fur trapping and taxidermy with the brush- wolf lady

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Brush-Wolf-Lady, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Brush-Wolf-Lady

Brush-Wolf-Lady XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Some of you asked, so here ya go- a trapping ( and taxidermy) thread.

Background: I have been doing taxidermy since 1994, and started trapping in 2000 due to foxes killing my chickens in a crazed spree( 32 chickens, 8-9 ducks, 1 turkey, 1 goose- in 2 months). I trap for fur/control in season, and nuisance control year round as needed or as hired. I trap/have trapped red and grey foxes, raccoons, mink, muskrat, beavers, river otters, skunks, and possums. I have yet to catch a coyote or weasel. Maryland also has fisher as a trapable furbearer, but they are found in western MD and would requiring traveling and lodging for me to trap 1.

So I will start this thread with trapping pics, since that seems to be the big interest in the requests.

River otter- this is a real thrill to catch, since they are scarce in my area, but enough of them for a season( bag limit 5). I feel I am helping the trout out.

[​IMG]

Mink- slippery footed lil things, but plentiful, so if 1 out of 5 gets in one of the several traps, that is good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beaver and black muskrat

[​IMG]

55 pound beaver and xl male otter

[​IMG]

me with my first otter I ever caught

[​IMG]

dead beaver at set location

[​IMG]

more to come...

2. maddram

maddram XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    great pictures...Not much trapping goes on around here anymore

3. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Do use Victor's BWL? How do you prepare/de-scent them? Charcoal boil?

4. Brush-Wolf-Lady

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    caught same day- 39 pound beaver and a huge raccoon

[​IMG]

otter tracks at creek bank edge

[​IMG]

a mink caught in a beaver trap

[​IMG]

these 2 mink were caught about 15 feet apart same night

[​IMG]

part of catch 1 season- several foxes not shown due to being skinned for taxidermy use

[​IMG]

more to come...

5. Old School

Old School Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Nice beaver!

6. Brush-Wolf-Lady

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    raccoons and foxes- I have more pics of foxes than anything, they are the bread and butter of trapping in my area. I caught 81 3 seasons ago, and wasn't even trying that hard and had only about 7 seperate locations set.

I use different brands of traps btw- I have about 4 dozen victor softcatch in 2 sizes, a dozen #2 size traps with rubber jaws that are not victors ( bridgers with add-on kits), 1 dozen bridger offset laminated jaw #2's, A couple dozen #11 coon/mink traps made by Sleepy Creek in WV, Bridger beaver traps- 330 body grippers, Bridger 160 body grip traps ( mink and muskrat), 4 280 body grippers( otter and beaver), 1 dozen or so misc Montgomery traps for fox/coyote, 1-2 dozen Montgomery traps for fox, 17 lil griz geterz dog proof coon traps, a bunch of 110 mink/muskrat body grip traps by Victor, a dozen each of 160 and 220 coon body grip traps by Belisle in Canada ( these are heavy duty traps! I have used the smaller ones for mink too), and a bunch of cage traps in a couple different sizes.

Grey fox are not real plentiful here, but there are oddles of them closer to the Bay and on the Eastern shore. It is always a thrill for me to find a grey rather than a red, in one of my traps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

red foxes...

[​IMG]

this one was pooping duck feathers- lost 6 ducks in one afternoon and this was 1 of 4 foxes I caught within the next few days

[​IMG]

foxes often travel together, or 1 trapped 1 will attract another that also gets caught- I make 2 sets right by eachother for this reason

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these 2 got caught at the same set! I was using my 2 trap "hay set", after the farmers wife tipped me off to seeing a pair of foxes at this location the day before I set.

[​IMG]

my best 1 day catch- 5 foxes, 1 coon, 1 mink, 1 possum

[​IMG]

more to come...

7. LUVMYSIGP225

LUVMYSIGP225 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    Very interesting pictures. Never got into trapping myself. Actually, when I was a kid, I messed around with a Kona-Bear. I think that is what it was called. Never caught much.

Do you make stuff with the furs?

8. kayl

kayl XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cool stuff!

9. LUVMYSIGP225

LUVMYSIGP225 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    Ahhh MAN!!! I cannot believe The Mod went there. What is the world coming to?

10. Brush-Wolf-Lady

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    some coons

big coon caught at streamside set, I bait with fish oil usually

[​IMG]

big fat coon in a fox set

[​IMG]

this was one mean SOB of a coon, took me a while to get a good shot at his head, he kept rolling around and growling and jumping at me after I took the pic- he was caught in one of the lil griz dogproof traps

[​IMG]

more nice looking coons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Brush-Wolf-Lady

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well for some reason I can't get more pics off my host site right now- heck I probably reached my limit or something LOL- will try again later, and also try to get some taxidermy pics up too.

12. east_stingray

east_stingray XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Before you posted that part about getting a shot at his head, I was going to ask how you go about dispatching an animal caught in a live trap. Doesn't shooting them mess up the fur? I realize that a lot of people actually gun hunt for fur with things like Coyotes... I just figured for an animal in a live trap there was probably a better way to do it without risking blemishing the fur.

13. east_stingray

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Also... before I moved for grad school it was a hobby of mine to pick up fresh coon kills on the road and try my hand at skinning/tanning them. I don't know anything about trapping, and that way I felt like they weren't going to waste. Those things are greasy boogers! I never could get a brain tan to set right... they always ended up hard.

14. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I took a trapping course back in school, YEARS AGO, and always wanted to give it a shot. I looked up this past years fur prices though and they were VERY low. I may pick up some traps though and try for coyotes where I deer hunt and camp.

15. east_stingray

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    BWL; any advice on literature and the best source for equipment for someone who's interested?

16. Brush-Wolf-Lady

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

"Fur,Fish, and Game" magazine is a good starting point, they sell it at some walmarts and grocery stores. Also for a beginner, try Trapperman.com and Home .

I shoot only raccoons and possums, both are tough animals and hard to kill other ways. Though with a water set you can drown them by hooking the trap to a 1 way slider so when they are caught they go down the slider into deep water. Also the bodygrip ( conibear) traps will kill both if you use those type sets on them. I use a .22 on these 2 species and the tiny hole in the head does not make any difference, nor does the blood.

Once in a while I shoot a fox, but they have a different fur and blood can be messy as heck. I reserve fox shooting for foxes on drags ( the trap is hooked to something heavy like a cement block and the animal drags it and tangles in brush), and highly aggressive foxes. I shot 2 foxes this year just to see how long it takes to kill them- 1 with a .22 through both lungs, the other with a 9mm hp same shot placement. I wanted to know in case I caught a fox killing one of my fowl and could get a shot at it, how far the fox might go before collapsing from being hit. With proper placement, they wouldn't stumble very far.

Otherwise I kill a fox by stunning it with a sharp rap to the muzzle above the nose, using a hardwood pole. Then I turn the now unconcious fox over and hit it hard over the throat a few times. This usually does them in, but sometimes they are ultra tough and I have to stand on their chest. The skull is not messed up and there's no blood other than they might have a bloody nose.

Mink, muskrats, beavers and otters are almost always dead from the bodygrip trap or drowning set up. I have had 1 each of a live beaver, mink and muskrat. The beaver I hit hard on the head knocking it out, then pushed its head under water a few minutes and that was it. The muskrat same deal. The mink I had to stun like this and stand on its chest with 1 foot after knocking it out and pushing it under the water. They are a tough lil critter.

Skunks are a whole nother deal! Shooting them will get spraying occuring 100% with a head shot, 50/50 with dbl lung shots, so I utilize another method in which they do not spray. I like skunk pelts and don't want to have to toss them due to being all stinky. So I learned about the syringe pole method. I have this machined aluminum thing that screws to a painters pole, and takes a syringe on the other end. I add a needle and put 10cc's of acetone in. The pole goes to about 8 feet long and I approach the skunk real slow letting it stay calm, then let it sniff the needle before putting it over the side of its chest and gently push it in and depress it so it injects all the stuff in, then slowly pull it out and slowly back up and wait. The skunk just gets like its drunk and woozy and settles down like its going to sleep. I inject a 2nd time after it is unconcious, just to be safe. No spray, no stinky. When I skin them later I first remove the whole stink package on thier butt all in 1 section and put it aside so there's no accidental discharge during the pulling during skinning. An XD is much safer with one on the pipe than a dead skunk LOL

I will post more pics tomarrow.

17. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I used to trap coyotes.

Set some traps for a guy that had a problem with the yotes.

Called me back the next day and told me I had a Democrat yote in the trap.

I asked how he knew it was a Democrat.

He told me it had chewed off three legs and was still in the trap.

;)

18. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    dumb question about the coyote or fox getting your ducks.

Where do domestic ducks sleep? Are they in a duck house like chickens ?

Just curious i live by the water in Michigan, I am familiar with ducks, geese sea gulls and all the water foul, I just dont know anyone with domestic ducks.

Also do you raise the ducks for eggs, or do you have them as pets and ****s and giggles to round out your wide range of critters you keep.

19. Dhunter55

Dhunter55 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I love otters. I hunt but I believe in dispatching game quickly and humanely not letting it suffer for days while it tries to chew it's leg off to get out of a trap or suffer until someone comes along to put a .22 in it's head. Flame on!

20. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I did some trapping in my youth, but came to feel the same way, D. I don't disparage those that do trap, but it's just not my thing.