Getting deployed the least?????

Discussion in 'U.S. Military Services & Veterans' started by ah8176, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ah8176

ah8176 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I just talked to an old schoolmate who is in the National Guard as an Infantryman. He's been in for about 5 years, so he's pretty knowledgeable about things with the Guard. I told him life must me tough with constant deployments, being a grunt and all. He said at the current time Infantry units in the Guard are in low demand and are usually not deployed as often as they were before. He told me it's because the Infantry is overstrength right now.
    This sounds, well, ridiculous. I still can't believe Infantry is overstrength. A buddy who was a recruiter in the Marines told me Infantry was locked out last year. I remember back when we couldn't get enough volunteers. He told me that CAG groups and Engineers are getting mobilized more and more frequently, which I understand. Afghanistan needs some MAJOR infastructure work still. I guess I just figured that particular theatre of operations would digest a steady diet of Infantry units untill things got REAL calm. I just guess I didn't exactly forsee a decrease in grunts deployments anytime soon. Anyone know why this is? Is this even true? Are Infantry units actually getting deployed less? Who else isn't going over anymore?

2. Thefatgunner

Thefatgunner XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well as an MP I'll say that on my last deployment Infantry guys rode ***** in my truck. Not that they aren't useful but the mission is different now.

3. intheshaw

intheshaw XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well considering i am active infantry we still deploy year on and year off. National guard and reserves deploy less because the need for infantry is less since the war is turning to a police action. But i still didnt see any MP's out there with us ever.

4. cce1302

cce1302 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The Marine Corps has been screaming bloody murder for more engineers. Engineers have some of the highest op tempo out there because so many are needed on both battlefields.

5. Stryker_11a

Stryker_11a XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NG infantry, deployed 04-05 and 08-09, both times as a land owning unit. RIPed in and out with AD units both times. We are on the schedule again here in a few yours. Not as high of an OPTEMPO as an AD unit but surprising for a NG unit, before our first OIF they had done KFOR.