Gander Mountain ammo prices! Insane...

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by jtelli71, Nov 18, 2012.

1. jtelli71

jtelli71 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just griping here. I visited the Gander Mountain is Geneva IL yesterday. I hardly ever go there, but I was in neighborhood, so I dropped in as I wanted to grab some 9mm ammo. I go and check out WWB/100 pk - $32.99/box plus tax! They are crazy high!! Now I can find that ammo all day long at Walmart around here for $23/box of 100 WWB. I asked the sales guy if the price was correct and he confirmed it was. I politely told him than any Walmart within 30 miles would have it for $23/box everyday, he told me I should get over to Walmart then - SO I DID! I went over to the nearest Walmart and bought 10 boxes of WWB/100 pack for $23/box. Gander will not be on my places to stop anymore....

2. Jrod45acp

Jrod45acp XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes ammo is high at my one here. Smokin deal on a used shotgun though...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. jtelli71

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I still can't believe their ammo prices. They also had 250/pk of Remington UMC/yellow box there for $75.99 or $79.99, can't remember, but again any Walmart or even Bas Pro will have those for $65.99. It's a shame, because it is a nice store and they had that market corner for a few years before BassPro and Cabelas came into town.

4. ekim

ekim XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I remember a guy with a Gander Mtn. shirt on at a local Wally World buying a bunch of ammo. He didn't answer when I asked if he was buying for himself or Gander Mtn. At another LGS they didn't even remove the Wally World price sticker, just put their price sticker over it, yea, the price was $8.00 more on their sticker.

The only reason I go to Gander is to look at something I might want to buy, with their prices they always have stuff in stock it seems. Then I can buy online and know more about what I want and save money to boot.

5. jtelli71

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ekim, WOW that must have been a site at Wally World. Amazing. I uderstand these big box stores have to make $$$, but they shouldn't under estimate that us shooters know the going rate of ammo. We can get it at any online store or wally world.

6. Fish609

Fish609 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    We have a gander mountain over here. There are very few cars there even around christmas time. My guess is that they charge so much they can get away with selling only 1/4 as much stuff as the next sporting goods store and stay in business.

The only time I every actually shopped at gander mountain was when I was young and was just starting to get into shotguns. My guess is most of the enthusiests start at gander mountain them move up to more reasonably priced stores after doing research for gun #2.

7. KentB

KentB XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 17
    Gander sometimes has good prices on firearms, but I always buy my ammo from Walmart.

8. XD_Texan_Fan

XD_Texan_Fan XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gander mountain sucks. I looked at guns their once and it was flat out rape. They can keep their sh!t. I buy elsewhere.

9. lakemg

lakemg XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Their gun prices aren't cheap either, but they have a good selection that allows me to handle and check them out but that's where my business stops with them.

10. Fileobrother

Fileobrother XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I bought my XD from Gander Mountain. I paid $499 for a 4" .40s&w, it was on sale. Then I spent another $75 for the warranty extension. Let me explain this part to you. Most firearms have a one-year warranty on them. Gander mountain offers a warranty extension that covers wear and tear, accidental breakage, etc. However, certain companies, like Springfield, have lifetime manufacturers warranties on all their firearms. Gander mountain's warranty extension covers the "life of the warranty", which means that I could dip my gun in liquid nitrogen, shatter it into a million pieces, and Gander mountain, under contract, will take those pieces, drop ship them(for free) to S/A, and in a few weeks, I get back a fully functioning weapon. I will never buy ammunition from Gander. I would probably never buy another brand of gun from them. But I will buy a Springfield from them, just for the simple reason of the warranty.

11. Black69ta

Black69ta XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If Gander Mtn or other overpriced LGS is buying ammo from Wally World only to mark it up and resell it. You can bet they are not doing it because they have an ample supply and no demand. My guess would be that these Anti-Obama scare tactics are driving up their sales of guns, and hey you're here might as well get ammo for that new gun at the same time.

On that note, in the last year if Walmart had built up gun selection, I bet they would really be cleaning up.

12. fedmanshooter

fedmanshooter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like some of you have one close by. They also are outrageous on some of their prices, no basically all of their prices. I have been in numerous times and have yet to find anything I was looking for that I couldnt buy alot cheaper somewhere else. Employees are nice though.

13. Frontier Owner

Frontier Owner XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I go to gander mountain every time I'm in houston. I rarely buy anything, but do enjoy wandering around and looking.

14. AnthonyXD

AnthonyXD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I buy these mega packs too. But I get them at Dunham's Sports. They have good deals every other month or so that last a couple of weeks. Go to their website and click on the advertisments. Then click on the outdoors catalog. They will have the Remington UMC yellow mega pack of 250 coupon. Print it out and its $57.99 each, limit two per visit. Now I don't know if the particular store I go to has a glitch in the system but both times I went to buy two boxes they were each $54.99 per box... so yeah... great deal!

I will; however start buying my ammo online here soon. Once I get my FOID and state ID faxed to Palemetto State Armoury I can have it delivered to my door. And the sales are pretty decent so I'll stock up on a thousand rounds at a time. With the shipping its cheaper than me driving anywhere. I have a property that I have a small range that I built in a big ravine and its the opposite way from town. So the gas used is not worth it to me.

15. ekim

ekim XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was out of line, but it just ticked me off. He could have at least changed shirts. I was looking for .380 ammo and that's what
    he was buying.