Glock 26/27 VS XDs AND Lasermax Guide Rod Laser

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Facilitator, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Facilitator

Facilitator XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the XDM 9mm and love it! It's a smooth-shooting gun with little recoil and was recommended to me by a good friend who is also a police officer and let me shoot his. I added the Lasermax Guide Rod Laser and wow, is it now a sweet package.

There are a few threads here comparing Glock 26/27 vs XDs for CCW. The same officer recommends the Glock 26 Gen 4 and I'll own one soon. There are a couple of reasons for my choice, but a deciding factor is that Lasermax makes a guide rod laser for the G26/27 and they do not yet have one for the sub-compact XD/XDM models.

There are other threads discussing the Lasermax GRLs and some people report problems. I've only shot about 250 rounds since I installed it in my XDM9 but so far no problems. Many of the issues I'm reading seem to stem from improper installation - you have to get things lined up just right.

BTW - Lasermax currently has a $60 rebate on their GRLs. I've already purchased the GRL in advance of the G26! :)

2. TakeM406

TakeM406 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love my 27 gen 3. I looked at the XDS but I like higher capacity.

I was going to get a 26 G4 but found a used 27 with night sights for $450.

Then I can always convert to 9 later, but I already set up for 40.

I was worried that the 40 would be hard to hold on to. Really it shoots no different than my 4.5 XDM.

I'm really happy with my first Glock and plan to buy a few more in my dreamy future.

The trigger is amazing too! Reset is perfect!

Pretty accurate too! Shot some great groups!

Not sure on the Lasermax. I got a Lasergaurd because I figure a laser that isn't instinctively activated is pointless. I came to this after my training class this summer. The laser isn't a save all but doing retention is a big help!

Sent from my layout blind

Attached Files:

3. Brownie65

Brownie65 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I bet that grip makes your 27 easy to find on the nightstand. I went with a black sleeve since I sleep with he lights on ;-)

———You can't always get what you want, but if you try you get what you need.

4. TakeM406

TakeM406 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Totally lol! Actually it doesn't glow much at all. Just love the color!

Sent from my layout blind

5. Facilitator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Been thinking today..... might get the 27 Gen 4 and the conversion barrel - 2 guns in one! The Guide Rod Laser is the same. Only have to get a couple of 9mm magazines.

6. Joezilla

Joezilla XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, just how difficult is the Lasermax to install? How do you activate it?

Joe

7. Facilitator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Joe,
    If you go to the Lasermax website you can download the installaton guides. Installation on the Glock 26 involves the replacement of the guide rod/springassembly with the laser/spring assembly (obviously) and the replacement of the slide lock/spring. The slide lock becomes the laser on/off switch.

I am working with Lasermax on an issue. When Glock introduced their Gen 4 they had a bit larger guide rod hole in the slide so Lasermax built their GRLs to fit. Then Glock reverted to the smaller guide role hole (Gen 3 size). The GRL I purchased for Gen 4 will not fit through the guide rod hole in the slide Lasermax is replacing a retention clip on the front of the laser to remedy this - but I'm without the laser while this happens.

I own a LaserMax GRL for my XDM9 and found that wathing installation videos on YouTube was VERY helpful. :cool:

8. Joezilla

Joezilla XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to the LaserMax site and found that the Gen 3 and Gen 4 lasers are not interchangeable. Perhaps they are now?

Joe