Give me the cold truth about the XDm handguns

Discussion in 'General Springfield XD/XD(M) Talk' started by TexasHiker, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Apr 11, 2017 #1
    TexasHiker

TexasHiker XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Recently bought my first xdm 9mm. It is a used model that was made in 2009. I contacted Springfield with the serial number and they gave me the month and year it was made.

I was on a facebook group chat with some of my glock fanboy buddies when one of them started telling me the xd line of handguns is subpar and junk.

Before I bought the handgun I had been looking at springfields for a long time, watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews. I never read a single bad review or saw a bad video, so I did not understand what he was talking about.

Give me the cold hard truth, are there parts in the xd / xdm that are prone to breaking?

So far I have only ran a single magazine through it.

Are there issues I missed before I bought the handgun? I have no plans on getting rid of the xdm, it shoots and handles a lot better than my Glock 19.

The rear sights are slightly faded and I want to replace them. Someone please recommend some good replacement sights.

2. Apr 11, 2017 #2
    minimum_freebore

minimum_freebore XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 49
    Blacked out rear sights are preferred by myself and many others. It allows you to look past them and focus on the dot on your front sight for faster acquisition. I have trijicons and plan on leaving the 7 year old rears in place when I replace the front. I like trijicon HD w a yellow front. TFOs are popular but I've never tried them.

The roll pin In the top of the slide that holds the striker assembly in place is prone to break. Gun will still fire when broken. After about 10 - 20K rounds. PRP has solved this for about $5. A coiled roll pin never breaks. Prob solved. Just as good as a Glock. Maybe better in some respects and vice versa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Apr 11, 2017 #3
    TexasHiker

TexasHiker XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thank you.

I was reading through the threads in the xd/xdm section and found a link to the replacement pins. They will be ordered very soon.

I have a G 19 and pretty much hate it.

4. Apr 11, 2017 #4
    Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3,653 / 62
    You anwered your own question when you mentioned that the person who put doubts in your mind is a Glock fanboy.

Some actually believe that Glocks are better in certain aspects, some just prefer them for their handling characteristics. Huge aftermarket support, interchangeability between models, and the fact that many law enforcement agencies use them are also reasons given for the preference.

The fanboy is so invested in his fanaticism that he will attemp to denigrate the competition without any evidence.

It's Ford vs Chevy, pie vs cake, Coke vs Pepsi.

@TSiWRX probably has more rds through the XD line than anyone else here, and not gently. He seems to be pretty satisfied w the longevity. The Glock is unworthy of it's cult following.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Apr 11, 2017 #5
    TexasHiker

TexasHiker XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You had me until that point.

Ford vs chevy, yes.

Coke vs pepsi, NO!!

Thank you for the reply.

I am going to change the striker roll pin out and put a new front sight on it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Apr 11, 2017 #6
    Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3,653 / 62
    I prefer Coke, but I don't HATE Pepsi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Apr 11, 2017 #7
    6thMichCav

6thMichCav XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +361 / 2
    Here is a different take on the issue: the whole XD/XDM line is based on the Croatian HS 2000. What few people know is the non-striker components bear a striking resemblance to the Yugoslavian CZ99, which is a robust and well-built hammer-fired DA/SA with a decocker. I have three CZ99's from Cole's that look like they have had the heck shot out of them--but they all function well, and the chrome-lined barrels look LIKE NEW.

However, the XD and XDM internal components are even bigger and beefier than the CZ99. I have a lot of confidence that with proper maintenance and a lot of shooting, they will outlast me.

By the way, I don't own any Glocks, but I will some day. The primary issue for me is ergonomics; but as Elmer Keith once said, "Man is an adaptable cuss," and I'm sure I'll learn to love a Glock 19 some day. And a 21. And a 23. And maybe a 26 or a 43....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Apr 11, 2017 #8
    Shooter59

Shooter59 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Take a look at Trijicon HD sights for your XDM. Hightly visible, quick sight acquisition and very durable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Apr 11, 2017 #9
    Amish_ninjas

Amish_ninjas XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +3,467 / 20
    The truth is the better gun is the gun you can operate better. I prefer my Glocks to my XD. Does that make them better? Not at all but in my hands I prefer the simplicity of the Glock.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Apr 11, 2017 #10
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7
    Thanks for the page. :)

TexasHiker, in-truth, nothing mechanical is indestructible. I've seen plenty of Glocks fail in classes, too - but for some reason, when they fail, it's just cited as mechanical wear, factory small-parts defect, or "meh, it happens."

Run anything hard enough and it's going to break. Guns are no different.

Keep your XDm well-lubed, and you'll be fine aside from the unlikely small-parts breakage. The gun will function just fine, dry, but high-round-count shooting (i.e. 400+ rounds in one session) or dirtier environments will cause eventual stoppages (you'll see failure-to-return-to-batteries first, initially from a failure to do so from press-check, gradually progressing to double-feeds), which you can delay or even totally avoid by keeping the gun well-lubed at its critical points.

Here's some past threads:

XD performance during training classes - my posts in this thread starts with reply number 12, but really, the thread is worth reading in-full so that my replies there can be read in-context.

The following is an older post upon which some of my replies in the above were cited. The thread where this one is located is long, and the signal-to-noise ratio there is pretty low, but this single post is more complete than the one above - Are XD's crap? - there's a couple of follow-up posts following that one in that thread that may give you more context in terms of my mindset on this "reliability/durability" factor, and may be worth reading, but in so far as my replies are concerned, there's no need to read past post number 177 in that thread.

About a year ago, I had a minor crisis when I was trying to decide if I wanted to keep going with my XDms, or if I should just abandon the platform and switch to Glocks. The main driving force behind this debate was my fear of the longevity of the XDms, as my round-counts are starting to really get up there. I actually debated the issue with a good friend of mine and I had enough cash saved to purchase two pairs of Glocks, their necessary modifications for my use, plus a truckload of mags - I was literally a trip to the gun shop away, when this thread popped up on M4Carbine.net:

Springfield xdm 9mm mags

Participating in that thread and searching up all those buried old and ancient posts on the Brian Enos Forums actually cemented my decision -NOT- to step away from my XDms. Instead, I went and bought a whole bunch of mags and small spare parts, having then decided to commit fully to these pistols.

A year later and after few pretty fast-paced classes, I have no regrets on my decision.

Given that your gun and mine are about the same vintage, TexasHiker, I would recommend that you replace the striker retaining pin with a more durable one.

I would also recommend that if your gun has been previously-owned, that you have someone who knows what they are doing detail-strip the gun and give it a once-over, paying particular attention to the small springs (maybe even to just swap them all out for new) and also critical areas such as the crown, striker, breech face, barrel lugs (particularly if yours is chambered in .40 S&W) and locking block to insure that they are all free of damage. If your trigger has been worked on by a previous owner - or you just don't know if it has or not - I would further recommend that you do "the freeze test" to insure that the sear will release when the gun has been subject to extreme cold. Finally, if the magazines are used, I would recommend that you pursue replacement magazine springs (again by-vintage, you'll likely need the "square bottom" ones - Springer Precision carries these; but if you have the newer "notched/dimpled" style, you can upgrade to the Wolff +10%) or you may simply wish to purchase new magazines, outright.

These are durable guns, with the noted exception of some very specific small-parts concerns (which every gun has) - and I truly feel that most of the negativity that pervades throughout the "serious use" world comes from the few bad examples that some instructors or other users may have witnessed, incidents that, had the gun been more popular and have been used by more folks, would be seen as the true outliers that they are, errors of usage (I include grip-safety "failures" here, too), not of the platform.

It's like Pincus and his crew of CFS-disciples suggesting that no 1911 can make it through their classes because they (the guns) all suck. :lol:

• Like Like x 4