Giving a gun as a gift... Across state lines?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Hooz, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Hooz

Hooz XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I am thinking about buying my Dad a handgun as a gift. My Dad is the one who taught me to shoot and hunt, and has generally encouraged my interest in firearms (for utility and recreation). He's always owned guns, but never a handgun. He's done a lot for me over the years, and last time he was down we went to the range. After a nice afternoon of shooting my various guns, he told me that he had "always wanted a nice handgun". His desire for a handgun for home defense was only compounded when my parents' neighbor was murdered in her home in the middle of the night, not thirty feet from where my parents were sleeping at the time... It's been a few years ago now, but that sort of thing always remains in the back of your mind.

Anyway... Since I am in a position that would allow me to get him something nice, I figured a handgun would be a great gift. The problem is that I live in Ohio and he lives in the "Republic of Illinois". What would I legally have to do to give him a gun? Are there exceptions to the transport rules that allow for "family transactions"? How would I find out? He does have his FOID, that much I know.

2. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you should just have him go through the hoops and then pay for the gun.
    unless you want this as a suprise.

i've considered this for my cousin and seems to be the reasonable/legal way in cali.

3. Timmy44221

Timmy44221 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is a ****ty situation. To give ah handun across state lines you must...

Ship the handgun to a dear who then does the 4470 (whatever it is) on your dad. You have to pay for the shipping and transfer fees.

Or you can go to where you dad is, and both of you go to a dealer, and fill out the form and pay the fee and then he can have it. You cannot have him fill out the paperwirk, and you pay for it, that is technicaly illegal. and you cannot just give it to him.

4. east_stingray

east_stingray XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    King Rod doesn't like guns, so he makes it as hard as he can for we knaves. You can, however, loan a gun to a friend or family member as long as you do not have knowledge that they plan to use it illegally. I'm pretty sure there's no stipulation to how long you can loan it.

5. 40SWXDSHOOTER

40SWXDSHOOTER XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When dealing with "Republic of Illinois" I would spend the extra cash and go through a FFL. You could go to www.packing.org ,and and find out for sure what the laws are.

Better safe the behind bars.

6. MGD 45

MGD 45 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thank God I live in Georgia....I just gave a buddy $400 bucks cash and he gave me a 1911 gun. Nothing else required or needed..done..finished.

BTW, what kind of gun were you considering...a semi-auto or a classic revolver? Can't go wrong with a good ole .357 revolver for simplicity and reliabilty. Your dad is a lucky man, good luck in your endeavor.

7. SimplyOrange

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    really? even if his dad does the paperwork and goes through the background and hooz just pays for it. thats illegal? thats a stupid law. you would think that would be ok.

edit: or can he just give his dad the funds.

8. Hooz

Hooz XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's how it is for FTF transactions here in Ohio, too.

My Dad is kind of "old school", so I was thinking about a decent, inexpensive 1911 for him. Second choice would be an XD-45 Compact, of course! I'd like to keep it a surprise, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

What are the laws for purchasing a gun in a different state? What if I took him to the gun shop the next time he was here and he "bought" the gun himself? Could he then, legally, transport it back home?

*EDIT* - I answered my own question!

9. 40SWXDSHOOTER

40SWXDSHOOTER XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I think what he is talking about is a "Straw Buy", and it's up to the shop owner if he thinks it's a straw buy or not.
    He could have his dad buy what he wants, and give him the cash to cover it.
    If the gun dealer even thinks it's a straw he will not make the sale, he can lose his FFL, and go to jail for it.
    www.packing.org is your best bet for getting the right answers for buying or sell guns.

10. zac07

zac07 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    uote:
    Originally Posted by MGD 45
    Thank God I live in Georgia....I just gave a buddy $400 bucks cash and he gave me a 1911 gun. Nothing else required or needed..done..finished.
    That's how it is for FTF transactions here in Ohio, too.

My Dad is kind of "old school", so I was thinking about a decent, inexpensive 1911 for him. Second choice would be an XD-45 Compact, of course! I'd like to keep it a surprise, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

What are the laws for purchasing a gun in a different state? What if I took him to the gun shop the next time he was here and he "bought" the gun himself? Could he then, legally, transport it back home?

I ran into this problem too, I do not think they will sell a handgun to someone out of state. Texas wont let someone from new mexico buy a handgun the dealer said it was a federal law, that you had to buy the handgun in the state you reside in.

11. SimplyOrange

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    that sucks if you come across a really good deal. actually when i was first looking around the stores here in Sac, another customer was visiting from alaska and the dealer mentioned he could send the gun to another dealer in alaska.

thanks 40swxdshooter that didnt come to mind.

12. retired

retired XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    It sounds like the best bet is the next time you visit your dad, tell him your surprise, go to the gun store with him and let him pick out his gun (you will have course told him before hand how much you planned on spending).

He pays for it (if he has the funds, otherwise you give the money before leaving his home) and that way there should be no illegality as he is doing everything at the store. If he pays for it there, you reimburse him when you get back to his home. Problem solved; no straw man purchase.

13. R Dub

R Dub Super Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    From the CFR:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=2c773d821e68378c3b21635a5e82de8d&rgn=div5&view=text&node=27:2.0.1.2.3&idno=27#27:2.0.1.2.3.3.1.10

14. Old School

Old School Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    You can always contact a gun shop that is local to him, work a deal, get a "gift certificate" and let your dad go in and fill out his paper work. I know it is not the same, but there is zero hassles this way. Where does your dad live?

15. Hooz

Hooz XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    He lives in Aurora, IL.