Glock 21 Sf

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Frenchy, May 29, 2008.

1. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I finally picked up my 21 yesterday from my dealer, and have had a little time to familiarize myself with it.
    Over all fit and finish is excellent. I noticed right off that the slide seemed a little glossier that my 2nd. generation G-19. It has the ambi-mag release, and the 1913 Picatinny rail. I had Trijicon nightsights installed, and also purchased 2 additional mags.
    The SF (short frame) is indeed smaller in circumference the the original 21, and the reduced "hump" is quite noticeable. the feel in this respect is similar to the XD-45, albeit a bit blockier. One of my main gripes in the past with Glock, was the grip angle not being as natural as I would like. The SF has cured that problem, for me anyway.
    I shot it this morning to get a feel for the gun.
    The standard trigger pull of 5.5 was comfortable for me, and the short reset is a plus. My perception of felt recoil and muzzle rise seemed less that my XD. Re-acquisition of sight picture was quick and consistent. Another plus was that there was absolutely no movement of the gun in my hand but I'm sure that the finger grooves had a lot to do with that.
    I fired 26 rounds with no malfunctions and was shooting my favorite load of 200gr. SWC's. This bullet profile would not work at all in the XD, and was one of the reasons I sold the gun.
    All in all, I'm very satisfied with this pistol. A few 100 rounds will give me an idea of reliability, but then again...It's a Glock.

P.S. Thanks, Ed...;)

Pics...
    VillagePhotos-Free photo hosting, free image hosting, picture upload, free picture hosting, eBay selling tools, listing management, picture hosting and image management.

2. Ed Ely

Ed Ely Super Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    Glad the USPS was on time.

Congrats on the new machine.

Ed

3. LUVMYSIGP225

LUVMYSIGP225 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    I have really been eyeballing the 21SF very hard. Ever since its release. Can't wait to get a range report from you.

It is on my very short want list for this year.

Congrats on overcoming the Glock stigma. I am sure you will love it.

4. XD_from_LBC

XD_from_LBC XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats!

The G21SF is my absolute favorite. I put another 200 rounds thru her last night. Of all my pistols I shoot the 21 the best. I think it is because I can get a full grip on it. After starting with a G26 and getting progressively bigger I have found my match.

I have the non ambi mag release, Glock rail, CA ok version.

5. mvician

mvician XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0
    My 21SF is one of my favorites also. :grin: I have the same version, aMBi with the picatinny rail. I put Ameriglo "smooth slope" night sights on mine.

6. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    Glocks are hard to beat for reliability. My 1994 Glock 22 is still 100% trouble free. So was my old G17 that I sold after 8 years of no troubles. I still wish I did not sell it.

If you want to make the trigger better, try a Ghost trigger. They're not expensive and man....you will learn to love the Glock trigger with one of those!

I put a Ghost 3.5 pounder in my old G17 and curently have a 4.5 pound Ghost triger in the G22. Love them both.

- brickboy240

7. nikon777

nikon777 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0
    pretty sweet. How is shooting those double charged lead wad cutters working out for you?

:mrgreen:

I want one too. 2Too bad 45 ammo is sky high. Ill probably put one in layaway at some point.

8. UncleBuck

UncleBuck XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    +1 I bought the Glock 3.5 lb trigger and have it in my 21 and 30.

9. UncleBuck

Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Frenchy. Excellent choice. I finally was able to handle a 30SF at a recent gun show and it felt good. I compared it with a regular 21 sitting next to it and there is a notable difference. You are right in the fact that the profile of the grip is much closer to the XD45 and should pick up the crowd that says that the regular 21/30/29 are too big. Your glock should give you many many years of excellent performance as mine have.

10. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    You are aware that the grip on all Glocks can be re-shaped...right?

I am currently having my 2nd gen G22 re-countoured to have the "hump" taken out of the backstrap, so it points like a 1911. A local guy does this and does GREAT work and it runs about 100 bucks or so.

GripReductions.com

They can even take out those annoying finger grooves. Both of my Glocks are 2nd generations...I cannot stand finger grooves on ANY of my pistols.

Hold a re-contoured Glock in your hand...you'll have it done the next day...seriously. I could not beleive how nice the G22 and G17 felt with the re-shaped grips. I gave the guy my G22 almost right away...and its almost done.

Glock durability and reliability...AND...a 1911-ish grip angle. Sounds like the best of both worlds!

Think about it...you can buy a factory used Glock or police trade in for around 400 bucks and for another 100..have the grip changed. You have paid about what you would for a new Glock or a new version of the many othr polymer guns.

- Brickboy240

11. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Hey Brick...Did you install the Ghost yourself?

12. UncleBuck

Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    I have installed trigger bars on two glocks and it is easy just time consuming. You can also polish the pieces while you are there which really smoothes out the action.

13. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Very nice!!!
    It feeds SWC and is dishwasher safe:rolleyes: What more could you ask for ?

I guess I'll have to hold a Sf ... I never liked the angle of the full size Glock. But hey ... Grip angle led me to the XD so it's all good.

Is this gonna be your primary carry at work ??

14. Brickboy240

Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    I put the one in my old G17...not very hard.

My G22's was put in by the Glock Armorer/smith that is doing the grip reduction.

Big difference with the Ghost trigger. Lightens things up and takes alot of the "spongy" feel out of the Glock's trigger that I never liked.

Another col addition is the Glockmeister tungsten or titanuim guide rods, teamed up with the Wolff extra power recoil springs. I had this set-up on the G17 and the extra weight of the metal rod and the heavier spring made it shoot like a 22 rimfire. Very low recoil and ultra controllable. You might have to play with spring weights to see what works best...but if you like to "tune" your Glock...that is one of the best mods (next to the Ghost trigger). I have not played wiht the spring set-up in my G22...yet.

- brickboy240