ahead

2. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    Haven't shot an FNX, but I've shot an FNP...it's a good handgun, but I'm really not that big of a fan of DA/SA pistols anymore.

Spend a little trigger time with both of 'em and get what works best for you would be my advice.

3. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Apples and oranges. I'm a DA/SA kinda guy and love my FNP40, I carry it all the time. Not a huge fan of Glocks. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, they obviously get the job done, I just don't like the way they feel. I don't need to do anything to my FNP40 to get the trigger or gun functioning the way I want to.

4. gischileu

gischileu XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've had a Glock 21C for a long time - it's an utterly reliable, if ugly, handgun.

5. Xd9ccsd

Xd9ccsd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've owned a gen 4 g19 and a gen 4 g17. The 19 was nice, couldn't stand the hump...tried the 17. It was excellent...shot extremely well...when it would shoot. I just had alot of trouble out of the recoil spring which is extremely common on the first gen4 9mms.

The FNX...I have no experience with the .40. I owned an FNP, and my partner currently carries his FNX9 on duty. It shoots extremely well. It does have a high bore axis, but isn't unmanageable. Decent sights. Nice SA trigger. Normal DA. I DO NOT LIKE THIS GUN though. The reason why, is that it just has too much going on for my liking. I'm a lefty, so ambi is nice...ambi mag release, ambi slide lock, ambi safety/decocker...there is just too much crap going on on this gun for my liking. The decocker/safety is too dang big for me. I'll either decock it due to recoil, or I can't unsafe the gun cause the lever hits the knuckle of my trigger finger...cool gun with a cool idea...but there is just too much.

And the back strap system sucks. Its a little junky plastic pin thing...his broke within 1000 rounds. He had to choose the backstrap he liked and glue it on.

My advice...if you must get one, either get a gen3 glock, or get an FNP.

6. mattwestm

mattwestm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I owned a FNP-45 for about six months. I really liked the gun when I got it, but the longer I had it, the less I liked it. First of all, it's somewhat difficult to find holsters and magazines for it. I believe the 9mm and .40 mags are more available, but are still more expensive than Glock mags. I believe I paid over $50 for FNP-45 mags.

The grip texture really hurt my hand at the 50rnd mark. The 9mm and 40 might be a bit better because of the smaller grip width. I was also having constant jamming problems. The nose of the round always seemed to get stuck on the top of the chamber. After about 500 rounds through it, it didn't get any better.

The quality of the gun wasn't bad, but it definitely was not up to Glock and XD standards. The plastic frame felt incredibly thin compared to Glock and XDs. The FN handguns also use MIM parts.

I wanted to send the gun in for service, but FNUSA said that it would take about two months to get it back. Apparently their service used to be better, but due to budget cuts, the main service manager was asked to leave.

I used to like DA/SA guns, but I'm really not a fan of them anymore.

I'd highly suggest getting a Glock or something else besides an FNX/FNP. I know anyone can have a bad experience with a handgun, but it's essential to have a local smith or a good CS center who can work on it.

7. YoopermikeXDM

YoopermikeXDM XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 1
    Im a sucker for an exposed hammer. I vote fnx!

8. birda40

birda40 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, got some horror stories here ! Research and testing here I come :)

9. mixednuts

mixednuts XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Between the two I would choose the Glock. I know many like the FNX but there are a few things about it that I have issues with. The grip texturing is very rough and chews up your hand. Maybe I have a problem with using too strong of a grip but after 100 rounds you can definitely tell. Besides the texturing, the grip itself just felt off to me. I am built like a bear and have paws to match so that may have something to do with it. Honestly though, the biggest issue is availability of parts and accessories. This is one area where the Glock has a pretty overwhelming advantage, but then again, Glock has this advantage over pretty much every other semi with the exception of the 1911. Finally, the FNX just felt a little cheap. I don't know how else to describe it but when I hold my Glock, XDm, or even the M&P my mother sold, they feel like they are well built and will last. I'm sure the FNX isn't junk but it didn't have the same feeling of quality, at least not the quality you would expect of a $500 pistol. Then again, this is just my opinion and is worth about as much as you paid for it.

10. mattwestm

mattwestm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely my two biggest gripes with the FNP-45. It was a nice pistol, but I'm glad I traded it for a G30SF.

11. Jedi XD

Jedi XD XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I own and love my G19 and I've only fondled an FNP45 and it felt really comfortable for as big as it looked.

12. mkett39

mkett39 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    had a glock once but just did not like. Between the FNP and FNX the "P" is a better one in my opinion. I have a hard time with the big ass front sight on the fnx (combat style) just can't hit good with it.
    FN's 100% American made!

13. daveugber

daveugber XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I FINALLY got my FNX-40 out to the range...put about 200 rounds through it...i functioned flawlessly firing winchester, tulammo and federal...both 165 and 180 grain...it's terribly accurate for me, and has no magazine or back strap issues...TOTALLY satisfied...

Attached Files:

14. ghost--scout

ghost--scout XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Welcome to the forum, glad you're satisfied with your pistol!

15. aaron1984

aaron1984 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Its tough to beat a glock, the main reason I chose the XDm compact over the glock offering was the grip angle of the glock threw me off when it came to instinctive shooting because I am so used to the 1911 grip angle...