FrogLube = amazed!

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by ColoBrit, May 1, 2012.

1. ColoBrit

ColoBrit XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Updated: pics page 4 after range trip.

I know there are a few threads already on this stuff but picking a thread to write my experience in was tough so figured I'd just start my own.

A few days ago I fully stripped and cleaned my Xdm with rubbing alcohol to the point where I felt it was as clean as it was going to get...no residue of any kind was coming off if I wiped it with my finger or white cleaning patches, it was (I thought) clean as a whistle!

Last night I got home from work to see my FrogLube kit waiting for me at my front door. :D

Grabbed the wife's hair dryer and went to work heating up all metal parts individually. I started with the paste, the millisecond it touched the hot metal it melted faster than butter in a frying pan...generously applying the stuff over everything (except for the striker pin/spring area, and on the grip itself) and then used the liquid inside the bore. I left it all to sit for a good 45mins.

Came back to see a hazy gunky looking film...when I used the supplied cleaning cloth I was shocked at how much carbon and dirt it removed! The gun now has a very slick but clean feel to it, not greasy or oily, just slick. The slide action feels better than new too. After an hour or so I tested it out by removing the slide again and the barrel/rod etc and put the hair dryer back on the slide on the inside and it immediately wicked up and got slick. Very very impressed. Within a min or two it dried back up and looked like new again, no residue left.

Couple pics of the cloth after the cleaning
    [​IMG]

Other side, close up
    [​IMG]

I'm 100% sold on this stuff! It cleans like nothing I've ever known and it's safe to use! non toxic so great around kids/animals.

Looking forward to shooting it and seeing what it's like to clean/wipe down after a few hundred rounds.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. JJXDM

JJXDM XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had the same experience with it, works great.

3. Stratajema

Stratajema XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  4. jerryb

jerryb XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sold on it as well.

After a range session, I wipe my pistols with a paper towel to remove as much gunk as possible. Then I put some of the paste on a patch and wipe everything down with that. It does further cleaning and leaves a light film on all the parts.

As a final step before reassembly, I use the liquid and put a drop on the barrel and each contact point on the rails. I don't like the idea of shooting with a totally dry piece.

I have gone so far as to put the magazines through the process as well. It is amazing how easily they clean up after a few hundred rounds.

My XDM9mm has over 2200 rounds and my M&P 22 has over 4000 and neither shows any wear other than what is considered normal.

5. LCFD#22

LCFD#22 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love the stuff also. It's all I use on all my weapons. Great rust preventative along with a great cleaner. I shoot cast bullets which can be extremely dirty. They always come clean with minimal effort with Froglube. Plus it's not stinky or caustic.

6. Chadwick

Chadwick XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just started using it as well and I'm impressed so far.

7. Torked

Torked XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I felt alone - shouting out about it, but I love seeing others trying out FrobLube! Specifically the paste!

Absolutely the best I have used so far. Search my posts, and you can see the others that I've tried. I always come back to FrogLube.

Some Great stuff!

8. JayBo1001

JayBo1001 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, you sold me. Just ordered a kit from amazon. Thanks for the advice!

9. saluki6589

saluki6589 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here...I just "hopped" on the FrogLube kit. Ha. I break myself up. Sorry...it's been a looooong day.

10. otrxd4

otrxd4 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Never used the frog stuff but I used some Lucas Gun Oil, Its awesome, 1 drop goes a long way and the best part it doesn't dry up like Rem and other popular cheap brands. I have an AK i put it on back in august the last time I shot it and put it in the safe, it seriously is still there and not dry, im sold on the Lucas and yes that the same company that makes automotive oils.

11. Stratajema

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Why wouldn't you buy Mil-Comm oil and grease instead? It is used by many more military organizations around the world.

Here's a nice amateur experiment:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKkSRLQN_A&feature=fvwrel]Frog Lube vs Mil-Comm - YouTube[/ame]

12. insatiable ONE

insatiable ONE XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    I don't care for it.
    Not even on my airsoft.

I'll stick with SlideGlide & Militec-1

13. Stratajema

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes, there are also some good reviews of Militec-1, especially in light of it not containing PTFE.

HOWEVER, Militec-1, has failed to meet the specification of the U.S. Department of Defense. Read the very damming statements in the 2nd paragraph of this webpage: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-735R

And this: http://ww2.somdnews.com/stories/04242009/indybus145727_32181.shtml

Someday I would like to see a Youtube video of an extended rust test between just Militec-1 versus Mil-Comm versus Frog Lube.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  14. GrandmasTampon

GrandmasTampon XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea someone mention the frog lube on a thread I started about getting my first pistol. I asked what I should pick up for cleaning, (was at a store saw a guy take a lady into cleaning supply's and they came out with several bottles and stuff... For a revolver) I figured he kinda over did it seeing that it was obvious she "like me doesn't know much about cleaning".

I've read the reviews and have to say that froglube sounds really good, almost too good but I will use this for my new just purchased XD9, after of course I get to pick it up (live in Cali so 9 1/2 days left) when we opened the case and took the XD9 out of it's factory plastic bag I did notice it was very wet, even to the point when the salesguy racked the slide before handing the gun over to me little specs of oil flew out into the air.

So I plan on cleaning my new gun and treating it with FrogLube, hopefully it'll make her last a lifetime.

Sent from my fingers using Tapatalk

15. insatiable ONE

insatiable ONE XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    They didn't state much, other than the usual. blah,blah, bs.
    Just like Dragonskin failed their test. Although the company making it proved to hold up to small & large rifle cartridges, including multiple full-auto fire. (from several smg's at a time)